PDA

View Full Version : Warranty for 1 stuck pixel?

schmuppet
4th July 2004, 09:41 PM
Anyone manage to get a warranty repair/replacement on their Powerbook for only 1 stuck pixel? I know it's not policy to do so but I thought someone might be able to make it happen for me anyway. My last powerbook had a stuck pixel too and it's getting annoying.

Phillip
4th July 2004, 10:03 PM
the last time i heard the warranty was for 7+ pixels and 3+ of the same area. don't quote me thou.

pipsqeek
4th July 2004, 10:07 PM
I spent 3 hours inside an AppleCentre once, and that was with two dead pixels.

I love the looks on their faces as I enter that shop......god, they love me. :P

Only advice I can give is to keep at it...and keep repeating your request...fight for it!

We go out of our way to buy the best computers in the world, atleast they can try to live up to it.

To me, one dead pixel was too much as I do alot of astronomy work.

Steve

Phillip
4th July 2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Jul 4 2004, 10:07 PM

I love the looks on their faces as I enter that shop......god, they love me. :P
LOL

great advice...

personally i would do it if i got a computer which cost more than pcs at the same price so at least they try to give me a perfect screen. unless of course if i bought a ex-demo then thats a different case.

schmuppet
4th July 2004, 11:12 PM
Nice advice guys. Thing is I purchased the powerbook off the online store, so do I just ring them up and complain? Also, if i get warranty work done on it does it go to a store or do I send it off to Apple?

Phillip
5th July 2004, 12:12 AM
i don't thing ringing will do anything. take it into the store and do it in their face. thats what i would do. ;)

pipsqeek
5th July 2004, 08:29 AM
In their face!

Phone conversations mean nothing...they are sitting on their end, going. "yeah yeah yeah, whatever...fwah! glad he's gone now"

Stay there, annoy the shit out of them, make a point that your problem is annoying.

Steve

*edit*
Do not leave the shop until you have your desired answer. After I found my dead pixels. I called the shop up to ask about it, and was told that it would be okay, just bring it in and we'll swap it with a good one. When I got there, it was a whole different story. I was on the techies case, the sales guy was on my side, they made me call HQ, then the manager came out, when she started to ignore me, I started to follow her around the shop, out back, into her office, hung up the phone while she was talking on it...mentioning, isn't that so annoying, alot like those DEAD PIXELS ON MY SCREEEEEN! When on the phone to head office, being told that there is nothing I can do and nothing they can do to change the policy, I say, hmmm, and lets look at that policy.

The policy that they made public at the time only stated that each case was taken on its own merits. I thought mine was pretty valid, doing alot of astronomy work, taking astro photography, having the public (sometimes up to 700 visitors a night) at the astronomy club (www.sasi.net.au) mentioning that people were genuinely interested in such a small but powerful laptop, until they saw those red dots hanging around a fairly obvioous part of the screen. 1.5" down from the file menu, about 2 inching inwards. She read me a different policy, and I basically told her to stick that policy up the $(*#@. That basically that policy is invalid because its not made public, not very easy to find if it is available and you can't have two policies on the same issue, especially in this case where I feel that my case is a valid one, and you think I need more dead pixels.

In the end, I just hung up on her, and just before I did, mentioned that I am getting nowhere with you.

Got back to the sales guy, which was sympathetic towards my problem. Went back to the Manager. annoyer her some more..

3 hours later, I finally convinced them to take a look at the machine. I go home. Satisfied that I have atleast acheived something...but in the back of my head, thinking, they aren't gonna do shit...but they better be prepared for the abuse that is about to come from my mouth...with my body language to back it up. Not even half way home (20mins drive) I get a call on the mobile.

They tell me that the firewire port does not work. I say, "great, fix that too while your at it." The manager says that this warrants a replacement.

Now, here's where it gets bizarre. I get the old iBook back, use it for a few more days, back up my stuff over the network. Just for my own curiousity, I plug an iSight into it, wow, it works, I plug a fiwi hdd into it, wow, it works. I thought they lied, they did, but I don't care. I got my new iBook a few days later. No dead pixels, the firewire port works, HA!

I even said to them that if I never chucked a stink, I would have found out about the fiwi port months later and it might have been too late. Glad you guys looked at it. I was getting warmed up with what you had coming.

Walked off with my new iBook.
*edit*

Phillip
5th July 2004, 11:29 AM
i think the next time i buy apple hardware, i will buy it from a store and check the screen before i pay... :P

schmuppet
5th July 2004, 01:57 PM
Haha ya see here's the thing, this pixel only turned blue yesterday. I've had the powerbook for about 6 weeks. Checking it before purchase wouldn't have done much in my case. Also, as I bought it off the Apple Store online, can I really go into any old store and annoy them about it?

Currawong
5th July 2004, 09:56 PM
I have an intermittent faulty pixel which works properly if i tap it. It goes red when it's faulty.

I'd say if you had 3 prominent dead pixels, consumer affairs would be on your side if you complained.

schmuppet
5th July 2004, 10:42 PM
I had a blue one on a desktop display (got 2 19" Samsungs on my G4). It turned up about 6 hours after getting the thing home from the shop, by the next day it was gone and has never come back in the past 8 or 9 months. Weird.

pipsqeek
6th July 2004, 01:42 PM
Samsung...they are one of the only manufacturers left that have a zero dead pixel policy.

The bad thing about them is that, they only give you 7 days or something. After that, its a larger number before returning.

Steve

dogmatic
6th July 2004, 04:31 PM
I had 1 dead pixel on my 17pb for about 10 months. All of a sudden, it just disappeared. I was bamboozled. Now, it comes back every so often - but I find if I *gently* push the screen with my finger where the dead pixel is... it fixes itself again. Strange to say the least.

LCGuy
7th July 2004, 03:40 PM
Back when my 1400 was new, i had 2 pixels stuck on red. When they didn't magically disappear, i just gently rubbed 'em and they went good.

pipsqeek
8th July 2004, 09:41 AM
Upon receiving my new iBook, it was noted by both me and the Apple techie that there was definately something wrong with the previous iBook's screen.

The contrast was very different, duller on the old one. And the screen actually had a slight bow at the bottom. Unoticable when looking at it, but noticable when you have a prefectly good, working example next to it...the gap between the screen and the bezel at the bottom (near the "iBook" logo) was wide enough to slot your finger nail into.

Fortunately I chucked a stink, otherwise I would still have a crappy iBook, with an even crappier screen, and no firewire port.

Those three hours spent at the AppleCentre were worth missing out on half a days worth of TAFE.

Steve

Ozi
23rd July 2004, 11:34 AM
:lol: nice story pipsqueek! I reckon they just made up that there was something wrong with your FW so they had an excuse to replace your book. :) Anything to get rid of you! LOL

Also, use http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/11661 to ensure you really do have a stuck pixel, or to make sure you are dead pixel free. :)

pipsqeek
24th July 2004, 09:28 AM
The firewire story was a lie. I had the iBook for a few more days until the replacement arrived.

I tried an external fiwi HDD as well as iSight. Which all worked fine.

Either way, I didn't care. I just wanted it fixed.

BTW, my logic board died on Thursday evening. Apparently a new oen has been ordered, and I should have her back by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Steve