PDA

View Full Version : New Ibook Value

Mad1
29th July 2005, 05:26 PM
I'm looking at getting one of the new 12" iBooks in the near future, but I'm worried they will be too slow. They look like awesome value compared to Dells, IBM's etc. for the same size\price, but I see negative comments over the web how it isn't good enough - and no-one states a specific reason.

I've never used any Apple PC, so the only thing I can see that may be bad that I know nothing about is the CPU. Heaps of RAM, Good video card (even if it could use more RAM - it easily beats what Dell offers), Decent Hard Drive upgrades (I will need the 80Gb).

Would it run games like World of Warcraft ok?

Any info appreciated.

scruffie
29th July 2005, 06:05 PM
I would say that its simply too slow. I'm not a power hungry craving nut, but in some circumstances I do regret getting rid of my centrino. Currently using a 1 Ghz ibook and I'm not sure whether i should trade in and ahem, get a Dell.

The only reason why I'm sticking with Apple is because of Tiger. But Dell's offering is quite tempting. There's currently a Dell 6000 for $2,298 that has an 128MB DDR ATI Mobility Radeon™ X300 Graphics Card. Hopefully that would be more game friendly.

Mad1
29th July 2005, 06:26 PM
1 problem I seem to find is that there are no 12" intel laptops with a dedicated GPU. The Dell does look good for a bit extra, but ecery time i look at their wepage it makes me so mad that I have to buy Windows with it, and they offer FREE things like a Trial Telstra Dial up plan. Grrr

I wish the CPU's in the iBooks were better if they are too slow. I might have to try and stick it out until the Apple Intel laptops are released. I can do without a laptop, but I want one and I want one that I won't regret buying.

Mad1
31st July 2005, 05:52 PM
No other opinions? I am open to them.... Really.

I'm still going for a 12" iBook with an 80GB HDD upgrade at this stage. I have a someone to get me the education discount too. Is there any disadvantages to getting someone else to buy an ibook for you (ONLY because of the Ed discount)?? At worst I see them having to formally sell it to me second hand for 0$

Buthidae
31st July 2005, 05:57 PM
I wouldn't imagine it being a problem, so long as you don't stand there looking like it's obvisouly your purchase! :)

My old 1GHz PowerBook run great with tiger, and that was slower than the current iBooks!

mac_man_luke
31st July 2005, 06:08 PM
I think the Grfx card bump on the ibooks would help heaps, and as long as you have 512mb+ ram you should be fine

hMc
31st July 2005, 06:37 PM
The new 12" iBook is great value for money.
$1500 for a notebook running Tiger, iLife 05 with wireless, bluetooth, and 9550 graphics - Can't go wrong.

You can't expect too much from any notebook, there is always something you have to compromise on.

Give it a try - if your not happy with it you can sell it off at a decent price (can't say the same for a Dell)

Edit - The 4200 rpm hard drives are a bit of a let down. Apart from that ...

Cheers

downsys
31st July 2005, 07:25 PM
dunno bout games, but I use GarageBand heavily on a 1Ghz iBook, 768mb Ram and it runs well. not the best stuff, but good enough.

next upgrade for me would be a 2Ghz iBook, whenever that comes.

if you do decide to get one, contact me if u'd like to get a 256mb Ram upgrade (with a price of course, but cheaper than the stores surely)

iBooks are excellent value i reckon.

(if you have the money, get the 100gb upgrade, u won't regret it, trust me. mine's only 60gb coz that was the limit back then)

scruffie
31st July 2005, 07:48 PM
Can i retract the above statement for getting a Dell. I had to reformat a hard drive for a mate, reinstall all the drivers and programs, and connect it to a wifi. Never again.

Get the iBook.

Though it wont run the WoW well. My iBook struggled with the demo. Didn't bother buying the game after that.

With regards to someone buying your iBook to claim the edu discount, no problems. I got a mate to do that for me twice, I even paid for it. So i dont think they'd be too concerned as long as there's a student card to photocopy.

Rayd
31st July 2005, 08:58 PM
me personally, i am not going to upgrade to a new machine until the new mactel's come out :D so maybe a year or a bit... so then i get the best :D so maybe you should hang out a bit... or if you cant wait.. then i guess go for it...

btw: id check up on the WoW playability i hear that it actually does well with good RAM

Daltasaur
31st July 2005, 10:27 PM
The ATI X300 is really really very bad for games.

My Work 9300 (works property NOT mine!!!) has this card and WoW is barely playable. It is a horrible horrible card for gaming.

Go the iBook buy a dedicated PC with chunky video card for gaming or get a PS2/Xbox/Gameqube.

M

vicmeldrew
1st August 2005, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by downsys@Jul 31 2005, 07:25 PM

(if you have the money, get the 100gb upgrade, u won't regret it, trust me. mine's only 60gb coz that was the limit back then)
The 100 Gb upgrade seems a bit expensive at $310 compared to the 80 Gb at $155.

Can anybody comment on just how much an upgrade the new 9550 video card is compared to the old one?

Richard

downsys
1st August 2005, 04:22 AM
whoa, didn't realise it was that expensive!

then just do the 80gb upgrade.

Dunks0r
1st August 2005, 05:24 PM
scruffie,

There is a TPG notebook centrino for $1500ish that is a game machine with 15inch widescreen ( it has a 9700) which would fit the bill of a gaming laptop...

I am in the same boat, i have a 800mhz iBook g4 and considering a upgrade but not sure if they are much of a upgrade enough to consider the purchase, the idea of a new ibook is nice, but the idea of a new pc laptop is also good...

Dunnos... Might get the new centrino and look out for a super cheap mac mini to fill the mac void till the new Intel powerbooks come out.

Will be interesting to see the benchmarks of the 9550 when someone gets there hands on one... I know that they were a good card in pc terms a few years ago.

Still unsure what to do myself!

here (http://www.tpg.com.au/online) is the tpg notebook, alot of bang for your buck, even if it is a pc :)

vicmeldrew
1st August 2005, 06:08 PM
Just ordered a iBook 12" with 80 Gb from Apple. It was $1704 after the salesman gave me a $50 discount and an estimated 9 day wait. I did it over the phone and paid the full amount via bank transfer. I would have preferred to buy from a reseller but the Taylor Square Applecentre estimated 4-6 weeks to deliver.

Richard

pipsqeek
1st August 2005, 07:20 PM
I have a G4 iBook (1.33GHz) 14".

It runs just fine.

It's only when you get hot and heavy with the CPU. ie: GarageBand, Photoshop is still okay for most things when out on the run, and want to get some work done.

When people say its slow. It's not so much that its slow. It's that everything is faster.

But as someone else has mentioned, you have to take a sacrifice somewhere, and with the iBook.... its the hard drive speed.

If you really need more space, get an external firewire drive.

pipsqeek

tranp
1st August 2005, 07:41 PM
An iBook G4 is by no means slow. It is 'slow' in the sense that it's the slowest mac sold on the market at any one time. It compares well with low-mid range brand name notebooks in terms of value.

It's not as if you buy an iBook to play games on anyway... I only have a 933MHz iBook G4 but I find that I can use Photoshop with ease and run multiple applications no worries but I have 640Mb RAM, so that helps. I can run WC3, UT2004 fine mostly too.