PDA

View Full Version : Which MacBook Pro?

alkwin
8th October 2009, 01:10 AM
Hi I'm 15 and want to buy a new MacBook Pro. I'm going to take the 13'' MBP, but which model. This is what i usually do:
-internet
-msn
-x-plane 9 (mac game, 1GB/60GB hard drive)
-mail
-watch movies
-download music
-take with me during holiday
So which model should I take: MacBook Pro 13'' 2.26GHz or MacBook Pro 13'' 2.53GHz

Thank You

gareth
8th October 2009, 01:54 AM
2.26GHz model.

Dux
8th October 2009, 05:34 AM
2.26GHz model.

Yep, this.

Dante Kyar
8th October 2009, 05:44 AM
unless you backup dvd's and use handbrake or edit any family video, go with the 2.26 that others have mentioned.

bolle
8th October 2009, 06:29 AM
unless you backup dvd's and use handbrake or edit any family video, go with the 2.26 that others have mentioned.

wouldn't an extra 2gb ram and a faster hdd negate the extra .26ghz for ripping and editing?

The_Hawk
8th October 2009, 07:53 AM
The faster machine is $500 more but has a bigger 250GB HDD and 4GB RAM. As people have suggested, the extra speed is a drop in the bucket, but the other stuff could be worthwhile.

Buy the cheaper unit and spend the change on:

Ramcity have 4GB of RAM for $142.99

Which leaves you ~$350 which could get you a 128GB SSD and an external USB case for the old HDD.
(or you could just buy a 250 - 500GB HDD in either 5,400RPM or 7200RPM depending on preference for under $200 if you just want more space)

Cassy
8th October 2009, 08:27 AM
Hi guys, sorry to hijack this thread but which machine would you recommend for a little Plant vs Zombie or WoW thrown in?

uncyherb
8th October 2009, 09:46 AM
Hi guys, sorry to hijack this thread but which machine would you recommend for a little Plant vs Zombie or WoW thrown in?

As per the OP, the speed difference for a little gaming is going to be negligible between the two machines, other than the amount of RAM available. The 'slower' machine spec'd up with the same amount of RAM and the same HD will be so close in speed that most people would never notice the difference.

Unless you're crunching large photoshop files, editing a lot of stuff in Final Cut or Logic, or doing a lot of DVD compression work (like in DVD Studio Pro), then you'd be better off saving the money.

Cassy
8th October 2009, 10:02 AM
Forgot to mention I really didn't want to open up my macbook to upgrade the ram!
But really thats probably the best option >.<

Thanks Uncyherb

~Coxy
8th October 2009, 10:49 AM
WoW is extremely CPU dependent, so I would go for the higher specced model if it's going to be your primary raiding machine.

Upgrading the RAM yourself is very, very simple and will save you a bucketload, but I guess you probably know that so I won't try to convince you any more.

Cassy
8th October 2009, 11:16 AM
Upgrading the RAM yourself is very, very simple and will save you a bucketload, but I guess you probably know that so I won't try to convince you any more.

I read a guide recently (linked from mactalk) and it said that the unibody models were a little harder to upgrade and you had to lift out all these things. Kind of had me worried but I guess a little harder then very very simple is still very simple ^^

At the moment the $$ difference I'm looking at is about $350 so its not too bad

The_Hawk
8th October 2009, 10:00 PM
I read a guide recently (linked from mactalk) and it said that the unibody models were a little harder to upgrade and you had to lift out all these things. Kind of had me worried but I guess a little harder then very very simple is still very simple ^^

At the moment the $$ difference I'm looking at is about $350 so its not too bad

Not really, bunch of screws, remove cover, remove RAM, instert RAM, screw back together. Just keep the screws in a line so you put them back in the same order you removed them and it's easy as.

Cassy
11th October 2009, 10:36 AM
I might do just that then! Buy the base model and upgrade the ram.

Thanks for your help!

Now to wait patiently for the refurb store...

droodles
11th October 2009, 10:34 PM
there is a 300Mhz difference, i doubt there will be any real world difference at all. not even in handbrake.

4GB RAM gives you more performance because it cuts down on writing to the hard drive.

iCarllovesapple
11th October 2009, 11:50 PM
I'd get the 2.26. That's enough for what you need. After you buy it, upgrade the ram to 4GB.

Cassy
14th October 2009, 11:10 AM
2.26 it is!!
I am getting really sick of refreshing the refurb store every 5 minutes :P

come one apple! give me my new laptop already!