PDA

View Full Version : 40gb On Ibook Enough?

bdanielb
27th July 2005, 04:45 PM
just about to confirm my order for a new ibook and am just wondering how much space the preloaded software takes up in the harddrive?

I'm not sure if I should upgrade it or not, especially because it will push the delivery time back and I am going o/s in mid august... thanks.

Disko
27th July 2005, 05:17 PM
OSX takes up roughly 2.2GB with the default apps iirc. You'll have enough space for this and that. Personally, i'd go for an upgrade as 40GB will dissapear in a flash.

Byrd
27th July 2005, 05:26 PM
If you will use the iBook for basic tasks - Internet and Office for example, 40GB is enough. If you have an interest in music or movies, go 80GB ;)

JB

Kildare
27th July 2005, 05:27 PM
How long is a piece of string?

It really depends what you intend on doing with your iBook - data wise?

bdanielb
27th July 2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Jul 27 2005, 05:17 PM
OSX takes up roughly 2.2GB with the default apps iirc. You'll have enough space for this and that. Personally, i'd go for an upgrade as 40GB will dissapear in a flash.
thanks for the advice Disko... I think 80gb would be more than adequate right?

Im stilll using an old dell with a 4.3 gb hd and win2000 so 40 gb sounds massive!!! but apparently most computers these days have that as the minimum...

If you dont mind, can I ask how much gb in your mac? and what is it used on?

bdanielb
27th July 2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Byrd@Jul 27 2005, 05:26 PM
If you will use the iBook for basic tasks - Internet and Office for example, 40GB is enough. If you have an interest in music or movies, go 80GB ;)

JB
I never really had the chance to have music or video on my pc... so i dunno, just dont want to make the wrong choice...

the guy I spoke to at an aplle reseller said that the apple they have on display only has 7gb of the 30gb left... I was like wow!!! Mac OS X and office must use alot... but maybe not?

how much do you guys have? what do you have it filled with?

tempestas
27th July 2005, 07:50 PM
My G4 1Ghz iBook has the 60Gb drive and I am down to 16Gb free, I have over 10Gb of music and about 5 Gb in movies. I also have two firewire external drives of 160Gb and 200Gb without which I would of long run out of space.

Once you have iTunes, especially if you get an Airport Express and connect it to your stereo, you will very soon move the bulk of your CD collection over.

Go the biggest disk you can afford, but as an iBook is a portable you will need to consider a back-up drive of some description.

I have used a quality drive (WD and Seagate) in a no-name enclosure as a price/quality trade-off.

chocho
27th July 2005, 09:14 PM
hi
60-80g would be nicer but you have to wait to bto. you can always go with the standard 40g which will deliver to you quickest, and buy an external/portable (fw) faster 5400-7200rpm drive as your back up/storsge solution! and then, one day when the laptop 5400-7200rpm drives become more affordable, you have the choice to fit one in the ibook and watch her speed up. hope this helps

safe journeys and enjoy your new toy!

:)

simonpeng
28th July 2005, 12:10 AM
I don't think 40GB is enough.

I am using PowerBook G4 now, it's 80GB HD and I have 48 GB left now.

I am not advanced or professional user, just normal user, web browsing, word processing, spreadsheet, email, iPhoto. Basically I save everything into my PowerBook since I bought it, I still have several GB of photos, document, reference waiting to import from PC. Spotlight and Automator makes files sorting extremely easy.

purana
28th July 2005, 08:36 AM
If you can afford it and it dont affect wait time that much, I'd upgrade the disk. Then you won't regret not doing it.

geektechnu
28th July 2005, 08:45 AM
If the iBook is going to be your main machine, then definitely look at getting a bigger HDD.

If it's going to supplement a desktop machine, then 40gb might be plenty (depending on how you use it). You could also upgrade the drive at a later stage, or consider buying an external drive or iPod if you need extra room later.

bdanielb
28th July 2005, 03:22 PM
thanks for all the advice and responses.... its much appreciated.....

so i will use my ibook for browsing the web, typing some office documents, playing the odd game, uploading the odd cd itunes for my ipod (my ipod mini still has 2gb free), watching the odd dvd.... im thinking i might be right with the 40 gb?

I checked out my bro's computer and he has a 160gb hard drive and has only used 16gb.... seem like a waste to have 144gb free, and especially with the ibook i would have to wait extra and it its another $150..... im so confused....lol

what about ram, 512mb is good isnt it? or do i need more? basically im paying for it with my master card so its not cash that i have and because im going o/s I would rather spend money over there.....

if you have 512mb in an ibook is that such a bad mac experience?

Kildare
28th July 2005, 04:04 PM
512MB is great. The 256MB standard on the old models was pretty lame.

You can always add more RAM yourself later if you feel the need. Much cheaper than buying from Apple.