PDA

View Full Version : Adelaide Apple Store - Definitely!

AfterBurner_1
9th October 2009, 03:37 AM
after the Eastern and western seaboard have finished being smattered with their stores it stands to reason that apple will turn their hand to SA/NT for some much needed apple lovin'.

I myself really have to say that I hate resellers and that the sooner the official Apple stores arrive the better. the only reseller that is remotely decent (In my experiece) around here is Power On (aka Mac Centre Norwood)

It also stands to reason that it would be in one of the largest shopping areas in the CBD or suburbs (ie Marion or West Lakes) where might you think it will likely be? and when will it appear?

I'll apply for a job there I'll even buy a new mac at full retail.

lazydesi
9th October 2009, 08:07 AM
the only reseller that is remotely decent around here is Power On (aka Mac Centre Norwood)

My experience is a bit different than yours, My Mac been serviced with Power On, nexy byte and OzMac Solutions and I found

Power are very very busy and turn out period is between 7 -14 working days

with OZ solution it is just 2-3 working days

I found Oz solutions are away better than Power On.

Falani
9th October 2009, 08:10 AM
Agree - OzMac Solutions are the best.

wholikespotatoes
9th October 2009, 08:11 AM
apple will turn their hand to SA/NT
:dry:

MissionMan
9th October 2009, 08:18 AM
Nah, even the dust is trying to emigrate from SA, why would they put an apple store there?

mac_man_luke
9th October 2009, 08:24 AM
My experience is a bit different than yours, My Mac been serviced with Power On, nexy byte and OzMac Solutions and I found

Power are very very busy and turn out period is between 7 -14 working days

with OZ solution it is just 2-3 working days

I found Oz solutions are away better than Power On.

I had my macbook fixed by Power on, took only 3 days inc ordering new top case, inverter board and a few other bits.

iKing
9th October 2009, 11:08 AM
If this is true I'm going there every weekend!

mechcon
9th October 2009, 03:40 PM
Oh god not this thread again :P

mjankor
11th October 2009, 11:22 PM
I would expect it to be in Rundle Mall, Adelaide.

joecallanan
12th October 2009, 01:24 PM
Which resellers are already in SA?

pwnT
12th October 2009, 04:05 PM
I really hope that there is going to be an apple store in Adelaide. It'll make my stay here a whole lot better hahaha

oli
16th October 2009, 10:23 PM
I have had my logic board/main board replaced twice in two years in my Macbook Pro, and I've had one of the fans replaced as well.

In each case I have gone to Nextbyte (Glen Osmond Road) and paid the premium for a faster service, and in all three cases I've come back under 28 hours later and picked it up.

I don't see why Apple would bother opening a shop here in a town like Adelaide.

David Turnedge
17th October 2009, 06:40 PM
You'd have to bet on at least a mini store in Adelaide sometime before the end of 2010.

vivid2
22nd October 2009, 02:15 PM
You'd have to bet on at least a mini store in Adelaide sometime before the end of 2010.

At least by then Adelaide will be much less dusty than a couple of eastern states! Hard drives should last longer, too.

NSW dust (http://www.thecoolist.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/sydney-dust-storm-2009_6.jpg)

Qld dust (http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200909/r441118_2128809.jpg)

mechcon
22nd October 2009, 02:18 PM
Simple, there would be one in the CBD, one in either colonades or tea tree plaza, and one in Marion shopping centre. Logical places to put them to be honest.

philz
22nd October 2009, 02:32 PM
Bring on an Adelaide Apple store. Next Byte don't seem to have the technical knowledge, it is easier to come on the forums. My Apple store is currently JB Hi Fi :)

vivid2
22nd October 2009, 02:38 PM
Simple, there would be one in the CBD, one in either colonades or tea tree plaza, and one in Marion shopping centre. Logical places to put them to be honest.

Given the population and demographics, a Mall store is most likely, but Colonnades seems to not be the right sort of market to me.

Anyway, no regional stores would be opened before a city store proved viable.

oli
22nd October 2009, 02:55 PM
The Nextbyte store in the CBD is hopeless but I do feel the need to defend the one on Glen Osmond Road. They are friendly and their support/tech people are good to deal with. How the two stores can be related in name is beyond me.

vivid2
22nd October 2009, 03:18 PM
The Nextbyte store in the CBD is hopeless but I do feel the need to defend the one on Glen Osmond Road. They are friendly and their support/tech people are good to deal with. How the two stores can be related in name is beyond me.

YMV, but I have found all NextByte staff friendly enough if you can get them to serve you, but more interested in their haircuts than things Macintosh (or iPod or iPhone). There must be mirrors hidden behind the counters.

canonafficionado
22nd October 2009, 03:55 PM
At least by then Adelaide will be much less dusty than a couple of eastern states! Hard drives should last longer, too.

NSW dust (http://www.thecoolist.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/sydney-dust-storm-2009_6.jpg)

Qld dust (http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200909/r441118_2128809.jpg)

Nah... even after sending lots of dust to the other states (thanking them for their lack of sharing water), SA will still be dusty! :D

mechcon
22nd October 2009, 03:55 PM
no regional stores would be opened before a city store proved viable.

Explain Melbourne and Brisbane then :P

ChrisR_12
22nd October 2009, 04:24 PM
Nah... even after sending lots of dust to the other states (thanking them for their lack of sharing water), SA will still be dusty! :D

I know tell me about it, i just cleaned out my room all most made the vacuum full and its one of them industrial ones.

On topic:

I would love to see an apple store here but it will most likely not happen for a long time. Look at us we have crap all ;)

oli
22nd October 2009, 05:26 PM
YMV, but I have found all NextByte staff friendly enough if you can get them to serve you, but more interested in their haircuts than things Macintosh (or iPod or iPhone). There must be mirrors hidden behind the counters.

Yeah, keyword there being "if". I walked into the CBD store awhile ago with the intention of buying an iPhone data cable. I had a look at some of the other products and accessories before starting to actually look for the cable I specifically came in for. I noticed that all the staff were just sitting behind the counter chatting.

Some lady came in and started looking around. One of the male staff members got up immediately and went and offered her assistance.

She was pretty hot though...

Revo
22nd October 2009, 10:27 PM
I certainly hope there'll be an Apple Store in Adelaide in the near future, can't stand Next Byte.

iMic
23rd October 2009, 03:54 PM
I'd like to see an Apple Store open here though, preferably without focusing too much on the South. Great if they get one down South, but there's Apple fans up North too...

oli
23rd October 2009, 04:15 PM
I have some sources which indicate that there will be an official partner store opening up near Mt. Barker in the near future.

sirmudkip
24th October 2009, 01:32 PM
Barker? Even apple knows better than that. I reckon the order for the next stores would be Adelaide --> Another cabillion stores in melb and syd and brissy -->Tasmania --> Darwin

oli
24th October 2009, 02:24 PM
I said partner store, like what Nextbyte is. :)

stab
24th October 2009, 08:50 PM
I noticed that all the staff were just sitting behind the counter chatting.

Yeah after visiting Melb & Sydney Apple stores - there's just another level of customer service at official Apple stores.

Wouldn't it be awesome if they came here? But honestly I'm not holding my breath (although we do seem to pull off some stunning cous here for some strange reason like the friggin' pandas and the RI Aus).

RiAus :: About RiAus (http://www.riaus.org.au/science/about.jsp)

hillsdweller
24th October 2009, 11:08 PM
I have some sources which indicate that there will be an official partner store opening up near Mt. Barker in the near future.I'm assuming you meant in Mt Barker itself - most towns near Mt Barker are not exactly known for their retail centres ;).

