View Full Version : Removing Keys On Powerbook Keyboard

25th July 2005, 05:26 PM
On the weekend, I was cleaning the PowerBook, and chamoised off the Keyboard, and managed to lift two keys. On replacement, I put them in the wrong spots, and it reads adsfghjkl instead of asdfghjkl. How does one lift individual keys, and replace them on the keyboard? This is a rather urgent request, because I have to create a presentation for work, and I have been building them in Keynote rather than PowerPoint on my Dell.

25th July 2005, 05:39 PM
By cleaning the keyboard again?
I did this once before too... although I didn't replace them in the wrong order.

The keys themselves are usually attached by two pieces of plastic, which from the front make an X when the key is lifted.
There are two very small clips toward the outter edge of the key-base (not the key itself).
The plastic X shaped thingy, which is attached to the key itself, needs to be pushed inward to release the key. This is why the key pops off when you're cleaning them... The cloth catches on the corner of the key, and lifts upward, thus unclicking the X shaped (individually, it's more like two H shaped things which cross over) from their little plastic bits that hold them.
It's really quite hard to explain...

25th July 2005, 05:46 PM
Here's a really badly drawn picture to explain the basic layout...

25th July 2005, 09:57 PM
Here's a description from pbfixit.com
"Place your index finger under the upper left corner of the key and lift up until you hear a click. Then, transfer your finger to the left edge of the key and lift up to pull the key off.
You're freeing the two tabs on the left of the key from the two small holes in the plastic scissors mechanism.
When replacing the keys in the keyboard, place the key directly over the slot where it will go and press down until you hear the key click into place."


29th August 2005, 03:57 AM
I want to cry!! :( I was trying to get bits of dust/fluff from under my M key and now the Scissor/white bit is broken in the place where there should be an X on the side of the scissor. I hadn't realise there was a way to take them off. Now the M key is loose and flip-flopping. Where can I get this scissor thing replaced? Anyone knows?

29th August 2005, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by p53@Jul 25 2005, 09:27 PM
Here's a description from pbfixit.com
That's the way to do it (I learnt that one from a mistake).

Although I know the keyboard with my eyes closed, so that would not be an issue for me.

How'd you go sorting it out Paxton?

29th August 2005, 07:40 AM
You can buy replacement keycaps and scissors from pbfixit.com. Or was that pbparts.com? I know I got some somewhere… :P