PDA

View Full Version : Wireless MacBook Can Connect to Firfox but not Safari

SquarePixel
5th October 2009, 12:26 PM
Hi There

I've just set up my network at home using a billion modem, time capsule in bridge mode, connected wirelessly to a mac-mini (running 10.5.8) and my macbook - about four years old (running 10.4.11). I also have a dell laptop which comes home from work sometimes for a visit.

My internet connection on my mac-mini is fine but I can't access safari or internet explorer on the two lap-tops. Even though with my macbook it says it's connected to airport, connected to the internet via airport and has full strength signal (the laptop's connection seems to last only a few seconds).

I've done a lot of googling on "macbook can't connect to internet wirelessly" and see there are lots of people out there with similar-ish problems. Anyhow, discovered last night I can actually access internet fine on firefox...leading me to think there is a safari bug (not sure about explorer on the dell).

Message from Safari is: Safari can’t open the page “http://www.google.com.au/” because the server where this page is located isn’t responding.

I've re-set sarfari (ticked all the boxes) a couple of times but no luck. I've cross checked network preferences and they look the same to me (from a wirless novice point of view)

Any advice on what maybe the problem here with both safari (4.03 on both macs) and explorer? Strange it runs fine on the mini but not the macbook (is it an OSX issue?)

TIA

SP

fan
5th October 2009, 02:12 PM
You may have proxies on or similar issue.

Go to safari-preference-advance and see if any proxy settings if not
go to
system preference-network-airport-proxies

set up as configure Proxies-Manually

at bottom-
Bypass proxy settings for these Hosts & Domains
add
*.local, 169.254/16

above is for billion since billion use 254 for settings

SquarePixel
5th October 2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks Fan!! It worked - I also had some proxies set up for a uni library still in there which were blocking things - so I cleared those and put in your "code".

Thanks again;)