A decent Mac store in the Hills would be handy - NextByte at Glenunga are ok but I prefer to avoid a trip down the freeway if at all possible!

oli
24th October 2009, 11:13 PM
I don't know where exactly, I am not in that area of the hills often at all but I have some colleagues who I believe are trying to get something organised with Apple.

MrJesseRoss
24th October 2009, 11:43 PM
Mt Barker is the only Hills town an Apple reseller would open up in. Everywhere else is too small.

Especially as 'near' Mt Barker is basically Nairne or Hahndorf.

AfterBurner_1
27th October 2009, 05:00 AM
Personally had great experience with Next Byte on Glen Osmond Road, really couldn't ask for service better than the service I got there. I'd like to see an Apple Store open here though, preferably without focusing too much on the South. Great if they get one down South, but there's Apple fans up North too...Amen to that!

as for hills, stores, Ha! maybe next Century

codger
27th October 2009, 09:40 AM
There are Mac fans and users in the north, south, east and the west so the only logical place for a first Apple Store in Adelaide is in Adelaide CBD. But hey just an example of where Adelaide fits in the process was to witness the main outlets in the City being devoid of stock of the newly released machines as late as yesterday (Monday) afternoon 5 days after their release while the larger east coast cities had stock on friday. So best we not hold out breaths but keep our fingers crossed.

MrJesseRoss
25th February 2010, 02:08 PM
Took this pic at TTP today. This is to the right of the ABC Shop at the Coles end of the center. It used to be occupied by Howard's Storage World.

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/8953/5j4.jpg
(It's blurry because I sort of rushed before those girls thought I was taking pics of them..)

There's no real reason to think that it is an Apple Store, apart from the close proximity to the new T-Life. But hey, it's possible, right?:p

Edit: Just rang TTP Management, they 'can't confirm who's going in there at this stage'.

ts10
25th February 2010, 09:43 PM
(It's blurry because I sort of rushed before those girls thought I was taking pics of them..)

If only you had!

KingClifton
1st March 2010, 01:52 PM
Yeah, keyword there being "if". I walked into the CBD store awhile ago with the intention of buying an iPhone data cable. I had a look at some of the other products and accessories before starting to actually look for the cable I specifically came in for. I noticed that all the staff were just sitting behind the counter chatting.

Some lady came in and started looking around. One of the male staff members got up immediately and went and offered her assistance.

She was pretty hot though...

Pretty much sums up my experience with them. Went in when 20" iMacs were in runout, looking to buy one or at least size up the 20" vs new 21.5". No assistance. Looked at their Web site, emailed both CBD and Glenunga, latter came back, somewhat sporadically, to my queries about advertised ex-dem stock, but 3 months later still no reply from CBD store. Not sure I'd really give them my business compared to going to JB Hifi and haggling.

Bogus Jimmy
1st March 2010, 03:53 PM
There's no real reason to think that it is an Apple Store, apart from the close proximity to the new T-Life.

Apple store next to a T-Life would be awesome.

In order of priority for Apple I would go Marion, Rundle Mall, TTP then West Lakes with Burnside Village as a wildcard.

KingClifton
2nd March 2010, 10:59 AM
I'd never have thought of Burnside Village...

My money would be on CBD first of all, something along the lines of the new B&O and Boss stores in the Grenfell Centre.

I'd possibly put money on one at Norwood - it has the demographic, but Mac Center Norwood wouldn't be too happy.

codger
6th March 2010, 11:20 AM
Oh no not Burnside Village, too close to home I'd be there every day, they'd be really sick of me.

Seriously though large space at the Village has just been vacated by Angus and Robertson could be great Apple store but unlikely. First would have to be CBD but squeezing into Rundle Mall will be difficult but hey big 12 months refurbishment at Woollies premises?

AfterBurner_1
7th March 2010, 03:36 AM
I'd add maybe a Mawson Lakes site as part of Uni SA. that would awesome.

Darwiniandude
9th March 2010, 06:40 PM
As others have said, Marion will be first. Awesome. I'd take the pay cut to work there :)

Steve_D
22nd April 2010, 03:44 PM
As has been mentioned i don't think that it will happen in the outer suburbs until they have a home base of sorts in the city (read Rundle Mall).

The issue then being what happens to the other retailers that are in the mall??

Myer has their imitation Mac store (and no i'm not talking about the make up counter on the ground floor my wife is oh so fond of). The store in Myer looks the part with its clean aesthetic and pine tables etc, but they are missing the key factor...... staff!!.

Whenever i end up going in there there is never anyone there.

David Jones and its "authorised Apple" section.
Usually there is someone there to serve you even though they are just DJ employees and don't really know the difference between a Macbook Pro and an EEE PC other than ones bigger and made by Apple, plus i have been burnt by their lack of stock before. (although there happened to be an Apple rep in that gave us bonus itunes vouchers for the inconvenience....which was nice :P)

Next Byte aka aren't we funky and we have things that go bling!.
Sorry for anyone that works there but i have no respect for a company that tries to flog OWC ram sicks as "genuine" Apple ram. I often wonder how many people have been put off of buying a Mac thanks to the incompetence and general bad attitude of these people that work there. (this does not reflect on all Next Byte staff just the Rundle Mall store)

If Apple were to open a store in the city and i REALLY hope they do, it would have to take all these things into consideration first and then would need a building where they can remove the whole facia of the building to give it that glass frontage we all know and love.
I can see it happening down the end of the mall where the escalators used to be, mainly because the rest of the shops just don't seem big enough (remember they like to do multiple levels and huge open environments).

We can only hope.

codger
23rd April 2010, 02:34 PM
I echo your comments entirely SteveD. It is quite depressing and frustrating reading of the number of Apple stores opening on the East Coast - Sydney must have 4, Melbourne about the same (and I read of 1 being sought for Geelong?) and Brisbane and the Gold Coast 3-4 between them. John Brumby's 'back-water' comment must have been taken seriously by Apple or is it our archaic shopping hours e.g. closed on public holidays? I hear interstate and overseas visitors check there isn't a public holiday scheduled during their holiday (:-))

AfterBurner_1
27th April 2010, 10:08 PM
I doubt it has anything to do with Opening hours.

More or less Apple's Roadplan and they Lay according to the beat of their own drum.

Some architecture in Rundle Mall would be nice.

6andy6
29th April 2010, 11:51 AM
I echo your comments entirely SteveD. It is quite depressing and frustrating reading of the number of Apple stores opening on the East Coast - Sydney must have 4, Melbourne about the same (and I read of 1 being sought for Geelong?) and Brisbane and the Gold Coast 3-4 between them. John Brumby's 'back-water' comment must have been taken seriously by Apple or is it our archaic shopping hours e.g. closed on public holidays? I hear interstate and overseas visitors check there isn't a public holiday scheduled during their holiday (:-))

Wishful thinking.

Melbourne has 2 (that I know of) official stores - Doncaster Shoppingtown and Chadstone.

We don't even have one in the centre of the CBD which we should be now - all that money in the inner burbs leaking out to Myer.

mechcon
27th June 2010, 01:38 AM
Adeladians, slow news in this topic right? well a friend of mine spotted a concept drawing of a complex down Waymouth street (bit far from the shopping district)

http://photos.harcourts.com.au/007/596/842-BUU247-Waymouth-Street-Adelaide-Metropolitan-Adelaide-City-South-Australia-Australia.jpg

So that's around 102 Waymouth street to be exact. Of all stores, why would they put an Apple store in the picture? Not saying it's proof or anything to look forward to..

codger
27th June 2010, 12:43 PM
Looks very nice but agree hardly likely so far from the main shopping areas, possibly some architectural license? Four new shop sites in the Woollies revamp in Rundle Mall but guess they would be spoken for long ago. Good on Perth for their new Apple store but to see one planned for Newcastle is a bit rough.

