PDA

View Full Version : Help with Port Mapping

iPath
14th October 2009, 03:15 PM
I have never attempted Port Mapping before and had a quick look in the Airport Utility today and have some questions i'd like some help with so that i can set up my IP security camera to be viewed off my network.

I have my IP camera connected to the back of my Airport Extreme. I know the cameras IP and when i type it into firefox or safari it works so now i need to know what i am supposed to enter into the port mapping section in the airport admin utility.

When i go into the Port mapping section and select the + symbol to add something what do i do from here? What service should i be selecting from the drop down list and what should be entered into the public/private UDP and TCP port section? Also my understanding is where it says private IP address that this is supposed to be the IP of the camera?

Thanks in advance for any help.

iPath
14th October 2009, 05:56 PM
So no one knows about port Mapping?

~Coxy
14th October 2009, 06:13 PM
If you go to http://<camera IP address> in a browser than that works fine, then what you need to do is set a remote port 81 or whatever to local TCP port 80, private IP address = camera's LAN IP.

If you have to go to http://<camera IP address>:<port number>, then that port number is the local TCP port. The remote port can be anything.

Once that's setup, then accessing http://<external IP address>:<remote port number> should give you your camera, as if you were on the local network.

cgollner
14th October 2009, 06:15 PM
iPath,

You don't need to choose a service unless one of the prefined ones does what you want it to.

The public UDP/TCP ports are the ports that you want to access the camera on. These do not have to be the ports that the camera uses. You can choose basically any ports(s) between 1025 and 65535.

The private IP address is the IP address of your camera on your LAN.
The private UDP/TCP ports are the actual ports that your device listens for traffic on. These would be in the manual.

When you access it externally

external Ip/externalTCP/UDP ---> Airport ----> private IP/private UDP/TCP

This should cover it.
Chris

iPath
15th October 2009, 04:30 PM
Woah,

Complicated eh.

So the UDP/TCP ports are the ones that i want to access the camera through so what should they be set at? Do they both need to be the same (1025 etc) or are they supposed to be different? Do i set these values at a random number picked from the sky or do the UDP/TCP ports need to have certain numbers for my camera to work?

The manual doesn't say anything about the private ports or what these values should be set on, so once again can random numbers be used and do these numbers have to correspond with the public ones?

If i type the IP into my web browser now i can view all the details of the camera and it says HTTP server: Port 80 - Audio Port 1500. Do these play any part in the configuration?

Also, If i go to the Server part in the web browser it says about the FTP server being on port 21 and that it is set to Port mode but there is an option for Passive mode. Would these make any difference?

I am just unsure of what all 4 sections the UDP/TCP in public and private need to say in them and then what i should be entering into the web browser to view this thing off my network.

My apologies if i am coming across vague with this, truth be told this is very foreign to me so it is a little tricky but im sure once i get it going and understand it properly it will be all good but in the meantime i thank you all very much for the help you are providing me.

Dazzzz
19th October 2009, 02:33 PM
Hey iPath,

It's not too complicated once you get the hang of it. Based on what you have typed, port 80 is how you view the interface to your camera, including streaming video. Port 21 (FTP) is most likely used to download saved videos from the camera. You probably won't need to do this externally, but if you did, you have to open that port too. Port 1500 is for audio, so unless you were wanting to hear the videos remotely, I probably wouldn't worry about it.

A useful table from Apple is here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1629

You can probably leave the UDP ports empty, as these are just TCP ports. So I'd create two entires. Choose Personal Web Sharing to get port 80 and then FTP access for port 21. Put the local IP address of your camera in the Private IP Address field.