PDA

View Full Version : Shall I Move To Tiger?

morgan
27th July 2005, 08:30 PM
I am currently running 10.3.9 on an iMac G5 and am wondering if anyone who has upgraded thinks it is worth updating to 10.4.2? I am a student who uses my mac for research, writing assignments, my iPod, Digital Still Camera, Digital Video. Any thoughts??

emacmark
27th July 2005, 08:51 PM
I am a home user on my emac 12-14 hrs a day.
If you use ISDN then 10.4.2 does not work.
Dashboard is addictive and great, otherwise, I dont notice much difference to 10.3.9.
10.4.2 may do more, but I don't notice it.

Mark

Mohawk
27th July 2005, 09:54 PM
Let me just start by saying that I dont currently use 10.4, and origionally planned on updating to it from 10.3.9 once 10.4.2 was released. I'm also in the exact position your in.

The answer is basically, no.

Just like me, your probably attracted to get the latest and greatest, and after using spotlight at an apple store I can say that it would revolutionise the way you use your mac, but I would hardly call it a necessity.
The way I see it, if you have $180 and absolutely nothing better to spend it on (which as your a student I doubt) then I dont see any reason not to go for it (unless someone else can come up with a reason not to) but dont put yourself out of pocket for something you dont need.

I highly doubt I'll be getting it anytime soon, because I have other things like printers and drawing tablets I have to buy first.

Anyway, I hope your happy with whatever choice you make :)

Edge
28th July 2005, 03:18 AM
For me, the answer is emphatically yes.

The reason is Spotlight. It's turned years of careful file management into nothing. At first I thought it was a gimmick, like the Dashboard. But I was wrong.

When I want a file instantly, I don't go clicking through layers of nested folders to find it, I just hit Command-Space Bar and a few characters from the file's name, or its file type, and bingo; there it is. I love it in Mail especially. This also works in dialog boxes, so no more hunting around there either, even in non-Apple apps. I still file everything away, but now I don't care as much where I leave it, because I know I can find it instantly. Using smart folders helps too, so anything that contains certain keywords gets dumped in there instantly.

There are bugs, but nothing fatal. I'd try it out if I were you. If you spend as much time in front of your Mac as I do, you'll never look back. (Oh, and it's a little quicker than 10.3)

On-Site-Tec
28th July 2005, 11:37 AM
Not sure if this helps, But for me i noticed that 10.3.9 is VERY stable. Tiger still seems very buggy for me. That is after a couple of re-installs too. Just occasional crashing and things not running right. Although Tiger does seem a lot faster than panther when it isnt crashing.

Basically i went from Panther which might have crashed once a month to Tiger which crashes like once a day or two.

Nothing that results in loss of data. Just very annoying when i have to Force Quit certain applications or have to reboot because the dock and menu bar have completely frozen. Also yes i have done all my software updates.

But thats just me. Personally im going to put up with it because i love the features, Dashboard and SpotLight in particular. Also just the sleeker interface.

Matt.

The Fluffy Duck
30th July 2005, 11:40 AM
I have used both. There are heaps of reson to swap to tiger.

Spotlight is amazing . ITs more than a new search tool. ITs so intergrated. It can search INSIDE documents which is very helpfull.

Dashbored I thought was gimicky but now there are hundreds of widgets . Im doing multimedia and I have found many widgets which help my work flow.

I would say yes. But are those two main functions worth $180?? Thats a very hard question.

Caveman
31st July 2005, 11:52 AM
I think its worth the move.
Sportlight is a really useful tool.
Safari 2 is nice and the rss support is wonderful! I could not live without it. The otherthing is that apple seem to have added alsorts of neat things in which you dont really notice until you move back for some reason!

Thats my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Caveman

morgan
31st July 2005, 01:01 PM
The bloke at my local Apple Centre tells me that I can get Tiger for $129 with my student card, so I think I will take the plunge... Thanks guys.

queraxus
31st July 2005, 01:14 PM
Tiger has 64 bit optimisations - perfect for your G5. That's reason enough I think.

Devski
31st July 2005, 01:51 PM
There are some fantastic new technologies for developers in Tiger, so don't be surprised to see Tiger only versions (or features) of your favorite apps before the end of this year. So even if you don't need it now, you'll probably need it later (and before Leopard).

