PDA

View Full Version : Office:Mac 2008 slow as... your mum driving

RustySpanner
3rd October 2009, 09:16 PM
Anyone use Office:Mac 2008 (with latest patch update)?
I have to use it at work, and it's slow as shit. I mean, stupidly slow. The mac is a quad core Mac Pro 2.8, with 5gb RAM and loads of drive space, it runs CS3/CS4 like a dream, but Office makes it feel like it's got a 68020 under the hood. Specifically, Excel is the problem, as I use it to manipulate data files.

For example, when I type anything in anywhere, there is a lag of up to three seconds between pressing the key, and having the letter appear on screen. This even happens in what I would have thought were elements handled by the OS, such as open/save as dialog boxes. Every action has a delay of several seconds. It is driving me bananas. BANANAS, I TELL YOU!!!!11

Copy/paste is stupidly slow. Strangely, formula evaluation is not too bad. The size of the data file does not affect performance - even with no file open it is still slow. But it is slow, and I damn well can't figure out why.

ANY IDEAS PEPELS BEFORE I BECOME AN HUMAN BANANA???

AnthoMac
3rd October 2009, 10:57 PM
I'm totally with you; I was so disappointed in both the speed and the archaic GUI layout of MS Office 2008 that by running Windows Server 2003 (I have a free legit licence) in a virtual machine (VMware Fusion) I am able to use the superiour Windows version of Office 2007 on my Mac. Quite ironic, really. Doesn't seem to be significantly faster, but I don't feel that I have to wrestle and fight the Mac version of Office every time I try to do some simple operation, and thus I am able to work much more efficiently.

As for the mac side, well iWork '09 is lightning fast!

Steeley
3rd October 2009, 11:26 PM
Do you have a lot of fonts installed? The more fonts you have the slower Office becomes. I started using a font management program and things sped up heaps.

RustySpanner
4th October 2009, 12:37 AM
I'm pretty good with fonts - I've deleted anything not required by the system and applications, and manually manage ~home/library/fonts on a job by job basis. I'll check the font menu to see if Excel is finding more fonts somewhere else, but I don't think that's the problem.

*sigh* I do have a Dell workstation with Excel but I really hate having to constantly switch computers when I'm right in the middle of something. My Mac should be able to do this! I mean, it's got more processing power than every computer in the universe, including itself, right?

Brentnal
24th December 2009, 12:10 AM
I've encountered this issue recently. Looks like if you have a HP printer selected as default it'll slow down Excel. I tested this by installing a "dummy" LPR printer on a fake IP address and setting it as default.

All my Excel slow down problems disappeared.

Apple - Support - Discussions - Excel 2008 running slow and hogging CPU ... (http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2141508&tstart=0&start=15)