PDA

View Full Version : School Spying On Us

blackbetty
29th July 2005, 09:12 AM
I have heard that in a week or two, the school will be introducing a new program that lets them see what each user is doing and freeze their computer if necessary. The thing is, our school if a pc school and there is only a few mac here and there, i was wondering if they would be able to do this from their pc's to my mac?

the_OM
29th July 2005, 09:18 AM
I would assume so if they installed the necessary software on the mac to enable them to do it.

purana
29th July 2005, 09:41 AM
I'd be interested in hearing what the software product they claim will do these, sounds like an empty threat. Something to put fear into students. Although something probably exists, probably for PC, however can't see the product also working on Mac too.

Meanwhile see if you can find out what it is called, and then we can do some research to determine how true these suggestions are.

Bit hard to make judgement on something that isnt named or known.

iSlayer
29th July 2005, 09:45 AM
Yes there are pc products.Ive seen them in action.
Have never seen a mac product though.

There are mac-mac options but i dont know of pc-mac options

Disko
29th July 2005, 09:54 AM
iSlayer - Apple Remote Desktop can view VNC, so essentially it can view any computer on a network. Its a godsend here at work - if only it could update windows remotely :)

purana
29th July 2005, 10:08 AM
And who's to say the person who said this is merely saying/referring to some new whiz bang proxy server the school is going to implement with some fancy monitoring tools. Which means they could see what your surfing to in realtime, however it still begs to question what they really mean.

In anycase, once you know something further, be sure to post back. I always like a challenge of getting around something.

blackbetty
29th July 2005, 10:27 AM
will do

Goodbye
29th July 2005, 10:37 AM
Our uni has Apple Remote Desktop on every Mac there...I don't quite know what they do with it, but I don't like it! Seeing the binoculars sitting in the menu bar all the time :\

sikosis
29th July 2005, 11:06 AM
then again ... they have every right to do whatever they want ... you're using their equipment and their network.

the_OM
29th July 2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Goodbye@Jul 29 2005, 10:37 AM
Our uni has Apple Remote Desktop on every Mac there...I don't quite know what they do with it, but I don't like it! Seeing the binoculars sitting in the menu bar all the time :\
I'd say they'd use it to install updates remotely. At my uni all the macs in the mac lab had ARD.

LCGuy
29th July 2005, 01:26 PM
Interesting...our uni doesn't monitor anything. :D

eyeLikeCarrots
29th July 2005, 07:45 PM
I admin Macs in a university, ARD has a neat feature of running reports at a hit if a button, I can also disable the keyboard and mouse if the user is looking at pr0n or something they shouldn't be...

We also have a simular thing for PC's. We can use Novel Console One for the sam functionality.

ARD is better because there is bugger all performance hit on a host when you remote to it, giving you time to get a screen grab and call the responsible person near the machine to go and spring the lab wanker or whatever...