PDA

View Full Version : iChat video a bit crap

Mikey
21st October 2009, 09:00 PM
I have just used iChat for the first time to talk to a friend in the UK. Its great and all that, with barely any delay, but the video quality is a bit crap - you can actually see it refreshing down the screen sometimes, and any movement is very blurry and pixelated.

We both set up iChat using a Jabber account.

Is there any way of making the video quality better? I was wondering if it was the Jabber account (ie free) that was restricting the bandwidth - it was only using 5-10 Kb/s of bandwidth. Any ideas?

Beau
21st October 2009, 09:02 PM
Sign up for a free AIM account to see if it is indeed Jabber causing your headaches. have had no problems with AIM/.Mac

Exocet
21st October 2009, 09:02 PM
Why not use an iChat/AIM account? Its built-in, free, and much higher bandwidth.

Mikey
21st October 2009, 09:05 PM
thanks, guys, will try that!

macuzer
21st October 2009, 10:47 PM
Yeah.... if you've got a decent connection and a free .mac/AIM account iChat is easily the best quality video conferencing software I've seen.

FineWine
21st October 2009, 11:51 PM
Yeah.... if you've got a decent connection and a free .mac/AIM account iChat is easily the best quality video conferencing software I've seen.

I believe Skype beats iChat and all the other IM programs hands down. The video is equal or better than iChat.

I have never had a failed connection with Skype whilst I used to regularly have failed connections with iChat http://forums.mactalk.com.au/11/38052-ichat-leopard.html

Plus Skype is the best cross platform IM around.