PDA

View Full Version : Mail App: Where is the sound?

xerodude
5th October 2009, 06:38 PM
Simple.....

Where is the Mail App sound stored? I want to add this sound to Postbox mail app.

Thanks!

ClockWork
5th October 2009, 07:14 PM
Open Macintosh HD -> open Applications folder -> locate Mail.app.

control-click on Mail.app produces a drop-down menu.
Scroll down to: Show Package Contents.

Open Contents folder -> open Resources folder.

Switch view to List and order list by Kind.

There are four Mail sounds:

Mail Fetch Error.aiff
Mail Sent.aiff
New Mail.aiff
No Mail.aiff

To copy any of these four sound files, hold down the option key, click down on any or all of the AIFF files and drag them to your Desktop.

Do not change any of the AIFF files in Mail's Resources folder, or remove them, or rename them, or add your own, as Mail will start having problems with its Sounds.

Just copy the ones you want to your Desktop and use them as you see fit.
Close off all windows leading back to Mail's Package Contents, and then close off the Package Contents window, so that everything is left in exactly the way you found it.

xerodude
5th October 2009, 07:43 PM
Legend...!!!

Thank you!

LennyX
5th October 2009, 07:45 PM
Do not change any of the AIFF files in Mail's Resources folder, or remove them, or rename them, or add your own, as Mail will start having problems with its Sounds.

Why would replacing one of the stock AIFF's with a custom one cause problems? And would that be true for other things like the artwork files?

xerodude
5th October 2009, 07:46 PM
I wanted the sound file for a different mail app. I am not changing the Mail app sound.

ClockWork
5th October 2009, 07:49 PM
Why would replacing one of the stock AIFF's with a custom one cause problems? And would that be true for other things like the artwork files?

Because this particular thread (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/14/21890-mega-merge-mail-sound-problems.html) lasted for one year, and anyone who remembers it would most likely never desire a repeat...

LennyX
5th October 2009, 07:49 PM
I wanted the sound file for a different mail app. I am not changing the Mail app sound.

Yeah I know. I was curious as to why that would cause problem with Mail.app so I kind of hijacked your thread :p

Edit: Thanks ClockWork. I guess I'll stay out of there then

xerodude
5th October 2009, 07:52 PM
i am playing with the mail app Postbox. I just wanted a sound to got with it..... :)

Incidentally, I am liking this app more and more.......