MrJesseRoss
27th June 2010, 12:59 PM
Haha, I overlook that vacant lot at work. I find it funny that they left that terrible painting on the building in the background. It really bugs me that they painted a warehouse on a warehouse. And that my window looks straight at it. :(

Anyway, it is indeed quite out of the way of the regular shopping district. It's definitely artistic license. It would be cool to have an Apple store across the road from me though.. :D

jeneration
27th July 2010, 06:01 PM
Rumour is there will be an Apple store in Adelaide in the year 2056... just after apple store Ballarat, apple store Broome.... and ironically... apple store Orange.

AfterBurner_1
11th August 2010, 04:33 PM
Rumour is there will be an Apple store in Adelaide in the year 2056... just after apple store Ballarat, apple store Broome.... and ironically... apple store Orange.GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

now on a serious note.

I predict that by 2015 we will have our own Apple here in SA if the key factors (economics, location and population) are right. I'd say that the first store (s) would likely be in the CBD or Marion due to those factors I'd also predict one popping up in the Eastern Suburbs say around Burnside or Norwood to target those richkids and of course one in West Lakes.

sound good anyone?

@half goon half god, that isn't in north adelaide at the old lecornu site is it?

codger
17th August 2010, 11:56 AM
I am beginning to think that you would be on the mark.

I see news of a fourth Apple Store for Sydney at Castle Hill. Of course Sydney is much larger than little Adelaide but by now surely we'd could justify a little one in preference to the current Apple outlets.

Steve_D
17th August 2010, 12:01 PM
Hell even if they stuck one in the Adelaide Uni Campus @ the new Hughes Plaza site it would be more than welcome over having to deal with resellers.

iMic
17th August 2010, 01:05 PM
When an Apple Store is opened in Adelaide (and it's inevitable that it will happen, it's just a matter of when) to what extent do you all think that will affect the current network of dealers and resellers in the state? Personally i'm pretty happy working for this reseller, I think we certainly strive to offer top quality service and support and i'm not entirely sure an Apple Store will offer the same level of personalised service or rapid turnaround on hardware repairs. So while I certainly think we have a place and will continue to do so, i'm interested to hear what the public thinks.

Not to say that an Apple Store here wouldn't be a good thing, especially if it unseats a certain large chain reseller that has quite a stranglehold over the local market...

(I write this as an individual. I don't represent the reseller I currently work for and ask this as a member of MacTalk alone.)

Steve_D
17th August 2010, 01:16 PM
I fully understand where you are coming from there dude.

One thing that we always hear on these forums is "competition is a good thing" this may be another one of them cases. The resellers that are not pulling their finger out might have to work harder or close up.

On saying that a local Apple store would also offer things that resellers couldn't such as conference rooms, personal shoppers and the likes.

Just look at the iPhone 4 launch to see that not everyone is wanting to go to an Apple retail outlet. Some people still have their favourite telcos they go too. Just like how some people will still buy Apple products from DJ's or Myer thanks to being able to use their store cards.

Its really just a matter of choice and convenience.

codger
20th August 2010, 06:22 PM
First off I am a relatively new Mac user (just over 2 years but very much confirmed) and have never seen let alone put foot inside an Apple Store.

Likewise I would love to see an Apple Store in Adelaide sooner rather than later. Surely dealing with a person devoted to Apple products rather than a salesperson having a spread of knowledge of all sorts of items would give more confidence etc to any non-user or long term Apple user?

As well as the 'genius' facility I would hope that a real Apple Store here would achieve earlier supply of new releases and more adequate stocks of existing equipment. Naive?

Would not Apple still contract out repairs to the likes of iMac00's employer? I have so far (fingers crossed) only once had the need to seek repairs to one of my Apple items (last count 7) and that an AppleTV was replaced, so a pretty satisfactory result.

iMic
25th August 2010, 09:45 PM
Would not Apple still contract out repairs to the likes of iMac00's employer? I have so far (fingers crossed) only once had the need to seek repairs to one of my Apple items (last count 7) and that an AppleTV was replaced, so a pretty satisfactory result.

I'd be curious to know this. I always thought Apple performed their own repairs or at least shipped them out to other Apple facilities for repair, but I was never aware of Apple themselves contracting other Apple Authorised Service Providers such as us to do the work. It's the first i've ever heard it mentioned anyway.

codger
26th August 2010, 01:18 PM
Oh perhaps I am wrong as when I reported my defective ATV, because it was within the warranty period, I was sent to one of the apple authorised repairers in Adelaide. Maybe whenever there is a local Apple Store they then take over repairing?

dronus
13th September 2010, 03:47 PM
<sound of the wind whispers> Keep an eye on rundle mall.. <wind disappears>..

Steve_D
13th September 2010, 03:52 PM
removed post.

Hmmm strange. Maybe the Apple Ninjas got to him already?

Either that or it was just incorrect information about a store going in near Harris Scarfe...... oh crap who's that knocking on my door? :nerd:

Steve_D
17th December 2010, 09:57 AM
This rumour has started up again.
I got told it today by my 72 year old grandmother.

How she heard it I don't know.

Doesn't matter now as I just accepted a Genius job in vic......(*EDIT* - Decided against it got offered better doing similar here :) )

carlow1
7th April 2011, 04:11 PM
I see the Borders store on Rundle Mall is closing down. This would be a perfect location for an Adelaide Apple Store. Com'n apple we need one soon.

Steve_D
7th April 2011, 04:17 PM
Dont forget that Harris Scarfe has closed its doors too.

Either way there is a lot of nice real estate coming up for grabs in the mall over the next few months.

MisterFnord
7th April 2011, 09:37 PM
Dont forget that Harris Scarfe has closed its doors too..

Yeah and Its being demolished and a totally new swanky store built.

What i'd like to know is there's finally some activity happening in the old Rowe and Jarman sports store at the Grenfell Street end of Regent Arcade - it's a fairly significant first floor store, be ideal for someone like Apple. As you mentioned it's not like there is a shortage of properties around at the moment.. But i suppose like everything Apple it has to be perfect for them they take nothing less!

Steve_D
7th April 2011, 09:44 PM
Went and had a look at the Borders store today. Its in a prime location and being multi story (2 floors and basement for storage) would be a perfect set up. They even already have their own coffee shop type set up there :p

carlow1
7th April 2011, 10:11 PM
Went and had a look at the Borders store today. Its in a prime location and being multi story (2 floors and basement for storage) would be a perfect set up. They even already have their own coffee shop type set up there :p

I agree. If Apple are planning a store in Adelaide and they haven't already got a location in mind the Borders store is perfect in every way. The location in the centre of the mall and the size of the store. They better snap it up.

iMic
30th May 2011, 01:35 AM
Apple unable to open Rundle Mall store because the shopping strip lacks a large enough shopfront | Adelaide Now (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/apple-unable-to-open-rundle-mall-store-because-the-shopping-strip-lacks-a-large-enough-shopfront/story-e6frede3-1226065208488)

Interesting take on the Rundle Mall situation.

Curious to know what their criteria must be, what meets that criteria and where they're most likely to snap up. It's not as though Adelaide is short of places to get Apple sales and service (I can think of/name 5 in less than 10 seconds), but it's a curiosity none-the-less.

