PDA

View Full Version : Migrating iTunes library from Vista to Windows 7

Bogus Jimmy
9th October 2009, 06:47 PM
Hi guys,

I've upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista (fresh install) on my HTPC. My iTunes library lives on it's own drive with an iTunes folder as root containing 2 folders (Album Artwork & iTunes Music) and iTunes Library Extras.itdb, iTunes Library Genius.itdb, iTunes Library.itl, iTunes Library.xml & iTunes Music Library.xml (exactly as it was setup in Vista).

I've installed iTunes in Windows 7 and have set the 'iTunes Media Folder Location' in Preferences > Advanced to 'G:\iTunes\' but my library does not load (I've tried setting it to 'G:\iTunes\iTunes Music' and that didn't work either).

How do I need to set up my music folder and iTunes to get my iTunes library back (preferably without needing to setup the whole library again)?

Cheers,

BJ

spilla
9th October 2009, 09:02 PM
Hold down Shift when you open iTunes, and then select the iTunes library from the box that pops up.

Bogus Jimmy
9th October 2009, 09:28 PM
Cheers, but I tried that and it just creates a new library and moves the previous one to a "Previous iTunes Libraries" folder.

Boney_Ahem
9th October 2009, 09:45 PM
Bogus Jimmy, I hate to be the one to ask, but is there a Mac somewhere in the equation ... I know that iTunes is an Apple product but I'm just asking what probably other members may be thinking?

Bogus Jimmy
9th October 2009, 09:47 PM
The only Mac is the one I'm typing this post on (my MacBook Pro). My HTPC is just an oldish AMD machine now running Windows 7 (and very little else), full of hard drives and is just used for consuming and procuring media.