PDA

View Full Version : Options for Mac Mini

patrickjfong
9th October 2009, 11:41 AM
Hi all,

I recently received an unwanted g4 mac mini which I'm going to use as a media centre, hooked up to my tv. It's Currently running tiger but I want to upgrade to leopard but can't seem to find anywhere that sells it anymore. Ideas ?

Also has anyone got the mac IR remote working with the g4 mini ? I've seen a few examples where people use bulky ir receivers but nothing very elegant to date!

Cheers
Pat

griffmiester
9th October 2009, 11:50 AM
Hi all,

I recently received an unwanted g4 mac mini which I'm going to use as a media centre, hooked up to my tv. It's Currently running tiger but I want to upgrade to leopard but can't seem to find anywhere that sells it anymore. Ideas ?

Have you tried a Myer?

A friend of mine was looking for a copy to update his MIL's G5 iMac. That's where he found a copy.

Also I'm pretty sure Xero - Welcome! (http://xero.com.au/) may still have a copy.

avolve
9th October 2009, 01:43 PM
I went back to tiger from Leopard on my G4 mini *Leopard/Front Row was slugglish with a long boot time.

I now run Tiger with XBMC. I am using the Aeon skin, though might go for a different skin that is less resource intensive

I have a Manta TR1 IR receiver (http://twistedmelon.com/mira/hardware.html) and use an apple remote. I am looking into remote apps for my iPod/iPhone (like XBMC)

patrickjfong
9th October 2009, 03:51 PM
I was thinking about the iphone app but then again if I don;'t have my phone I don't have a remote! I thought about getting a ipod touch but seems a little excessive!

Do you know if Myer stocks the upgrade ? I don't fancy having to pay for the full os. thanks though. I'll check it out!!

Is there an phone app for XBMC ?

avolve
20th October 2009, 05:03 PM
Is there an phone app for XBMC ?

There is an XMBC iPhone remote - I could not get it to configure automatically, though got it to work with a (simple) manual set-up.

For some reason, it does not show my TV Shows under the TV Shows section. I have to go to volumes and select the drive the TV Shows are in.

They Show up as TV Shows under the Aeon skin (mapped to volume).

I have tried a few other skins, like XTV, though they don't seem to work, sadly. Aeon seems a little resource heavy for my PPC mini...

BiRDBRAiN
21st October 2009, 12:13 PM
I've actually been using VLC together with the VLC remote app and find it much nicer.

I've been hacking together a web interface to use the VLC HTTP interface.

Almost completed version 0.1 of it. It just requires Apache+PHP to run.

Personally I find XBMC to be a bit too much for what I want, VLC suits me much better.

+1 for the Manta IR. I bought one of these as well. The software that comes with it is pretty good too.