MisterFnord
30th May 2011, 09:01 AM
Gotta love News coprorations speculative reporting. You believe a word that a News corporation paper says?

"APPLE has ruled out opening a store in Rundle Mall because it cannot buy a large enough shopfront."

But then, at the bottom, it states "Apple, which did not return calls..."

The reporter took a quote from the leasing agent from Savills and spun it focus on Apple, even though no 'global brand' was actually named... So it's all just some one's beat-up to make a story - quality journalism at its best :-)

iMic
30th May 2011, 09:49 AM
"APPLE has ruled out opening a store in Rundle Mall because it cannot buy a large enough shopfront."

But then, at the bottom, it states "Apple, which did not return calls..."

Aha, well spotted. :p

Personally i'm wary of anything that comes out of any News Corp outlet, but it's here for discussions sake.

MisterFnord
30th May 2011, 09:50 AM
Oh yeah not having a poke at you, just the number of times News Corp has beaten up a story like this and flogged it to death is a joke...

At this rate, we'll probably see a Microsoft company store in Ad-delayed before a Apple company store!

themacuser
30th May 2011, 11:08 AM
Hell even if they stuck one in the Adelaide Uni Campus @ the new Hughes Plaza site it would be more than welcome over having to deal with resellers.

Stick it where Union Hall was knocked down, so it can show what the Innova building was meant to have looked like but failed at :)

Razer
30th May 2011, 12:33 PM
I have a friend whom works reasonably high up in a reseller. He is in no doubt there will be an apple store very soon. I have an unrelated friend who is a doing a store fit out at the old bigstar on rundle st. When I asked him what the store is going to me he almost said apple but quickly said he wasn't allowed to say anything!

Take this all with a huge grain of salt, personally I think that store would be too small. Perhaps it will be apple's first tardis?

iMic
30th May 2011, 01:02 PM
I'm with one of the resellers as well, not the biggest one out there (not the smallest either) but I somehow doubt even the biggest chain resellers have any information regarding potential Apple Stores. That said, it's fairly easy to see that eventually Apple would like to cover all bases and have one in each capital city. The key is where, when, and when it happens whether it will be dedicated or just a mall store.

Warthog
9th July 2011, 08:21 AM
And now we are hearing about another store in Brisbane. This sucks, come on Apple, where's Adelaide's.

AfterBurner_1
26th July 2011, 08:55 PM
Amen to that Brother. C'mon Apple, bring on your A-Game and give us the best store.

Steve_D
27th July 2011, 12:08 AM
There must be something more than what we are hearing for the reasons why there is no Adelaide store. Because i refuse to believe that its all because they can not find a 13m frontage or whatever the excuse the Advertiser came up with.

If that was the case why not open a Marion or TTP Westfield store first?

Im sure that Westfield would love it.

rpjallan
27th July 2011, 12:16 AM
I've given up...

MrJesseRoss
27th July 2011, 08:00 AM
I moved states. :p

carlow1
27th July 2011, 08:35 AM
That old Westpac building on the corner of King William and North Tce is up for sale. That would make a great Apple store. We all know what a great job Apple does turning old banks into Apple Stores.

ozhood
29th July 2011, 05:48 PM
We all know what a great job Apple does turning old banks into Apple Stores.

Or indeed, Apple stores into great banks! :)

mdell
11th August 2011, 12:23 AM
If one opened up it would just shut down again within 3 years like everything else in Adelaide

squareproject11
11th August 2011, 01:09 AM
The global technology brand is looking to open in Adelaide but is understood to have rejected the Mall because it does not offer the 15m-wide street frontages that form the basis of their stores worldwide.

Thousands of people gathered outside Apple Stores nationally last month to pick up Apple's latest release, the iPad 2, and its new stores boast a "Genius Bar" for technical help and "The Studio" to help customers with creative tasks including music composition and film editing.

Savills SA divisional director Peter Isaakson, a specialist retail property agent, said the big international brands had corporate formulas they needed to fill - and Rundle Mall was not able to satisfy those demands in its current form.

"I've been through the Mall three or four times trying to put sites together and we got to 13.23m and it still wasn't suitable for the retailer we were dealing with - and it has to be column-free space as well," he told a Property Council conference this month.

"I don't know how we fix that. Do we appoint a developer to come in and buy up all the shops along Rundle Mall? Then you've got the people who own the shops who don't want to sell.

"International big retailers then go to Marion, West Lakes, Tea Tree Plaza and the city is going to slowly die."

Rundle Mall is already home to Apple-authorised third party retailer, Next Byte, in Rundle Mall Plaza, with exposure to Gawler Pl.

Rundle Mall Management Authority chairman Theo Maras said new projects - including the Harris Scarfe redevelopment - were offering broader, column-free frontages but otherwise the Mall was limited by its older titles based on small, owner-occupied shops.

He said the big names were looking to the broader Rundle Mall Precinct - Grenfell and Pulteney Sts, North Tce and Gawler Pl.

Lorenz
11th August 2011, 09:11 AM
Surely the demolished Harris Scarfe would be a larger enough front for an Apple Store?!
Would be nice to see a store here though, I think it would do well and we are missing out

lawrencium
16th January 2012, 10:14 AM
Surely the Harris Scarfe developers would know that Apple want to open a store within the Adelaide CBD, and if they were at the least bit interested, they would accommodate a large enough store for Apple within the premises. It will be a significant building within Rundle Mall and on Grenfell Street, so why not make the most of it? The bigger the store is, the more customers it will attract. It all makes sense...

MisterFnord
17th February 2012, 11:42 AM
Turning to Australia, real estate industry sources say that Apple has been talking with the developer of Rundle Place in Adelaide about a possible location. The building is a four-level mall in the city center, paired with an office tower. Construction has only just begun, however, with a 2013 completion date.

Read more: Sources tip Apple Stores in New York, Florida, Australia | MacNN (http://www.macnn.com/articles/12/02/16/adelaide.may.get.next.australian.outlet/)

Sources tip Apple Stores in New York, Florida, Australia | MacNN (http://www.macnn.com/articles/12/02/16/adelaide.may.get.next.australian.outlet/)

MrJesseRoss
17th February 2012, 11:44 AM
Good central location there if it does eventuate. Hopefully they can tie it in with the general revamp of the area.

Steve_D
25th February 2012, 06:43 PM
We can only hope. Especially now Perth is getting its second store soon.

Warthog
24th March 2012, 08:39 PM
It's official. Adelaide is getting a store where the old Harris Scarfe site was. My brother ilaw is a site manager there, and he told me its on the drawings for the site. All I can say is about bloody time.:thumbup:

Lorenz
24th March 2012, 11:46 PM
If that is the case then that's brilliant news, about effing time!

AfterBurner_1
25th March 2012, 01:18 PM
I'd heard whispers from friends who worked there. but i didn't want to say anything.

but if it is true well it will only be time to say goodbye to the godawful service at nextbyte,

Warthog
25th March 2012, 05:28 PM
I'd heard whispers from friends who worked there. but i didn't want to say anything.

but if it is true well it will only be time to say goodbye to the godawful service at nextbyte,
He also told me that they are very fussy on how they want their setup.

codger
5th April 2012, 05:42 PM
Article in the Business Section of The Australian/Wall Street Journal today has yet another mention of Apple being after a place reported to include a 'genius bar' in the Rundle Place project which is coming up out of the ground on the old HS site right now. Roll on for an official announcement and an Apple logo appearing among those stores to be included in the finished site like Coles and banks so far.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/property/apple-discussing-lease-in-new-rundle-mall/story-fn9656lz-1226318957836)

bennyling
30th April 2012, 01:08 AM
Short piece on ifoAppleStore.com on the Adelaide Apple Store: Australia Planning Agency Criticizes Storefront Design (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2012/04/28/australia-planning-agency-criticizes-storefront-design/)

MrJesseRoss
30th April 2012, 10:56 AM
Rundle Mall has slowly been taken over by flat boring featureless buildings for 20 years. Can't see why they're suddenly so concerned about it now.

