PDA

View Full Version : 802.11g PCI cards for Mac

Byrd
4th July 2004, 06:59 PM
I'm looking at setting up a wireless network soon, have a Billion 7500G 802.11g ADSL modem to be used as an access point, along with a Minitar g PCI card for my PC. I'd like to use my B&W G3 as well for wireless - perhaps as a node for getting connected to a the Melbourne Wireless amateur network.

Does anyone know of any cheap PCI 'g' cards that are compatible with my Mac and OS X 10.3?

JB

decryption
5th July 2004, 10:29 AM
I guess if you get a PCI card that uses the same chipset as the AirPort Extreme (Broadcom IIRC) technically, it should be sweet.

purana
5th July 2004, 03:50 PM
Also be aware that the 7500G has some issues when used with Apple Airport or Apple Airport extreme (if you do end up buying an Apple card)

I've been testing some 7500G firmwares which have patches for Apple Airport Software (which means I aint game at the moment to install the next update in fear it breaks the patched firmware I am testing)

Byrd
6th July 2004, 08:59 AM
Great, thanks for the tips. Will look around to see if any old Broadcom chipset 802.11 PCI network card works. Or, one of those external USB 1.1 802.11b adaptors might work.

iodine> didn't know about that with the 7500G. My Mac likely won't be the main machine for ADSL, so should be OK. Have you found any improvements with the beta firmware in anything else, eg. coping better with multiple Bittorrent connections?

JB