For many users, it's not if you'll need Tiger, but when. By not purchasing it you are really just delaying the inevitable (or waiting to upgrade and get it OEM on your new Mac).

DJY
31st July 2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by morgan@Jul 27 2005, 08:30 PM
am a student who uses my mac for research, writing assignments, my iPod, Digital Still Camera, Digital Video. Any thoughts??
As others have said Spotlight!

It is amazing... searches not only for files, but within docs, spreadsheets, presentations, even pdf!

So if you have a heap of reference articles... just use spotlight!
Couple of tweaks to iPhoto also seem to have kept alot happy...

I for one haven't used Automator yet...
but am a big fan of Dashboard!

josh64
31st July 2005, 08:31 PM
Although spotlight can be handy, I'd say there is no real reason to upgrade.
I'm using tiger on both of my macs but I can't say I notice any major difference. The only good thing is how the finder shows filesystem changes straight away.

morgs
31st July 2005, 08:46 PM
Fully get it buddy.

I love Tiger. The big things like Dashboard and SPotlight can be cool, but it is the little things in Tiger that I love the most.

Like if you highlight a word or phrase then control+click you get the option of Spotlighting, Googling or looking up in the dictionary. Mail.app is a huge improvement. ichat with jabber support is great and so easy to set up. I say go the full hog. Tiger, iLife 05 and iWork - pages rocks too.

Get Tiger - look for the little things.

morgs
31st July 2005, 08:56 PM
Oh and Safari RSS, oh and the little fact that I am responding to this Forum post because of the AppleTalk widget.

DJY
31st July 2005, 09:44 PM
I completely agree with Morgs!

It seems like ages since I actually thought about what I actually got in Tiger...
new Mail - much better
RSS - I use it every day
control + click on words / phrases is often very handy.

Whilst I haven't noticed huge improvements with video iChats - H.264 offers some very promising videos and trailers!

designers_hub
31st July 2005, 10:42 PM
I have moved from panther and tiger and basically the only new changes is spotlight, widgets and automator. The addition of 200 new features will easily go unnotice and you will realise that there basically exactly the same thing.

BUT. the reason why you would want to move to tiger is the speed boost. If you have a G5 you will really notice a explosion in speed. I was going to add a gig of ram into my imac g5 but after upgrading to tiger i wont need to. I can edit photos, videos and burn right through intensive processing task. PLUS the load up time is amazing, boot up is 20seconds flat compard to the previous 55seconds on panther! All with not one hardware upgrade. Tiger really does take advantage of the 64bits and it really is worth it.

Tiger also keeps your temperature lower, i've noticed that my fan rarely hits high speeds even when performing high task such as running final cut pro or iMovie.

Also the itune visualisation doesn't act as sluggish in windowed mode compared to panther.

I don't see a problem with crashing. In fact i find it much more realible. However, i only mainly use "high quality software" such as:
-office
-ilfe
-final cut pro
-photoshop etc
I don't use a alot of freeware stuff. I do use cyberduch, taco edit and psyncx and even though they don't say they support tiger they work perfectly.

in summary the new applications in tiger are really not that exciting but the speed boost is the MAJOR advantage.

***I don't get spotlight. APple is making such a big deal out of it and i don't see whats do special about it? Maybe its because I organise my files very well. I do agree that spotlight does help (i've used it once or twice to find system files) but i don't think its the holy grail of the computer world.
***Automator is great and its a real time saver but once again i don't think you should get tiger for that one soul application.
***Dashboard is nice but I can't use it along with my other applications. It will close everytime i go back to the desktop.
**Security is a good thing too. I'm a secuirty freak and i do like the private viewing in safari, I hate RSS i don't see the purpose, but panther is already very safe, i like how you can view the SSL certificate now.

Overall for the speed boost and MINOR software upgrades its a great OS and i recommend it!

1st August 2005, 10:24 AM
i moved back from tiger to panther this week while my computer is being fixed and i didn't realise how much i was going to miss.

little things like having the tv guide there when ever i wanted it (thanks islayer), the dictionary integration, spotlight, smart folders, etc. i didn't think that i was using those things all that much until they were taken away.

pipsqeek
1st August 2005, 02:03 PM
Another thing to keep in mind, regarding updates of OS X is that most of our drivers are also updated whether its a point release or a full update.

pipsqeek

downsys
1st August 2005, 04:13 PM
i've not upgraded...still on 10.3.9
don't see the need to yet.

but Safari has now gone buggy one me. quitting out suddenly.

also, seom probs with my shuffle. iTunes keeps telling me device not found when i add new songs. so have to do a system restore all the time.

