PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Picture Files From Windows To Os X

Latecomer
27th July 2005, 06:13 PM
I have just bought myself an iMac G5 2GHz to replace a Windows 2000 machine that has been driving me mad. I use my computer for the net, email, wordprocessing and ... manipulating and storing photographs.

I set about transferring my picture files (a combination of NEF, jpg and psd) using firstly an external hard drive and then, when Windows absolutely refused to recognise the hard drive, a 1 GHz CF card. The transfer is now complete but the Mac will not recognise them.

Any suggestions?

Squozen
27th July 2005, 08:49 PM
I'm not sure what an NEF file is, but JPG/Photoshop files should work fine. If you forcibly drag the JPG images onto the iPhoto icon on the dock, what happens?

edit: Ahh, the proprietary Nikon file format. Good luck reading that (I'm pretty sure Adobe would have a plugin). I've read that a lot of pro photographers are moving to Canon because Nikon refuse to reveal how NEF works.

Luren
27th July 2005, 08:56 PM
Also have a look at GraphicConverter (http://www.lemkesoft.com/en/graphcon.htm), I have found that very usefull over the years.

Latecomer
28th July 2005, 11:38 AM
thanks folks for your advice. Acvtually I mis-stated the problem Preview reads the files, even the NEF files. However, iPhoto gives an error message when I try to open them in it.

Mark T
28th July 2005, 12:26 PM
I have had no trouble dragging NEFs into iPhoto.