PDA

View Full Version : Invalid Jabber certificate

tintinaujapon
5th October 2009, 04:06 AM
I've had this problem for years now, but I resolved it on my old Mac by just choosing to ignore security concerns, somewhere in the settings.

That doesn't seem to be working on my new Mac and I'd like a secure, permanent fix.

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/1236/screenshot20091005at158.png

In the absence of one, is it possible for me to move to another jabber server without losing the user ID friends and family have associated with me? I think not.

Jabber's Australian effort is pretty slapdash. They no longer even seem to have a website up.

gehenna
5th October 2009, 05:19 AM
Looks like your server is using a self-signed SSL certificate. Fix would be to either use a non-SSL server port, or install tell your Mac to trust the certificate by clicking Show Certificate and then choosing to Always Trust.

zootman
5th October 2009, 06:41 AM
Jabber's Australian effort is pretty slapdash. They no longer even seem to have a website up.

I've given up on jabber.org.au. It was very good for a while but about 8 months ago, maybe, its service became erratic and now is pretty unreliable. And as you say they dont even have a website now. Sad to say, I use Skype, Yahoo and AIM for my main chat media now. Might give jabber.org a go one of these days.

Cheers.

gehenna
5th October 2009, 06:44 AM
You could always build your own Jabber server if you had the inclination :)
Check out Openfire (http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/). Pretty easy to get up and running if you have a spare low end PC or Virtual machine

zootman
5th October 2009, 07:01 AM
Yeah, I could ! I built one once for an exercise on my linux box, but , then I'd have to take responsibility for it ! Yikes, I'm into responsibility avoidance ! Might checkout this openfire. I notice some public xmpp sites are running it.

Cheers.

gehenna
5th October 2009, 07:04 AM
yep, i built one for work. its fine for home use if you're only using it as a private network for friends/family etc. wouldn't want to make it public :)

tintinaujapon
5th October 2009, 10:49 AM
On my old Mac I set Adium to just trust the certificate and had no problem. Nothing I'm doing on jabber is of national security. If the CIA or bin Laden want to intercept my messages to my wife in the other room asking for more chips, that's fine.

On my new SL Mac though, the 'trust this dodgy certificate anyway' setting doesn't seem to be working.

The server has never let me down actually, I can always use chat - it's just this damn annoying message marring my startup every time.