PDA

View Full Version : iSlayer iMug Presentation

marc
25th July 2005, 11:42 PM
I thought I'd post this here.

I think most of it makes sense without the keynote presentation.

The podcast should be done soon, although I think this might be easier to understand.

---

Widget Security
Should we be scared?
Most of us know that OS X has a great track record so far with regards to viruses and malware. However, there’s been some talk of widget security recently, so I thought I’d include some information as part of today’s presentation.

The main discussion has been due to the fact that without changing Safari’s preferences, widgets install automatically after downloading. That’s not a big deal, because most of the time you’ll know a widget has downloaded, because you chose to download it. But... it is possible that a website could start a download without the user clicking a download button. So, the user may not know that the widget has been downloaded and installed.

It sounds bad, but it’s really not a huge deal, as widgets don’t run until they are either double-clicked in the finder, or dragged from the Dashboard tray. If it’s the first time a widget is run, then OS X asks if it’s ok to continue. I’ve heard that 10.4.2 will add even more protection and possibly a safe environment to test new widgets before giving them access to your entire system.
If this concerns you, then all you have to do is uncheck the “Open “Safe” files after downloading” tick box in the general preferences and Safari will just dump the file into your chosen download folder, which is usually the desktop. From there you’ll have to manually drag the file into your Library/Widgets folder. That’s also the place to look if you want to delete a widget. Just drag the offending one into the trash and it’ll magically disappear from your Dashboard tray.

It’s worth noting that widgets can do anything a full application can do, so they should be treated with the same caution as a full application.

---

W2ttsy
25th July 2005, 11:52 PM
sounds like a very detailed presentation went down tonight.

hopefully it went well for you. its really good to see that Apple is showing this level of attention to the developers of widgets, both in australia, and worldwide. seems that they could have some huge potential in the future.