MisterFnord
30th April 2012, 12:21 PM
Rundle Mall has slowly been taken over by flat boring featureless buildings for 20 years. Can't see why they're suddenly so concerned about it now.

It seems it relates to the fact the proposed Apple store has no canopy - there is now a continous canopy running all the way on both sides of the mall from King William Street to the other end (Pulteney Street), and what the developers are seeking to do is break that, leaving this gaping hole in the continual coverage.

Smug
6th May 2012, 08:27 PM
I'm definately going to line up for the opening, very excited. About time!

TheKeddi
6th May 2012, 09:19 PM
It really is about time. I hope it does well and I know I will travel the 150km to Adelaide from my place to visit it :-)

carlow1
16th September 2012, 08:04 PM
Just thought I'd update this thread with some Adelaide Apple Store photos. The first photo is the proposal render photo. The second photo is of the store front progress taken this afternoon. No word yet of when the store will be complete.

https://img.skitch.com/20120916-8w7eb86shsr4c7k7e9ep3c1r7k.preview.jpg (https://skitch.com/carlow1/eu3ew/img-1304)

https://img.skitch.com/20120916-c5qyjs2ku94imub8guawmrgqdj.preview.jpg (https://skitch.com/carlow1/eu3e7/img-1596)

Lorenz
16th September 2012, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the update, looking forward to the new Apple store and other retailers opening up

AfterBurner_1
16th September 2012, 10:48 PM
that's precisely the spot i've been pointing out to all my friends since April.

they're architecture is easy to spot from a mile away.

having said that I would desperately love experience teh Apple store. now if they'd just start the hiring publicly....
hmm... something appealing about first in line...

Steve_D
21st September 2012, 10:21 AM
Looking at this pic of the recent iPhone launch

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/57956_10152102406100023_503004365_n.jpg

and then compare it to something like this.

https://img.skitch.com/20120916-c5qyjs2ku94imub8guawmrgqdj.preview.jpg

And it comes across as being very Apple like. I wonder if we will get the whole glass front like the one in the above picture?

That would be pretty cool.

stab
8th October 2012, 10:32 AM
Best news for Adelaide in years! Given we are Melbourne's largest suburb it's been way overdue!

waynie
24th November 2012, 12:09 PM
It's been a long time since I've been on the Apple Jobs site, and i'm not sure if it lists all states by default now, but it appears that listings went up today for jobs at an Adelaide Apple Store.

Steve_D
24th November 2012, 12:26 PM
Its a place holder. If you go into the send CV section it doesn't show SA.

Up side is that it looks like they are going to build 5 stores eventually.

carlow1
24th November 2012, 07:09 PM
Guys how can you see Adelaide jobs? I can't find any reference to Adelaide store on the jobs site. Can you post a link? Thanks.

Steve_D
24th November 2012, 09:51 PM
If you go to search by location you can search Australia then South Australia then it comes up with 5 locations for SA with Adelaide store being greyed out.

You can still click it and it takes you to the jobs available for a store but then when you click on the submit CV section it only shows QLD, VIC, NSW, ACT and WA.

Its been like that for a few days now. So depending on how the build of the new Harris Scarf location is coming along, im guessing that a few weeks before that goes live the online applications will too.

According to the Adelaide Now original story it was meant to be opening Early 2013.
You would hope that it would be in time for the new year sales, but more likely end of January early February.

New image of Rundle Place, $385 million development of old Harris Scarfe site | adelaidenow (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/new-image-of-rundle-place-385-million-development-of-old-harris-scarfe-site/story-e6frea83-1226120252527)

MisterFnord
25th December 2012, 02:44 PM
If you go to search by location you can search Australia then South Australia then it comes up with 5 locations for SA with Adelaide store being greyed out.

Well as you do on Christmas day when bored, you decide to start looking for something different, revisiting the site it now is clearly states "Adelaide" as a (selectable) location, the job listings posted are dated today (25th).

Just out of interest, what's the usual lead-time from advertising/announcing a new store to actually opening? Apparently the Rundle Place development is scheduled to open in April, so that's a little over 4 months from now i guess.

carlow1
25th December 2012, 02:56 PM
I've read on the Sensational Adelaide forums that the stores are due to open on 18th March 2013. The windows on the front have ads stating March 2013 opening. Whether the Apple store opens at that time I don't know.

codger
25th December 2012, 05:42 PM
If appearances can mean anything the advertising signs for new occupants of the complex are in bright colours, the western end hoarding where Apple is muted to go is the usual plain 'Apple black' without any indication of its expected occupant. To this 'Apple Store for Adelaide' hopeful things are certainly looking up.

Peter Wells
27th December 2012, 06:49 PM
Just heard Apple have posted jobs for the Adelaide store internally. The opening can't be too far off..

Steve_D
28th December 2012, 10:01 AM
The big question then is how long is the turn around usually from internal advertising to external hire and opening?

Im guessing 4 weeks on average.
But that could also be a little wishful thinking also.

carlow1
28th December 2012, 10:42 AM
Judging by the work on the site so far I'd say its months away. So far they only have air conditioning ducts in. There's no windows and shop fit out hasn't even begun.

Steve_D
28th December 2012, 10:52 AM
Update:

Well the jobs have gone live for the public on their site today also.

iMic
5th January 2013, 06:27 AM
Two listings have been posted on Seek for the Adelaide Apple retail store. Each listing is posted by Apple recruitment, so these are the most solid confirmations so far that this will be happening, and soon.

SEEK - Apple Retail Genius - New Store Opening - Adelaide Job in Adelaide (http://www.seek.com.au/Job/apple-retail-genius-new-store-opening-adelaide/in/adelaide-adelaide/23754732)

SEEK - Apple Retail Creative - New Store Opening - Adelaide Job in Adelaide (http://www.seek.com.au/Job/apple-retail-creative-new-store-opening-adelaide/in/adelaide-adelaide/23754710)

Steve_D
7th January 2013, 03:11 PM
Well i was walking past today and thought that i would take a few quick snaps of the store front.

First pic shows the Left hand side.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/agsystem/photo3_zpsd694bc42.jpg

As you can see that section clearly opens in March 2013.

Also notice the bright billboards telling everyone what shops are going to open soon.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/agsystem/photo1_zps6392553d.jpg

You will also see that there is what clearly looks like girders that will allow some form of cover and signage to be hung from it.

The front doors and windows are also being put into place....on all but the right hand side part.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/agsystem/photo2_zps4b25f1ea.jpg

On the right hand side we have a 13m (approx) wide gap that has no girders sticking out, has the glass installed upstairs but does not have the advertising like the other sections and at the same time it also seems to be clearly sectioned off from the main building now.

The only thing this store is missing now is the glass and silver frontage. If this is actually a separate store from the main one it could also mean that this will be opening earlier than the March 2013 date too.

The investigation continues :)

Warthog
12th January 2013, 03:25 PM
Well i was walking past today and thought that i would take a few quick snaps of the store front.

First pic shows the Left hand side.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/agsystem/photo3_zpsd694bc42.jpg

As you can see that section clearly opens in March 2013.

