PDA

View Full Version : Mail

jimmy
6th July 2004, 04:23 PM
Hey guys

I've been trying to setup my email account from yahoo on mail. I can recieve but not send on mail but it sends and recieves on entourage. i heard a rumor that it wasn't possible through mail but I thought I would come to the experts and make sure. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

jimmy

bazscott
6th July 2004, 07:51 PM
G'day Jimmy,

Certainly is possible, this has been working well for me for a while (in fact I have been routing other outbound mail from my work address through yahoo as well)

You obviously have the pop (inbound) part set up correctly. So at the bottom of my mail preferences for yahoo I have the outgoing mail server (SMTP) set to:
smtp.mail.yahoo.com:bazscott_oz

Clickingon server settings gives me:

Outgoing server smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port 25
SSL NOT checked
Authentication Password
Username (without @yahoo.com.au)
and then password.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Baz

the_argon
7th July 2004, 12:57 AM
The best way to setup SMTP would be to use your isp's SMTP server. I have heard that some isp's (optusnet??) block all SMTP traffic on port 25 that isn't going to their SMTP server.

You should be able to find your isp's SMTP settings on their website (it should be something like mail.yourisp.com.au.)

HTH

jimmy
7th July 2004, 10:19 AM
Thanks bazscott and the_ argon, its all working now, (i just copied your settings bazscott). i'm a bit of a noob but i really didn't want to have to use entourage.

Cheers

Jimmy