Squozen
2nd August 2005, 12:57 PM
Tiger really does take advantage of the 64bits and it really is worth it.

Tiger isn't faster because it's 64-bit (it's not), it's faster because it's been compiled with a newer version of GCC that's better able to optimize code for the PowerPC. The PPC chip does NOT magically get faster when you use 64-bit code like an x86 chip does, so there is no reason to use 64-bit unless you're doing scientific/database work.

***I don't get spotlight. APple is making such a big deal out of it and i don't see whats do special about it? Maybe its because I organise my files very well. I do agree that spotlight does help (i've used it once or twice to find system files) but i don't think its the holy grail of the computer world.

You don't use Spotlight to find files. You use it to find data inside files. For example, I can notice that my Firefly DVD hasn't been returned and not remember who has it. By typing 'Firefly' into Spotlight, I instantly get my iCal event reminding me that Gringo hasn't returned it yet. Or, I could be searching for a PDF I know I saved a few months back about a certain topic, but the topic isn't listed in the filename.

I hate RSS i don't see the purpose, but panther is already very safe, i like how you can view the SSL certificate now.

Why would you hate something just because you don't use it? I don't hate CUPS even though I don't use a printer. I use RSS every day, mostly for informing me when a comment has been posted to my blog or when Drunkenblog has been updated. I use NewsFire rather than Safari's RSS reader, as I find it friendlier.

MadMuggle
2nd August 2005, 02:56 PM
I've just bought a new powerbook which has Tiger on it, I was using Panther before that on my original powerbook.

I LOVE Dashborad. Yes, it's a gimick, but hey, it's fun!

Mail is a better set up like the others have said.

Haven't used Spotlight much as I didn't transfer all my old files from my computer, so I've essentially starte again, so it's kind of empty at the moment. In 6 months I imagine I'll use it ALL the time.

I like the new screensaver in it too. :) I'm not one to download these things off the net, prefering to use the "official" ones, so it's good for me anyway!

Overall, for $129 student I would say upgrade if you have the money. I upgraded my old powerbook for my parents and it's running better than ever - no crashing happening there. It's only six months old though, maybe older Macs don't like it. Not sure.

gizo
3rd August 2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Squozen@Aug 2 2005, 12:57 PM

You don't use Spotlight to find files. You use it to find data inside files. For example, I can notice that my Firefly DVD hasn't been returned and not remember who has it. By typing 'Firefly' into Spotlight, I instantly get my iCal event reminding me that Gringo hasn't returned it yet.
eek! the power of spotlight has ratted me out!!

and worse, now you'll ask me what i thought of it....

/runs

Johnny Appleseed
3rd August 2005, 12:57 PM
Some dismiss Dashboard as a gimmick, but it's a highly efficient way of pulling information from multiple sources simultaneously.

I'm still discovering hidden gems in Tiger, from the system-wide dictionary to the Finder's photo slideshow capability.

andrewT
3rd August 2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by On-Site-Tec@Jul 28 2005, 11:37 AM
Not sure if this helps, But for me i noticed that 10.3.9 is VERY stable. Tiger still seems very buggy for me. That is after a couple of re-installs too. Just occasional crashing and things not running right. Although Tiger does seem a lot faster than panther when it isnt crashing.

Basically i went from Panther which might have crashed once a month to Tiger which crashes like once a day or two.

Nothing that results in loss of data. Just very annoying when i have to Force Quit certain applications or have to reboot because the dock and menu bar have completely frozen. Also yes i have done all my software updates.

But thats just me. Personally im going to put up with it because i love the features, Dashboard and SpotLight in particular. Also just the sleeker interface.

Matt.
this has been my experience as well.

blackbetty
3rd August 2005, 08:21 PM
the main reason i upgraded is that tiger is umpteen times more compatible with my school's pc orientated server,, things such as software update and safari now work on the network,, if it wasnt for that then i would have felt cheated.... i still fail to see the 200 new features boasted pre-releas