PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy Airport Signal On Ibook...

spilla
25th July 2005, 12:21 AM
ok, heres my problem, ever since i upgraded my iBook to Panther (about 6 months ago) my airport signal on my iBook G3 has been really bad, for example, if i have signal in one spot, and i move the iBook about 2 cm away....the airport signal cuts out....then i move it another 2 cm and it has signal again. my ABS is a snow dual ethernet and the other laptops and everything have signal perfect all around the house. and also....the base station is only about 2m away, only going thru one wall (plasterboard wall).....i have tried everything to fix it, i've taken out the airport card and put it back in + made sure it was seated firmly, i've made sure that the aerial connector is seated firmly and it all is.....is there anyway that i could fix this? :(

hawker
25th July 2005, 01:02 AM
Panther did have some issues with airport signal, if memory serves me. Although I did not have too many problems - mind you I am rarely every at distance from my router. Maybe upgrade to Tiger and see how you go?

Also - what type of wireless access point are you using? You might want to look and see if you have a firmware update for it - as this has caused problems in the past!

spilla
25th July 2005, 02:42 AM
upgrading to tiger i would like to do....but my dad doesn't agree with me....and i think i'm using the latest firmware.....i just can't check at the moment seeing as the base station is being a prick and won't let me configure it.....(can't see it in Airport Admin Utility).....but thats another story.....i think

spilla
25th July 2005, 05:19 PM
today i updated my airport software to 4.2 on my all my macs....and that hasn't seemed to help.....any other ideas?

Currawong
25th July 2005, 07:26 PM
Check the aerial is plugged into the airport card in your ibook proplerly maybe?

spilla
25th July 2005, 08:51 PM
yep it's in in properly.....but for some reason now.....without changing anything.....the signal is a lot better? like it's not dropping out anymore.......so maybe it fixed itself? who knows......but thanks for all of your help anyway.....and i'm still trying to convince my dad to buy tiger...... :)

EDIT: i've now found out that the problem is still here and annoying the hell out of me as usual....

Mac Aid
30th July 2005, 08:54 AM
1. try enabling interface robustness on you iBook and on the Base Station
2. try switching channels.
3. what security type are you using? you could try chaging that as a last resort.

Good Luck

spilla
5th August 2005, 11:28 PM
ok.....i've upgraded to Tiger on my iBook (10.4)....and the problem is still here...

and also....i can't access the base station in Airport Admin, it just doesn't show up in the list...and i've tried manually connecting....but that still don't work.... :( .....

how do i switch on interface robustness on the iBook?

emacmark
5th August 2005, 11:45 PM
just click on the airport icon in the top bar and you will see it

by the way , its interferece robustness

spilla
6th August 2005, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by emacmark@Aug 5 2005, 11:45 PM
just click on the airport icon in the top bar and you will see it

by the way , its interferece robustness
huh? :huh:

do you mean the icon in the menu bar which shows the signal strength? up near the time and that? or in Airport Admin?

emacmark
6th August 2005, 12:14 AM
Sorry mate, in the top menu bar, the icon that shows signal strength. I dont have a base station, just computer to computer. Sorry for the confusion.

Mark

Mac Aid
6th August 2005, 08:52 AM
you need to enable interference robustness in the airport admin utility for it to be available in the airport menu. If you can't access your base station with it, you need to reset your base station. Try a power cycle first, failing that a complete reset using the reset button.

spilla
6th August 2005, 03:19 PM
ok....i've enabled interference robustness on the base station....but in the options part of the Aiport properties....it's greyed out....

spilla
24th August 2005, 09:28 AM
okay....it's definately something to do with my iBook....seeing as wi-fi signal at Sydney international airport, a hotel at LAX, and the Holiday Inn in NY all provide the same symptoms.....could it be that the antenna in the lid/screen is broken or something?

Mac Aid
28th August 2005, 11:34 PM
I had a client once who had a faulty hinge in his iBook (was stiff) which ultimately cut or otherwise destroyed his antenna.

That was in a G3 iBook, so not sure if it's relevant to the newer ones.

helloroto
28th August 2005, 11:57 PM
well try taking out the airport card and then putting it back in, dont forget, the antenna can be tricky to put back in properly...

Cheers,
Roto :blink:

sabre1
14th September 2005, 09:52 PM
you will probably find it is a buggered antenna wire I had the same problem with a G3/500 snow iBook .
Replaced the antenna with a new one bingo no problems
As I said I was having similiar problems was 4 feet from base station and had buggar all signal,depending on where I was with the laptop depended on signal strenght YET another iBook the same configuration had no problems and I even sat in truck out the front on the road with it connected to the net