PDA

View Full Version : Networking

Macinotsh
29th July 2005, 11:15 PM
Hello, new to the site and it looks good.
Anyway, to the point.

We have had a old PC running broadband through a externel D-link 302g modem.
And i decided i wanted my own computer, so i bought a iMac G3 when it got here, i pulled that bish out of the box and set it up. And came to a conclusion that i needed internet (because a computer wihtout the web is shit)

So i went down to 'Harvey norman', and the bloke there said to get a ethernet cable, so i bought one of those costing me another $30.00 got home plugged it in to the imac port and into the back of the modem. And nothing happened. So if you could tell me how to setup this network between the iMac and the Pc so i can use that broardband on the imac.

IMAC-
--------
500mhz
128 ram
20 gig hardrive
OS 10.0.3

PC-
---------
1.2 ghz
XP- home edition
256 ram
20 gig hardrive

Or.. should i just sell the imac and buy a iBook g4 and wirelessly connect it through airport express?
Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

spilla
30th July 2005, 01:39 AM
on the xp computer, check to see if an IP address is given out automatically or manually. if it's given out automatically you will have to check that DHCP is enabled on the iMac, or if it is given out manually you will need to manually give the iMac an IP, if you need any help on this, just reply back, and either i or other posters will help. :)

Currawong
30th July 2005, 08:25 AM
First, we need more info about how the PC is set up to connect to the net, whether the Dlink does the connection with a username and password or whether the PC does it.

Second, the system you are running on the iMac is WAY to old, and you have way too little memory to run it even half decently. I'd be seriously looking at upgrading both.

Macinotsh
30th July 2005, 02:24 PM
So you think buying a iBook would be the go?

Currawong
30th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Basically, you need a newer operating system and more RAM at least. If you don't want to spend the money on the iMac, then maybe get a new(er) machine that suites your needs.