Also notice the bright billboards telling everyone what shops are going to open soon.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/agsystem/photo1_zps6392553d.jpg

You will also see that there is what clearly looks like girders that will allow some form of cover and signage to be hung from it.

The front doors and windows are also being put into place....on all but the right hand side part.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/agsystem/photo2_zps4b25f1ea.jpg

On the right hand side we have a 13m (approx) wide gap that has no girders sticking out, has the glass installed upstairs but does not have the advertising like the other sections and at the same time it also seems to be clearly sectioned off from the main building now.

The only thing this store is missing now is the glass and silver frontage. If this is actually a separate store from the main one it could also mean that this will be opening earlier than the March 2013 date too.

The investigation continues :)

Looks like Windows 8 tiles.:cry:

AfterBurner_1
14th January 2013, 01:42 PM
definitely the new Apple store on the Western side of the new frontages. I'm looking forward to it as i need to get my 3G repaired.
It's good to see them taking a store at a time approach.

mac_man_luke
14th January 2013, 03:15 PM
about time...need a recall fixed on my imac :)

carlow1
2nd February 2013, 05:42 PM
It seems the Adelaide Apple Store will be 2 levels. Fitout should begin shortly. Good news.

Type: Complying Development
Application Number: DA/73/2013
Lodgement Date: 1/02/2013
Location: Apple - G.25, Ground 77-91 Rundle Mall, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Description: Shopping Centre Tenancy Fitout (Shop G.25 & L1-G.25 - Apple Store)

Applicant Name

GEYER DESIGN P/L

lawrencium
2nd February 2013, 08:50 PM
A 2 level store sounds good. Are there any other 2 level Apple stores in Australia?

Will the Apple Store open independently to the rest of the centre or will we be waiting until the final completion/fitout of the rest of the stores?

MrJesseRoss
2nd February 2013, 09:06 PM
A 2 level store sounds good. Are there any other 2 level Apple stores in Australia?

There's this one (actually 3 but whatever):

http://images.apple.com/au/retail/home/images/gallery/gallery-6.jpg

carlow1
2nd February 2013, 11:08 PM

Will the Apple Store open independently to the rest of the centre or will we be waiting until the final completion/fitout of the rest of the stores?

I doubt the Apple Store will be ready before the rest of the stores are ready. The centre is due to open on 19th March. That only gives Apple 6 weeks to complete the fitout which is doubtful.

Knowing Apple they'll open when they are good and ready.

lawrencium
3rd February 2013, 12:53 PM
I was unaware of how soon the centre would be completed.

Thanks for the updates anyway.

Steve_D
5th February 2013, 12:22 PM
I doubt the Apple Store will be ready before the rest of the stores are ready. The centre is due to open on 19th March. That only gives Apple 6 weeks to complete the fitout which is doubtful.

Knowing Apple they'll open when they are good and ready.
I doubt they would open the same time as the rest of the centre though.

Apple like having a bit of fan fair. Lots of clapping etc.
Im going to say they may open either the weekend before the 19th or maybe even earlier in March.

There is nothing to say that they cant do a refit in a short space of time, especially if the core work is already done.

At the same time 6 weeks from today is also a long time in terms of staffing too, especially if they had interviews last month (i'm guessing - based on seek advertisement).

Even with training that would be quite a wait.

MrJesseRoss
5th February 2013, 12:42 PM
Renamed thread as 'likely' has pretty much turned into 'definitely'. Only took 4 years! :)

carlow1
5th February 2013, 01:19 PM
I doubt they would open the same time as the rest of the centre though.

Apple like having a bit of fan fair. Lots of clapping etc.
Im going to say they may open either the weekend before the 19th or maybe even earlier in March.

There is nothing to say that they cant do a refit in a short space of time, especially if the core work is already done.

At the same time 6 weeks from today is also a long time in terms of staffing too, especially if they had interviews last month (i'm guessing - based on seek advertisement).

Even with training that would be quite a wait.

I agree I don't think Apple would be happy sharing the opening with the other stores. They will certainly want the focus on their store.

According to a friend the first round of interviews only took place last week. I don't know how many interviews Apple do (I've heard possibly 3 rounds). Also add in staff training etc I doubt it'll open before or on the 19th March.

Steve_D
11th February 2013, 10:44 AM
According to a friend the first round of interviews only took place last week. I don't know how many interviews Apple do (I've heard possibly 3 rounds). Also add in staff training etc I doubt it'll open before or on the 19th March.

Does anyone actually know the hiring process, Ive heard everything from 3 to 5 interviews/stages. But then that varies and most of the information i have heard has come from the US or UK.

Anyone have any solid info so we can try and work out a general timeframe of initial interviews to possible store opening times.

19th March is coming pretty fast.

carlow1
16th February 2013, 05:16 PM
I've read on another forum that Apple are to spend $2.5 million on store fitout according to Adelaide City Council documents. I passed by today still no work happening inside.

MisterFnord
19th February 2013, 08:46 AM
ADELAIDE'S first Apple Store comes with a $2.5 million price tag for fitting out its Rundle Mall shopfront. (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/apples-25m-store-spend-in-rundle-mall/story-e6frea83-1226580826214)City Council planners have approved the fitout for the two level store within the Pacific Group's $385 million Rundle Place centre, which is set to open late next month.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/apples-25m-store-spend-in-rundle-mall/story-e6frea83-1226580826214 (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/apples-25m-store-spend-in-rundle-mall/story-e6frea83-1226580826214)

MrJesseRoss
19th February 2013, 09:13 AM
Oh good, they've opened comments on the story. I'm sure readers of AdelaideNow will continue their tradition of thoughtful discussion and robust debate.

Steve_D
19th February 2013, 09:29 AM
Oh good, they've opened comments on the story. I'm sure readers of AdelaideNow will continue their tradition of thoughtful discussion and robust debate.

You know the REAL debate wont happen until 11:30 (CST)

Thats about the time the nerds have had their grande latte enema and finished rebooting their Galaxy S3s and are ready to blame everything from the increase in the cost of Office 2011 to the crashing Russian meteorite on Apple.

MisterFnord
19th February 2013, 10:01 AM
grande latte enema and finished rebooting their Galaxy S3s and are ready to blame everything from the increase in the cost of Office 2011 to the crashing Russian meteorite on Apple.

Best comment of the day thanks i just spilt my coffee (latte, hold the enema) all over my desk.

MisterFnord
1st March 2013, 09:00 AM
Seems they are about to remove the hoarding around the building site, as i walked past yesterday and noticed that they are constructing an even higher temporary wall around the Apple shopfront so obviously the shopfront/glass is due to be installed soon.

Macman27
4th March 2013, 09:09 PM
Seems they are about to remove the hoarding around the building site, as i walked past yesterday and noticed that they are constructing an even higher temporary wall around the Apple shopfront so obviously the shopfront/glass is due to be installed soon.
Went past there yesterday and the higher wall has been completed, from the look so far it looks like it will be a pretty nice store

Pismo
5th March 2013, 08:45 AM
Well my horse came in made $20.00:moneymouth: it stood to reason when Harris Scarfe went down the drain that the old site was prime development site
just waiting for bigger and better retail to move in to it it will be a winner, at last we will have some thing to go in to town for a day trip now if i can pick the Melbourne cup winner

iMic
11th March 2013, 08:23 PM
Here's the progress as of Saturday, 9th March...

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3046/img3405m.jpg

MisterFnord
20th March 2013, 01:38 PM
...and apparently we have a opening date!

The company has been notoriously cagey about its plans, but today confirmed its first Adelaide store would open to the public on Tuesday, March 26 at 10am, "just in time for Easter".

