PDA

View Full Version : Mac: The Underdogs

Byrd
4th July 2004, 07:05 PM
Just a quick heads up regarding the Mac The Underdogs (http://mac.the-underdogs.org/) site, which has a large archive of old classic 68K and older PPC games, uploaded by users. The software is abandonware, which the site refers to as "commercial software that has been discontinued by the publisher and are not sold or supported anymore".

Have found many a corker here to run on my LC630! Even if you have a much newer Mac, a lot of these games can be emulated under vMac.

JB

Currawong
4th July 2004, 10:22 PM
Byrd, you're a ledgend! Continuum is on there! That game was my all-time favourite for such a long time, along with Crystal Quest. Now I'm so glad I have my old Quadra 650 with 7.1 installed just for it....

I think my P2.8 is going to be sitting on the floor for a while to make way for the Quadra....

Byrd
6th July 2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Currawong@Jul 4 2004, 10:22 PM
Byrd, you're a ledgend! Continuum is on there! That game was my all-time favourite for such a long time, along with Crystal Quest. Now I'm so glad I have my old Quadra 650 with 7.1 installed just for it.
Continuum was a favourite of mine too! Surprising to think how such a little spaceship game can be so enthralling and fun. Used to play it a lot with my brother sharing controls on our Mac Plus.

The game works best on B&W 68000 machines, however it worked pretty well on my LC475 w/OS 8.1, but with some sound and intermittant crashing problems.

While you're there Currawong, check out the After Dark: Simpsons plugins, great stuff on an older machine.

JB

pipsqeek
6th July 2004, 01:51 PM
Oh dear,

AfterDark : Simpsons

this brings back memories of my youth.

Steve

LCGuy
7th July 2004, 03:53 PM
Heheheheh, good ol' After Dark. I still have the Flying Toasters pen that came with our copy! :D

Lucas
7th July 2004, 06:40 PM
Just on a gaming nature - my fav game of all time was transport tycoon deluxe - is there a game similar to it on mac? Hehehehh browsing that site made me remember playing Jones: Life in the Fast Lane.

the_argon
7th July 2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Lucas@Jul 7 2004, 06:10 PM
my fav game of all time was transport tycoon deluxe
nice! I spent many sleep deprived hours playing that myself :D

... on a 486 DX4 100 laptop. Man that machine was killer for it's day... 14.2" Colour Passive Matrix dislpay!!!

Byrd
7th July 2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Lucas@Jul 7 2004, 06:40 PM
Just on a gaming nature - my fav game of all time was transport tycoon deluxe - is there a game similar to it on mac? Hehehehh browsing that site made me remember playing Jones: Life in the Fast Lane.
Maxis' Railroad Tycoon should be on that site, a precursor to Transport Tycoon. I think there is also another similar game, but it's name fails me right now. Pretty cool little game, and obviouly all the 'Sim' games are also available for older Macs (eg. SimCity 2K, SimLife, SimAnt - loved this one!).

JB

pipsqeek
8th July 2004, 10:52 AM
All the maxis games "were" good. Now they are bloatware.

SimCity4000 or whatever its called, ran like a rocket on my PC system, until I started to add things on the map, like residentail zones, and there was the slightest animation on the screen, traffic, and shit like that.

My system is old, but no slouch.

I stick to SimCity2000 on the iBook.

Steve

Lucas
8th July 2004, 01:17 PM
Yeah Sim City 4 is definately bloated - but still a good game. I could play it until I got a fairly big town (pop 100000) and then bugs started happening. Ill give those gaames you mentioned a try.

the_argon
9th July 2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Lucas@Jul 7 2004, 06:10 PM
Just stumbled upon this, you might like:

http://www.openttd.com/

Enjoy :)

LCGuy
10th July 2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Jul 8 2004, 10:52 AM
All the maxis games "were" good. Now they are bloatware.

SimCity4000 or whatever its called, ran like a rocket on my PC system, until I started to add things on the map, like residentail zones, and there was the slightest animation on the screen, traffic, and shit like that.

My system is old, but no slouch.

I stick to SimCity2000 on the iBook.

Steve
Heheheheh, good ol' SC2000. The best version of SC, IMHO. :)

macintoshrules
12th November 2004, 10:02 PM
Damage Inc isnt on there... what a shame! That was such an amazing game!

adamjc
12th November 2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Lucas@Jul 8 2004, 02:17 PM
Yeah Sim City 4 is definately bloated - but still a good game. I could play it until I got a fairly big town (pop 100000) and then bugs started happening. Ill give those gaames you mentioned a try.
SimCity 4 is my favourite Windows game at the moment.

Can never get sick of it. :rolleyes: