PDA

View Full Version : Network preferences

tammyp
26th October 2009, 11:21 AM
I have a 3 network card which I use to connect to the internet wirelessly. Recently I used it in a 'roaming' area and it seems that it will now not reconnect to the 3G network (hence a very expensive bill).

I have called three who asked me to download a 3 mobile broadband utilities for OSX and switch it to 3G only, which I have done but it is still using the roaming network. 3 are still looking into it and I now have to use my internet in various places to ascertain if it is the modem or where I live (never had it go to roaming before) - so not very immediately helpful.

I have searched the internet and read my instruction manual and it seems that I need to be able to reconfigure my network card to the 3G area, however I cannot see how to do that using the network preferences on my Macbook Pro OSX 10.5.8 - can anyone give me any advice as to how to do this?

Thanks, Tammy

Exocet
26th October 2009, 01:14 PM
I have called three who asked me to download a 3 mobile broadband utilities for OSX and switch it to 3G only, which I have done but it is still using the roaming network. 3 are still looking into it and I now have to use my internet in various places to ascertain if it is the modem or where I live (never had it go to roaming before) - so not very immediately helpful.
The light on your modem - is it flashing green or blue? If its flashing blue you're actually on 3G.

I have searched the internet and read my instruction manual and it seems that I need to be able to reconfigure my network card to the 3G area, however I cannot see how to do that using the network preferences on my Macbook Pro OSX 10.5.8 - can anyone give me any advice as to how to do this?
The built-in controls don't allow you to change network bands. I wrote a guide for 10.6 to set up huawei modems, and in the process uploaded the setup file for those modems. Download this file: http://tinyurl.com/mobilepartner and install it. Using that application, you can set your network band to 3G-Only.