PDA

View Full Version : Macos x v.10.5 problem connecting with ethernet!

set05
5th October 2009, 01:52 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm getting crazy trying to connect my mac in internet using an ethernet cable.
I've a Macos x version 10.5.8 Leopard.
Everything worked until I was using TIger on my mac, how is it possible?
I tried different solutions found in internet but none worked!
Does anyone knows how to do it?

thanks
:-)

dappleone
5th October 2009, 08:34 AM
I have had similar issues with newer Cat 6 ethernet cables under Snow Leopard. I'm still unsure if it isn't something to do with my Billion modem though. In the end I have stuck with one of my machines working well with a Cat 5e cable and using wireless for the other machines. Still confused about this!
:(

Boney_Ahem
5th October 2009, 08:42 AM
Once I had checked the cable for breaks and rebooted the modem/router, next would be to check that the inputted data in Sys Prefs ~> Network hadn't been altered somehow ... next step would be to call my ISP and troubleshoot the issue with them ... they would be able to tell you whether or not everything was good to go at their end.

As for cat5/6 cables ... I didn't even know there were different cables until my son walked in with a new black cable ... is that possibly a cat6 cos the other cables are all blue?

Or does colour have nought to do with this?

dappleone
5th October 2009, 08:52 AM
Yes, the newer Cat 6 cables are black.

I returned two of them to Tandy because I was unable to get them to work correctly. Either blue or yellow ethernet cables seem to work OK but they are getting harder to find in any of the local stores. Getting slightly longer cables is even harder.

Despite being backwards compatible, it does seem that there are slight differences in the specifications on these newer Cat 6 cables. As I said, I am still unsure if it is Mac OS that is sensitive or if my Billion modem is the cause of my grief.

mysticgreg
5th October 2009, 12:31 PM
Also check the status of the port itself in System Profiler. I had the same issue when I first upgraded my Core Duo Macbook to Leopard, but it turns out that the ethernet port had failed. I use wifi for the most part and the machine was out of warranty so I haven't had it repaired.

Leopard wouldn't show that the ethernet port existed at all, and Snow Leopard reports that it's there but with a "default" looking MAC address of 01:02:03:04:05:06.

set05
5th October 2009, 09:29 PM
I've already call my provider and internet is fine!
I think is something wrong with Leopard, maybe the configuration or the modem isn't compatible with Leopard...

With airport using another modem it' work!