PDA

View Full Version : TomTom operating charge

Spud
16th October 2009, 08:56 AM
Hi

Anyone have some idea of what its going to cost me having started my tomtom app and having reached my destination half an hour later ?

btw i'm with optus 45 plan, so its somewhat limited service

Thanks

:cool:spud

mitty
16th October 2009, 08:58 AM
^Um, nothing? Tom Tom includes all your maps, so as far as I'm aware doesn't use any data (or probably next to nothing).

kyte
16th October 2009, 08:59 AM
Its not going to use your data plan at all except *possibly* to use cell towers intially to get a faster lock. After that, its between you and the satellites.

Spud
16th October 2009, 09:02 AM
assume thats if you have the cradle with built in gps which i havnt

doesnt the device use the network for location pinging/pinning ?

mitty
16th October 2009, 09:41 AM
The Iphone uses AGPS... assisted GPS. With normal GPS it can take a few minutes to get a satellite lock. With AGPS, the iphone uses the location of nearby towers to determine a rough locations, which in turn gives it information about what satellites are in the sky, therefore getting you a GPS lock much faster than usual. In doing this, yes it would use a bit of data, but hardly any. And it would only need to do this once.

But if you are that worried about it, I would highly recommend getting at least some sort of minimal data plan. The iphone is severely crippled without data... even 100mb would be better than nothing.

I don't think the Tom Tom cradle would use AGPS but we probably won't know until it's released. No information on when that will be, yet.

EDIT read all about AGPS here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS).

kyte
16th October 2009, 11:33 AM
assume thats if you have the cradle with built in gps which i havnt

doesnt the device use the network for location pinging/pinning ?

I think you should clarify exactly which phone you have. my 3G[S] for example, works just fine without even having a SIM in it.