PDA

View Full Version : Vodafone in General Newcastle area?

grfxninja
6th October 2009, 02:56 PM
Hi guy's,
Is there anybody on the Vodafone network in the Newcastle area?
How is the performance?
Dropped calls?
3G work OK?
etc. etc.

Looking to shit can Virgin (Optus) (yes, I know I should have listened earlier in the year when I was deciding, but, live and learn I guess…) and am looking for alternatives. Voda seems to get a reasonable rap on these forums but I haven't noticed if anybody is on Voda in Newcastle.

Of course, the alternative is Telstra, and if it comes to it, I will sign up with them, but thought I should check out VF first. Hopefully they are OK in Newcastle because I don't know if I can handle being raped by Telstra… even if their service is superior :confused:

I will just need to pay out the handset payments with Virgin which surprisingly isn't too exorbitant once the first 6 months is up at the end of this month (around $550 - could have been worse!).

So I would appreciate if anyone has anything to say about VF in Newcastle area.

Cheers

whitemacbook
6th October 2009, 03:13 PM
so so in newcastle
rubbish in port stephens

i got sick of my mum complaining about it so i switched her to telstra

Alec Fraser
6th October 2009, 04:30 PM
I've been told it's improved recently. Since Vodafone did their big regional network upgrade and flicked the switch in late August, I've actually been getting positive comments about the coverage for our dealership there instead of he usual negative ones :)

grfxninja
6th October 2009, 07:25 PM
so so in newcastle
rubbish in port stephens

i got sick of my mum complaining about it so i switched her to telstra

Bugger… I live in Port Stephens (Raymond Terrace).
I'll have to do a bit further investigating and see if the upgrade that FilthySpringbok mentions has improved it somewhat.

Don't want to switch to another provider as bad as Virgin/Optus…

grfxninja
7th October 2009, 01:20 PM
just thought I'd give this a little nudge in case anyone else might have something to add?

Exocet
7th October 2009, 01:38 PM
I've been told it's improved recently. Since Vodafone did their big regional network upgrade and flicked the switch in late August, I've actually been getting positive comments about the coverage for our dealership there instead of he usual negative ones :)
Issue though is I'm pretty sure Vodafone used 900MHz for their 3G expansion (which the iPhone doesn't support).

grfxninja
7th October 2009, 01:54 PM
Issue though is I'm pretty sure Vodafone used 900MHz for their 3G expansion (which the iPhone doesn't support).

I was just having a read of a thread from earlier this year on Whingepool about the Expansion and - in Newcastle at least - it appears that it is the 2100MHz band being used.

Jaffa
7th October 2009, 02:18 PM
There is 900MHz band in Newcastle - i use it on my virgin mobile broadband account! It's great stuff it is! It's a shame the iPhone doesn't have 900MHz 3G. I've still got a first gen iPhone and will be switching to Vodafone in March. I'd switch now but it'd make no sense as I'm going away in December. So what I'm going to do is switch to Voda Prepaid 365 day for those couple of months, then switch to Voda Contract. The EDGE network is definitely a plus for me as my iPhone doesn't do 3G

grfxninja
7th October 2009, 04:17 PM
after talking to a couple of mates with iPhones and on Vodafone (pays to ask around those closer to home :D) I have gone with Telstra.
Just got back from the Telstra Shop with a new iPhone 3GS 16GB

Gotta figure out how I'm going to explain this to my missus when I get home tonight though :o

At least I can give her my "old" 3G 8GB as some sort of atonement…

kyte
7th October 2009, 04:44 PM
So what I'm going to do is switch to Voda Prepaid 365 day for those couple of months, then switch to Voda Contract. The EDGE network is definitely a plus for me as my iPhone doesn't do 3G

Jaffa... Voda doesnt *have* EDGE. Only Telstra does. You'll have standard, slow GPRS if you go Voda. And its a nightmare. I found EDGE decent on my Telstra prepaid (but ultimately bought 3GS, leaving poor original iphone staring at me from its dock)

Exocet
7th October 2009, 04:54 PM
Jaffa... Voda doesnt *have* EDGE. Only Telstra does. You'll have standard, slow GPRS if you go Voda. And its a nightmare. I found EDGE decent on my Telstra prepaid (but ultimately bought 3GS, leaving poor original iphone staring at me from its dock)

Yes they do...
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/31/69993-vodafone-edge.html
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/55/71542-vodafone-upgrades-2g-network-edge.html

kyte
7th October 2009, 05:04 PM
Yes they do...
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/31/69993-vodafone-edge.html
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/55/71542-vodafone-upgrades-2g-network-edge.html

Whoah! Now that *is* a good thing. Shame it wasn't about when I was still using my older phone.

Jaffa
11th October 2009, 05:55 PM

Actually, it does. Vodafone’s Boosting Their 2G Network To EDGE | Gizmodo Australia (http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/08/vodafones-boosting-their-2g-network-to-edge/)

*Edit* Didn't keep on reading in the thread.

Cods
28th October 2009, 04:19 PM
grfxninja et al,

I have some friends returning from the US to Newcastle (an innerish suburb), and they seem pretty sold on the iPhone 3G/3GS after standard spruiking from my wife and I about how good ours are. They're departing for Oz in the next few weeks, and are asking me for advice on carriers and plans.

Before we moved to the US we were on Optus in Brisvegas. Whilst the service was a tad spotty then (dropouts far from unheard of, a fair bit of slow 3G) it wasn't enough for us to bother changing telco. It seems it may be worse now... (as an aside, funnily enough, AT&T aren't particularly flash, although they are better than Optus are currently being painted).

From this thread, plus the standard "Optus sucks" thread, I'm getting the feeling that there's not much in the way of a good choice of an iPhone 3GS Telco in Newy.

In summary:
Telstra - great quality, but you pay for it.
Optus - not so flash for a bunch of reasons, but hey, they're cheap.
Vodaphone - grfxninja has just moved away from them... so, not very good in Newcastle perhaps? Pricing OK.
3 - ?
Virgin - ?

So, recommendations for the bestest value Novocastrian iPhone 3GS telco & plan? Basically:
- 2x 16Gb iPhone 3GS
- 24 month contract
- looking for a fairly low (~100Mb / mth) data usage
- 100ish minutes of voice / mth
- 30ish SMS / mth

Cheers!

kyte
28th October 2009, 06:26 PM
In summary:
Telstra - great quality, but you pay for it.
Optus - not so flash for a bunch of reasons, but hey, they're cheap.
Vodaphone - grfxninja has just moved away from them... so, not very good in Newcastle perhaps? Pricing OK.
3 - ?
Virgin - ?

So, recommendations for the bestest value Novocastrian iPhone 3GS telco & plan? Basically:
- 2x 16Gb iPhone 3GS
- 24 month contract
- looking for a fairly low (~100Mb / mth) data usage
- 100ish minutes of voice / mth
- 30ish SMS / mth

Cheers!

Telstra prepaid is hands down the best value and the least complex at the moment.

Latest Offers - Pre-Paid Mobile Phones - Telstra (http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/prepaid/latestoffers/)

Talk 'n' Text: no contract needed, calls are cheaper on prepaid, and they can buy 100mb data blocks as often as they like with the credit paid in. Seriously, its a good deal and flexible as hell. Pay $40 this month and find you dont use it all? Pay $30 next month, day before credit expires, and watch your credit and unused minutes and texts roll over into the following month.

Seriously good.

Cods
29th October 2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks Kyte.

Lockley
29th October 2009, 03:16 PM
i live in thornton (near maitland) vodafone is ok in maitland/metford but in thornton Zero service