PDA

View Full Version : Apple x serve - no idea?

S0phieS0ph
12th October 2009, 08:54 PM
Hi,

I am totally new to macs and need some help. My dad passed away this year and I have been given his ex-architectual company apple xserve to try and sell. I believe I have a Apple XServe Model number A1068. Is this worth selling second hand? I have 4 drives that appear to be just the trays (Hard drives kept for archive information), but 3 slots these can go into. The whole server is very heavy.

I have NO idea what it is, what it has on it etc. Can I sell this myself, or should I take this to a techy who can tell me what it is worth/what is the specs? Can't really sell anything if I have no idea what it is/on it etc.

Not sure if I should try to sell it or if its for the bin - totally clueless here and none on ebay/gumtree I can see. I have been given a loose valuation of $3,500 but I believe this is way off since the drives have been emptied and I have no install Cd's or anything.

Apologies if this is not the right area for this question.

decryption
12th October 2009, 08:56 PM
No way is it for the bin. That $3,500 guess is pretty high, but slap it up on eBay and you'll get at least $1,000 for it.

ZacDavies
12th October 2009, 09:47 PM
Yep, it's an expensive piece of tech! Don't discard!

leon
13th October 2009, 07:24 AM
Is there a label on it somewhere that indicates CPU speed/RAM configuration?

Sounds like your model could be a single or dual 2.0GHz G5.

At a minimum you would be looking at $800 with no drives and single G5. If it were a dual 2.0GHz with a lot of RAM, then $1000+ is achievable on eBay.

Jaste
13th October 2009, 07:36 AM
Where abouts is the server located? If it is close by to someone here on the forums they may be able to come and check it out for you to tell you exactly what you have.

mac_man_luke
13th October 2009, 08:11 AM
I wouldnt think it would be worth $1000 just because its PPC which limits which OS can run on it and would not be that fast

~Coxy
13th October 2009, 10:41 AM
Yeah, not too many XServes on eBay recently but one that has been sold was a dual G5 for $800; and a slightly lower specced G5 didn't sell at $700. A G4 model sold for $250.

bartron
13th October 2009, 10:50 AM
I wouldnt think it would be worth $1000 just because its PPC which limits which OS can run on it and would not be that fast

Maybe not worth $1000...but a ppc server is still useful as usually the architecture doesn't matter. File, print, directory etc are platform independant and g5 will run leopard server quite well

S0phieS0ph
13th October 2009, 12:24 PM
Just want to say a big thank you to everyone for replying. This is a massive help to me.

I have done some further investigating and found the following on the back of the xserve in tiny writing:

EMC#: 1994 - Assembled in USA
2.0GHz/512MB/80GB ADM/CD/RA7000

It has the following ports:
2 USB ports
2 Ehternet ports
1 video/monitor port 15pin
1 serial port 9pin
1 Power port
2 Firewire ports
No CD (the monitor port is where the CD tray should be I believe)

Behind the fan it also says:
Model No: A1068 100-240V
5.5A Max, 50-60 Hz

I have 4 empty trays but 3 slots these look like they slide into. Also a firewire port at the front with power botton, lock dial and a triangle warning button?

Does this help determining what I have and what its worth?

Thank you to everyone once again!

cmanou
13th October 2009, 12:49 PM
From the model number and mactracker it is a 2004 Xserve G5

LCGuy
13th October 2009, 01:47 PM
If it has 3 hard drive trays, it would be a proper Xserve (and not an Xserve Cluster Node, which has 1 hard drive tray and NO CD/DVD drive) and will have a CD/DVD drive, only its a slot loading unit, not a tray loading model like what you might be used to on a PC, its on the front, as can be seen in this image:

http://www.viglen.co.uk/apple/Images/Xserve.jpg

(yes, the ports on the rear of your Xserve will be different, this is more recent model, but the front will still be the same, and the CD/DVD drive location and type should be identical)

S0phieS0ph
13th October 2009, 01:55 PM
Yes LCGuy, that is the front exactly. And yes it has a slot cd drive at the front. Back is completely different as your mentioned.

Jaste
14th October 2009, 08:26 AM
If you post this on eBay let us know. Which city are you in as these things tend to be expensive to ship around the place?