Apple to open its first Adelaide retail shop this month | adelaidenow (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/apple-to-open-its-first-adelaide-retail-shop-this-month/story-e6frea83-1226601512928)

Instascoop
20th March 2013, 01:56 PM
I've read on another forum that Apple are to spend $2.5 million on store fitout according to Adelaide City Council documents. I passed by today still no work happening inside.

Carlow1, did you do what my boys do and have a sticky beak inside from a hole somewhere in the shopfront coverings. lol

Not much longer to go now.. We have Apple just down the road at Robina, i have never ever seen it with less than a hundred people inside.. It's just a smaller one though, not a double decker shop.. It's quite hard to look around in there without leaning over someone.. I think they need to make it a double one.. I might just go and suggest that to them. hehe

Any update now: hows it looking..

carlow1
20th March 2013, 05:43 PM
...and apparently we have a opening date!

Apple to open its first Adelaide retail shop this month | adelaidenow (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/apple-to-open-its-first-adelaide-retail-shop-this-month/story-e6frea83-1226601512928)

That opening date is a hoax apparently.

AN announcement that Apple's first retail store in South Australia would open its doors later this month is a hoax.

A press release sent to media outlets today and subsequently reported on adelaidenow claimed the company's first store in SA - believed to have been approved for the Pacific Group's $385 million Rundle Place development - would open in late March.

Apple director of corporate communications Fiona Martin said this afternoon the press release was a hoax.

Ms Martin said while her name and the name and contact details of another Apple PR staffer, Vispi Bhopti, featured on the release were correct, the email came from an unknown email address.

"It's all factually incorrect, it's a hoax," she said.

"Those names are correct but we never sent out any release."

Apple Adelaide store opening date announcement a hoax | adelaidenow (http://m.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/apple-adelaide-store-announcement-a-hoax/story-e6frea83-1226601512928)

Steve_D
20th March 2013, 06:13 PM
And then in 2 weeks time we will all get an email saying that that day is correct but this time it will be an "official" Apple one.

I know of 8 people that all got to the second interviews and not one of them made it through. 3 of them didn't even get to have the actual interview, they just received emails the day before it was due saying thanks but no thanks.

Seems kind of not well organised and unprofessional to say the least.

MisterFnord
20th March 2013, 08:07 PM
Hahah someone has pulled off a great scam if they got away with fooling the media about the date.

lawrencium
21st March 2013, 11:49 AM
And then in 2 weeks time we will all get an email saying that that day is correct but this time it will be an "official" Apple one.

Do you need to register your email address anywhere in order to receive an email from Apple announcing the Grand Opening? I wouldn't mind attending, although not sure how if there will be a line up overnight?

What is the usual Grand Opening experience/event like for Apple stores?

carlow1
21st March 2013, 08:39 PM
I'm sure we'll get plenty of notification of the opening when it happens. I reckon it'll be end of April beginning of May opening. Staff hire emails only went out 2-3 weeks ago.

carlow1
21st March 2013, 08:50 PM
Ok I've read on another site that staff training for the Adelaide store begins in Sydney on 2nd April and is to last 5 weeks. That suggests a middle to end of May opening.

jimmyc
6th April 2013, 09:56 AM
Can't Wait until this Store Opens. We have been waiting so long for this... even Canberra and Penrith got stores before us. Got some questions if anyone can answer...
1. Will Adelaide's store be 2 levels?
2. Will that make us the 2nd biggest Apple store in Australia, after Sydney?
3. Does Apple giveaway free "Apple Store Adelaide" T-Shirts on opening day?

Macman27
25th April 2013, 12:40 AM
1. Yes
2. Not likely
3. Normally, yes

codger
27th April 2013, 05:02 PM
The long suspected site of the Adelaide Apple Store is now confirmed with the website address painted large across the black hoarding 'WWW.Apple.com.au' and a large white Apple above but no details yet of WHEN. So stand by a little longer guys as the suggested mid May opening looks pretty good.

bennyling
27th April 2013, 05:07 PM
The image that iMac600 posted a few posts up suggests the store won't be two levels the black boards aren't covering any of the second level.

MisterFnord
27th April 2013, 08:08 PM
I wondered that too but last time i was in the city it seemed they were building a wall of some kind in the first floor tenancy above the Apple store - i remember noting on the development plans (sorry can;'t find the URL i got them from now) that there is a lift in the tenancy but no stairs or escalators noted. If you look on the sitemap on their site i'd take it as a guess that at least part of the first floor is also being leased by Apple - whether as retail or storage, who knows, Map - Rundle Place (http://www.rundleplace.com.au/map/)

MrJesseRoss
27th April 2013, 10:53 PM
If I recall correctly, their development proposal to have the steel shopfront extend over two levels was knocked back. It could well still be two levels, but only the ground floor needs the black hoardings as the second is completely hidden from view.

carlow1
28th April 2013, 10:33 AM
http://i.imgur.com/4AJquqKl.jpg

Steve_D
28th April 2013, 10:34 AM
The building is for two levels but its not a perfect rectangle on the top level compared to the bottom level.

Look at the plans that MisterFnord linked Ground Floor location 13 is the Apple store (13 is not listed in the stores still) in the corner near DeCosta Arcade they have a stairwell that links to the upper "L" shaped level.

The initial drawings and renderings that were released showed just a metal frontage and no windows on the upper levels at all. But that was because this was an artists impression of what they thought an Apple store may look like, not what had actually been planned.

I would also suggest that the reason for the delays and the lack of massive boarding of the front of the store are one and the same.
The Adelaide City Council are putting a lot of restrictions on them with their whole "cant destroy the heritage feel of the mall". Ironically these are also the same council that passed the plans for Myer Centre, David Jones (while demolishing John Martins) and Rundle Place (while demolishing Harris Scarfe) to be built, plus have decided to remove the iconic silver balls and tried to move the heritage listed fountain (until protesters stopped them).
And don't even get me started on the Victoria Square removal of the Heritage Listed Fountain there also, all to make that more appealing for the Tour Down Under.
I mean they allowed a large 2 storey escalator and walkway to be built in the middle of the mall itself. Then decided it was not such a good idea once people started falling off (and dying).

What they are doing is milking Apple for all they are worth. Thats the reason for the delayed construction and opening. I have friends that got hired and suggest that it was a planned march opening originally then it got delayed, then delayed again for april, now may opening...unless delayed again.

We will see in the next few weeks i guess.

carlow1
19th May 2013, 10:17 AM
Anyone hear news about the Apple Store opening next Saturday 25th May with announcement this coming Tuesday? I read this news on another forum but with no source.

AfterBurner_1
19th May 2013, 12:56 PM
i'd heard the 25th too. I was thinking that it would be likely a June launch so they're fresh with the start of the financial year.
i'd also heard rumour on the marion store and how management down there have been making it hard for certain existing tennants.

Macman27
19th May 2013, 10:15 PM
Which forum?
URL?

carlow1
20th May 2013, 11:47 AM
It's the Sensational Adelaide forum. Rundle Place thread

Sensational-Adelaide.com &bull; View topic - U/C: Rundle Place | 76m | 15lvls | Retail & Office (http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1829&sid=9018ac036e4a837ae340a73f6a4b4790&start=1695)

gr8bob
20th May 2013, 11:19 PM
Well, it's official.

Apple Retail Store - Rundle Place (http://www.apple.com/au/retail/rundleplace/)

Buthidae
20th May 2013, 11:57 PM
Well, it's official.

