PDA

View Full Version : Is Wiki Server alone enough to make the purchase of the Snow Leopard Server?

kurisu
26th October 2009, 06:30 AM
Hi there,

It was only the new release of the Mac Mini that I really appreciated the difference between the non-server and server edition of snow leopard. I'm so impressed to create wiki the apple-style.

I don't know much about wiki, except knowing it's a collection of bunch of websites and files that all linked together.

Would you buy snow leopard server just to get Wiki Server to collaborate with others? Or there are alternatives that are as easy as the Wiki server out there?

Cheers,
Chris

decryption
26th October 2009, 07:07 AM
Mac OS X server is great for the SME, but if all you want it for is a Wiki, you're wasting time and money.

You can install MediaWiki on your own web hosting, or alternatively, use something like Welcome to Wikispaces - Free Wikis for Everyone (http://www.wikispaces.com/) which does all the hosting for you.

The main benefit of a wiki bundled with OS X server is that you can tie user authentication to your already existing OpenDirectory set up, so your users don't have to create new accounts on the wiki software. It can also be used in other workflows, like Podcast Producer - which can publish to the OS X wiki quite easily.