PDA

View Full Version : Mac alternative to Vegas Movie Studio 9

ausdan
19th October 2009, 04:55 PM
I saw a demo today of Vegas Movie Studio. I know iMovie is not that powerful so what would the closest Mac alternative be? Final Cut Pro?

vecsty
19th October 2009, 05:40 PM
What in Vegas Movie Studio that you want to achieve on a Mac ?

decryption
19th October 2009, 05:43 PM
There's Final Cut Express - it *should* do whatever you want without the cost of Final Cut Express.

aafuss
19th October 2009, 06:01 PM
It's a consumer version of Sony Vegas.

Final Cut Express would be a good alternative-as it's quite powerful (about
$270).

I'm considering Final Cut Express too as a Mac alternative to Vegas Movie Studio 9 (the latter I use on my PC).

iCarllovesapple
19th October 2009, 07:14 PM
I highly recommend using Final Cut Studio! It's amazingly powerful. Can't wait to get my hands on it =D

AnthoMac
19th October 2009, 09:17 PM
Final Cut Express - highly recommended (Mac only)
Final Cut Studio - for the stuff you can't do in Express (Mac only)
Adobe Premier (cross platform Mac and PC) - academic edition for cheaper prices
Adobe After Effects (cross platform Mac and PC) - academic edition for cheaper prices

Lachie
19th October 2009, 09:58 PM
Premier sucks. Buy Final Cut Express, Not as good as pro, but still powerful! More so than Vegas in my opinion.

Rant
19th October 2009, 11:19 PM
You haven't said what you want to do with your movie editor, just that Vegas looked good. Forget the demo. Everything looks good in the demo. PC apps are notoriously difficult to achieve the 'demo results'. Unlikely anyone here actually uses Vegas and I'm not sure how many have even seen it, much less know how much it costs to give you a $ for $ comparision (is it $200-300 ish?). The reviewers say that anything on a Mac is quicker and easier to use.

You also say that you know that iMovie is not powerful. That depends what you want to do. There's nothing faster to make videos than iMovie & you get a really slick result.

Final Cut/Express are pretty much the industry standard, and they do a brilliant job. But they are a right pain in the ar$e - the old film editing metaphors (slip, ripple, roll) just don't wash in the computer age of cut, copy, paste. Not that iMovie uses cut, copy, paste, but it does save you the pain of the film terminology (and harsh reality).

Apple used to have a link to download iMovie HD (2006 technology, though) for free. A lot of people liked that because it used a timeline for editing and accepted plugins. It's not officially available anymore, but you might find it somewhere.

iMovie does a very slick job, very quickly, and combined with iDVD, gives first class results. They're not professional, but unless you're a movie nut, I don't recommend you go for pro stuff (Final Cut or Premier). With power, comes a very thick manual, a big headache and a lot of frustration. I did one project in Final Cut Express and swore I'd never do that again (and I paid for the software).

Take a look at iMovie (http://www.apple.com/ilife/imovie/), you might be surprised. There's nothing quicker or easier to use. There's lots of demos on that page for all the hidden power and extras.