Apple Retail Store - Rundle Place (http://www.apple.com/au/retail/rundleplace/)

Good luck R405! :thumbup:

Macman27
21st May 2013, 07:40 AM
See everyone there!

mac_man_luke
21st May 2013, 10:29 AM
About time...

Can finally get my iMac recall done and get my faulty lightning cable replaced.

Sambo
21st May 2013, 10:33 AM
Those who have been to store openings before. What was the time you got there in the morning? Around 6am? I'm really keen to get one of those limited t-shirts. Are they first 100 or so? Can't wait for our first store!

Macman27
21st May 2013, 05:22 PM
In the email it says the first 1000 customers get a branded signature shirt*

* No purchase is necessary

carlow1
21st May 2013, 08:30 PM
I see 9to5 mac and Appleinsider are reporting on the Adelaide Apple store

Adelaide Australia Apple store opens Saturday, here’s a look from the inside | 9to5Mac (http://9to5mac.com/2013/05/20/adelaide-australia-apple-store-opens-tomorrowheres-a-look-from-the-inside/?utm_source=pulsenews&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29)

Briefly: South Australia's first Apple Store to open Saturday in Adelaide (http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/20/briefly-south-australias-first-apple-store-to-open-this-saturday-in-adelaide)

AfterBurner_1
21st May 2013, 08:57 PM
Glad to hear this is happening!
And on the 25th!

Might have to head down there on Saturday morning, have just made appointments for Sunday afternoon.
Free shirt sounds great. I feel a long Wait and a great disappointment before sadness coming

iMic
22nd May 2013, 12:54 AM
I may stop by to meet and catch up with any MacTalkers that make the trip for the opening, provided I'm not booked up on Saturday (hopefully shouldn't be, looks pretty clear at this stage).

iMac
22nd May 2013, 08:37 AM
Bummer, I'm away with work this weekend.

Got the email on my phone as I was going through the airport :( :(. Definitley be checking this bad boy out when I get back next week though. Once again a reason to travel to the mall.

VALANDI
22nd May 2013, 10:50 AM
Looking forward to it. I'll be there!

codger
22nd May 2013, 11:40 AM
Never having seen an Apple Store, other than in photographs, I am looking forward to experiencing Adelaide's own Store this saturday.

lawrencium
22nd May 2013, 09:55 PM
It seems as though I will be there as well on Saturday.
How early should one arrive in the morning in order to be the within the first 1000 to receive a commemorative T-shirt?

Have never been to an Apple Retail Store before, so this should be a great experience.

carlow1
23rd May 2013, 03:38 PM
Pic of Adelaide store. I don't see any stairs in that photo. I hope it's still two storey. Can't see Genius Bar either.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s306/sh/4282fd44-1c6b-4985-b1ae-38a62e22b8fd/3ef30270d343d34a001337db1a4faa0b/deep/0/IMG_2410.png

carlow1
25th May 2013, 09:41 AM
I'm in the queue now. Any other Mactalkers here?

VALANDI
25th May 2013, 09:46 AM
I'm in the queue now. Any other Mactalkers here?

I am on way. Is the queue huge?

carlow1
25th May 2013, 09:55 AM
I'd say maybe 250 to 300 here already.

iMic
25th May 2013, 10:01 AM
Pic of Adelaide store. I don't see any stairs in that photo. I hope it's still two storey. Can't see Genius Bar either.

The Genius Bar is in the back, extending the entire width of the store. There's no sign denoting the Genius Bar either as the entire back wall is a backlit banner (currently for the iPhone 5), but it's there.

It's a single storey store, the Rundle Place floorpan has the stairwell in the back of house, so while there is an upper floor and it is space being utilised by Apple, it's not for storefront purposes. The customer facing portion of the store is one level only.

Anyone that went past last night would have seen the store completely packed as a select few made it through the doors early. (No secret, it was completely visible from the mall and there was quite a crowd outside last night.) I was impressed with how it feels inside. As I said a few times, it took Apple a while to make it to Adelaide, but they certainly made an impression when they finally did come to town. I think everyone that walks in there today is going to love it.

AfterBurner_1
25th May 2013, 11:09 AM
I had a bad night. only just got up. I've got appointments booked for tomorrow so i'll head in then.

carlow1
25th May 2013, 11:44 AM
Got a t-shirt. Also deaf from all the screaming

iMic
25th May 2013, 03:02 PM
Went in there around 1:30 PM. All I can say is that I don't think Apple will be disappointed with this turnout. I did spot the sign on the way out that they were filming and taking photos inside the store over the course of the day, will be interesting to see if they end up anywhere.

Who knows, maybe we'll get a mention during the retail update portion of the keynote at WWDC? Maybe.

Since the question will eventually come up, it looked fairly quiet over at Next Byte.

alexc
25th May 2013, 03:32 PM
I queued towards the end - huge turnout by the looks of things. Plenty of free t-shirts. They gave out a thousand I think.
Some pics on a blog here: Albert Crank | Apple Store Opening - Adelaide - Rundle St Mall - Australia (http://albertcrank.com/post/51281309659/apple-store-opening-adelaide-rundle-st-mall)

VALANDI
25th May 2013, 04:28 PM
Fantastic turn out indeed. I got my free tee :-)

bennyling
25th May 2013, 04:44 PM
Since the question will eventually come up, it looked fairly quiet over at Next Byte.

Ooh, sick burn.

It's funny though, it wasn't too long ago there were 20 NB stores nationally.

How times have changed.

Oldmacs
25th May 2013, 04:45 PM
Its not that much of a shame either.... After having RAM stolen twice by Next Byte....Good Riddance.

AfterBurner_1
25th May 2013, 08:51 PM
Its not that much of a shame either.... After having RAM stolen twice by Next Byte....Good Riddance.Whoah! the feck? how the feck? I have some friends at Mac Centre Norwood repair which look after me perty well when i need off load work that i dont have time to do.

lawrencium
25th May 2013, 10:12 PM
Was an excellent experience this morning, arriving just after 9 a.m.
The staff welcoming each customer individually into the store with cheering was a unique touch. The store-specific commemorative t-shirts are fantastic, too.

The store itself is incredibly impressive. I'm sure it exceeded many expectations.

Well done, Apple.

iMic
25th May 2013, 11:46 PM
Ooh, sick burn.

Well to be fair, it wasn't supposed to be. However in surveying the impact the Apple Store has on surrounding traders, and with them being the most direct competitor, I had to check it out. Perhaps I wandered in at an odd time of the day, but it didn't exactly look promising. Mind you, I normally stop by whenever I'm in the mall and it hasn't exactly ever been a hive of activity. At least that's from what I can see.

This kind of store opening affects me directly as well, I'm a service technician in the reseller network within a reasonable radius to the Adelaide CBD and the whispers around the traps from Apple fans, the general public and press alike suggest that I may not be for much longer. So it's bittersweet in a way. It's a shame, but that's the reality of it. You accept it and move forward, and I'm still just as excited by the Apple Store opening as anyone else. Hell, I went back in there twice for good measure. :D

codger
26th May 2013, 12:19 PM
I arrived just before 10am and seeing the crowd already there was concerned just how long I might have to wait to get inside (parking meter clicking over), so found a place in the secondary queue further along the Mall and was pleasantly surprised that I was being welcomed with cheers and Hi-5s within about 20 minutes. I guess the general layout is pretty much the same as Apple Stores elsewhere in Australia but I was told by boasting staff Adelaide had more elaborate signage and presentation. The huge crowd inside still got quick access to whatever they wanted. I think the T-shirt handout must have exceeded the promised 1000. Was again welcomed and asked whether I needed help at least twice so well done Apple.