PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to have two Mail.apps?

wmyeoh
22nd October 2009, 05:45 PM
Hi there,

With SL bringing support for Microsoft Exchange 2007, I've started using Mail to access my work email on top of my personal email. This has been great but I find it a bit distracting after hours seeing how many work emails are piling up unread. I know I can just go into Preferences and disable this account when I want, but is there any way to have two Mail.apps, so that I can have one for work, and one for personal use after hours?

Hex
22nd October 2009, 07:32 PM
Would it be easier to setup a Mail Rule so that all personal email goes to a separate folder?

wmyeoh
22nd October 2009, 07:42 PM
Would it be easier to setup a Mail Rule so that all personal email goes to a separate folder?

They already do go into separate folders, but the problem is the unread count is always visible either on the left hand side, or on the mail icon when I'm switching over. If I could turn these off, that would also work.

insular
22nd October 2009, 09:27 PM
i have a smart rule for mailing lists that get new messages and dont change the mail counter icon, just move it to another folder and it doesnt get counted?

bullrout
23rd October 2009, 05:56 AM
They already do go into separate folders, but the problem is the unread count is always visible either on the left hand side, or on the mail icon when I'm switching over. If I could turn these off, that would also work.

You could use Dockstar (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20053/dockstar) for message counts in different folders, costs though.

tcn33
23rd October 2009, 06:09 AM
I have a similar setup, i.e both work and personal email. I set up a couple of smart mailboxes called Work and Home, which collects the two personal email accounts and two work accounts into one mailbox each. Then in Preferences > General you can set the Dock Unread Count to either one.

I don't believe it's possible to run two instances of Mail.app though. The other option is to run Entourage for work and Mail.app for home.

wmyeoh
24th October 2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks. That seems like the best solution. Mine were already in two separate folders - one for work and one for personal, so I just changed the Dock Unread Count as you suggested.

Entourage is an option, but I'm pretty used to using Mail, so it might take a bit of effort migrating across. I'm assuming Entourage supports Exchange 2007 as well.

I just wish there was some way of hiding these unread count numbers (but maybe I'm just being a bit fussy now!)

http://img.skitch.com/20091023-8kmf8qmi7tfxxcs4b4qs55w48h.jpg