PDA

View Full Version : Mail upside down

jdagis
6th October 2009, 07:40 AM
A couple of days ago I opened mail and the inbox order was reversed, so that new mail was at the top instead of the bottom of the window.

The other mailboxes behave properly by having the latest mail at the bottom of the window.

I don't know how to get it back to normal, so shall appreciate any advice on how to do so.

Japester
6th October 2009, 07:44 AM
A couple of days ago I opened mail and the inbox order was reversed, so that new mail was at the top instead of the bottom of the window.

The other mailboxes behave properly by having the latest mail at the bottom of the window.

I don't know how to get it back to normal, so shall appreciate any advice on how to do so.

Click the header for the column you want to sort by. Click again to reverse the sort on that column.

Most likely this is what happened accidentally.

ClockWork
6th October 2009, 07:58 AM
Yep - if you look at the top of your messages, you'll see they are ordered by:
From - Subject - Date Received.

If the Date Received header has its tiny grey arrow pointing "up", the date order of your messages will be in reverse:

http://clockworkoren.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/mailorder01.jpg

... as shown here in the little red square to the far right.

Simply click once anywhere on the Date Received header:

http://clockworkoren.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/mailorder02.jpg

- as circled in here in red, and the little arrow to the far right will point "down", and your mail messages will appear in the correct date order.

jdagis
6th October 2009, 08:05 AM
Thanks guys, you've made my day. :)

ClockWork
6th October 2009, 08:14 AM
Note - this rule is universal throughout Mac OS X.

Every window containing a list of "stuff" will have a column header called: Date Modified, and by clicking the Date Modified header, you can see your Documents - or whatever is in an open folder - by how old or how new they are, as every file has its own permanently recorded date and time.