PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling Safari?

Secoa
6th July 2004, 09:47 PM
Lately my version of Safari has been playing up. In that it crashes a lot and will not open some web sites. The tabbed browsing also is not working.

I have cleared out the cache and also selected reset Safari but to no avail.

I was wondering whether it is possible to reinstall Safari? Note I am running 10.3.4 with Safari 1.2.2 (v125.8)

If this is possible how do I do it and what should I look out for?

Would reinstalling Safari affect other applications?

Thanks

Buthidae
6th July 2004, 10:36 PM
Safari menu -> Reset Safari

Enjoy!

Secoa
6th July 2004, 10:46 PM
Unfortunately resetting safari only clears the history, empties the cache, clears the download window and clears out any cookies etc. It does not fix if there is a problem with safari itself. Truth be told I was tinkering with the Safaris preferences (com.apple.safari.plist file) and now I have stuffed up Safari.

It goes to show if it works don't tinker with it.....

Disko
6th July 2004, 11:09 PM
have you tried the usual tricks? eg: repairing permissions, resetting the P-ram?

Secoa
7th July 2004, 08:08 AM
I have tried repairing permissions to no avail....

By the way what is resetting P-ram?

the_argon
7th July 2004, 05:56 PM
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

in short hold down command + opt + P + R while booting

kim jong il
11th July 2004, 11:08 PM
Let us know how you went? If all else fails, remove safari and re-install. It SHOULD NOT come to this however. That said; I have managed to do some pretty amazing damage 'tinkering around'. I learned from it and that is almost as important.

cheers, kim

Secoa
11th July 2004, 11:28 PM
Well I actually trashed Safari and reinstalled it.

Most of the "bugs" have now gone away. It seems to be performing faster as well.

Thanks

kim jong il
12th July 2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Secoa@Jul 7 2004, 08:08 AM
I have tried repairing permissions to no avail....

By the way what is resetting P-ram?
By now, you are probably aware of this already: P RAM; paramater ram. Think of it as a flash ROM. It stores your computer settings (date/time/allsorts) and tells your machine (at a simple level) how to behave.

someone else may benefit from this info also,, so this is not directed just at you. Glad you got a result.

cheers, kim

Currawong
13th July 2004, 09:53 AM
Sounds like it could have been a permissions error...always first port of call is to open Disk Utility and Repair Permissions on the volume :)

petruk
14th July 2004, 09:48 PM
Also, if some problems still persist, try trashing the prefs file (backup beforehand if need be).

Cheers,

petruk