PDA

View Full Version : Pizza, straight from your iPhone!

MrJesseRoss
12th October 2009, 03:11 PM
Pizza Hut To Launch Australian iPhone App And 3G Ordering Service | Gizmodo Australia (http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/10/pizza-hut-to-launch-australian-iphone-app-and-3g-ordering-service/)

Pizza Hut announces iPhone app and 3G mobile ordering service

Today Pizza Hut Australia announced it will launch an iPhone app and 3G mobile phone ordering service in the Australian market within the coming months.

The Pizza Hut iPhone app has already been a huge success in the U.S., where there were 150,000 downloads in just 30 days.

Locally, interest in the Pizza Hut iPhone app is hot even before the local version is available, with Australians already attempting to download the U.S. app in the days after it launched.

“There’s an appetite for the Pizza Hut app here and we’re thrilled to be bringing this to Australian pizza lovers. Along with our clever new 3G mobile phone ordering service, it’s never been more fun and convenient to order and enjoy delicious Pizza Hut meals,” said Pizza Hut Australia Marketing Director Valerie Kubizniak.

The U.S. iPhone has impressed not only consumers but the digital industry, receiving rave reviews online and scoring a prestigious MOBI award in New York this month.

In fact, Apple itself has featured the Pizza Hut app in its own advertising!

The Australian app will be as entertaining and as much fun to use as the U.S. app which features a virtual fridge and a free racing game to play while you wait for your pizza.

Kubizniak added Pizza Hut’s soon-to-arrive 3G mobile phone ordering service was another major digital investment for the company that would change the way people ordered their food.

“We have some brilliant new digital innovations to talk about in the coming months – it’s an exciting time,” she said.

I'm not quite sure what exactly makes this more convenient than just ringing them and ordering a pizza yourself, but it seems to be quite popular. Also, why does your iPhone need a virtual fridge? Is it for putting virtual leftovers in? I don't get it. But then, I've never ordered from Pizza Hut. I once ordered from a little pizza place and they gave me the wrong gelati. I didn't even want it, I only got it because delivery needed a minimum $20 order. So not only was I out an extra $3, I had vanilla gelati. Worst night ever.

Anyway, ordering pizza via a dedicated app. Is this the pinnacle of laziness or can we go even further?

Mac Ram
12th October 2009, 03:25 PM
Why anyone would want to order pizza from PH, never mind eat one is beyond me.

MrJesseRoss
12th October 2009, 03:28 PM
I haven't had anything from Pizza Hut since that birthday party where we promised the waitress we'd eat the pizza if they made us one, then covered it in icecream and chocolate mousse. We were asked to leave.

So yeah, do people still eat Pizza Hut pizza?

wmyeoh
12th October 2009, 03:32 PM
People do, because they are lazy, enjoy nerdy convenience and it's cheap. This is pretty clever marketing I think, as it combines all those things together.

~Coxy
12th October 2009, 04:12 PM
One reason I can think of for a dedicated app is because the site may be principally in flash. Dominos definitely is, so no iPhone ordering until they follow Pizza Hut's lead.

Japester
12th October 2009, 04:14 PM
I say, "Why the hell not?". And I like Pizza Hut. Their pan base is better than Dominos or Pizza Haven.

incanspyder
12th October 2009, 04:39 PM
I say, "Why the hell not?". And I like Pizza Hut. Their pan base is better than Dominos or Pizza Haven.

Fuck yes, someone with some sense. While Dominos pizzas are good, the Pizza Hut BASE (deep pan) is tonnes better - it makes all the difference!

banjo
12th October 2009, 06:04 PM
Anyway, ordering pizza via a dedicated app. Is this the pinnacle of laziness or can we go even further?

I like using online ordering instead of by phone because, these days, there are so many immigrants working in fast food that the communication barrier can get very frustrating. I've often had incorrect orders, the wrong name, deliveries sent to the wrong address, or some phone conversations so long and frustrating that I'd got the shits and hung up. Since switching to online, I've had no issues at all.

It would be handy if I could do it from my iPhone while (my partner is) driving back from the beach.

I thought Pizza Haven went broke. Hmmm.

For me, Eagle Boys is the best, followed by Pizza Hut, with Dominos a distant third.

decryption
12th October 2009, 06:09 PM
Fuckin aye!!! This is why Jesus invented the iPhone. To order delicious hot pizza.
Shame there's no Pizza Hut that delivers to St. Albans :(

ClockWork
12th October 2009, 06:11 PM
Shame there's no Pizza Hut that delivers to St. Albans :(

Then it must die for its sin.

mitty
12th October 2009, 06:27 PM
What's needed is something far more ambitious. A website that any pizza/takeaway shop can sign up to, and display their entire menu (they need to be vetted so not just any dick can pretend to be a pizza shop). You search for the closest pizza store to you with the iphone app, and then order, and they get the order online instantly.

I just made someone a million bucks didn't I.

RustySpanner
12th October 2009, 11:08 PM
Holy shit this is awesome! Now if they could just make decent pizza...

marc
12th October 2009, 11:22 PM
Another reason (I'm assuming) this would be good and quicker than calling: you could save your normal order, so reordering would only be a few taps.

grfxninja
13th October 2009, 02:20 AM

Agree 100%!
I reckon Pizza Hut went down the shitter for a long time (crap pizza's, stores closing left, right and centre etc.) but in recent times they are starting to get a lot better. You pay a smidgen more, but it is definitely worth it.
Comparably, Dominos is just utter shit. Eagle Boys are getting better, but they closed their store near me so fuck 'em!
(Actually, I think the franchisee went away from Eagle Boys and changed the name to something else)

EDIT: Spelling fail… that's what you get for surfing he web at half past 3 in the morning…

decryption
13th October 2009, 05:26 AM
What's needed is something far more ambitious. A website that any pizza/takeaway shop can sign up to, and display their entire menu (they need to be vetted so not just any dick can pretend to be a pizza shop). You search for the closest pizza store to you with the iphone app, and then order, and they get the order online instantly.

I just made someone a million bucks didn't I.

Order food delivery to your home/office from 900+ restaurants (http://menulog.com.au) is pretty much what you described. An iPhone app for Menu Log would be pretty damn awesome.

Japester
13th October 2009, 12:33 PM
I like using online ordering instead of by phone because, these days, there are so many immigrants working in fast food that the communication barrier can get very frustrating. I've often had incorrect orders, the wrong name, deliveries sent to the wrong address, or some phone conversations so long and frustrating that I'd got the shits and hung up. Since switching to online, I've had no issues at all.

I thought Pizza Haven went broke. Hmmm.

For me, Eagle Boys is the best, followed by Pizza Hut, with Dominos a distant third.

Yes, I hate ordering over the phone. When I order from Eagle Boys, I use the phone because I have a voucher that saves me $5. I can order from them via the internet, but I can't use the voucher. It's hard to do because there's always someone banging away in the background. I don't find myself talking to foreigners, though--I get disaffected, bored, uncaring youths who don't hear so well!

Dominos has the best internet-ordering system simply because you can take a code from a promotional leaflet and enter it and get the discount or offer. The others don't have that.

I didn't know Pizza Haven was out of the game.

I do like Eagle Boys. I consider Pizza Hut's pan base to be the best, but Eagle Boys' is a close second. I don't really like Dominos' pan as it seems a bit flat. Their other bases are pretty good, especially the puff!