PDA

View Full Version : Austrian Airlines & Internet Access

applecollector
24th July 2005, 10:02 AM
Hello,

I would like to know if i can get internet access on Austrian Airlines, I have heard you can get internet access on planes but i have never done it before. :unsure:
So even if i can get internet access how much is it and how do i set it up? :blink:
Thanks!
Bye :D

Kildare
24th July 2005, 11:14 AM
Don't think its offered on any Australian airlines as yet & from looking around it can be either by wired / wireless connection.

Probably be a bit $$$ too. Get a good book or something. :P

pipsqeek
24th July 2005, 12:03 PM
Internet access on a mobile - global vehicle, ie: Ship, Plane, etc. Will usually use satellite internet.

This is extremely costly for them to run, so the costs (as with everything else in life) comes down to you, the customer paying for it all.

As suggested, I don't think there are Aussie airlines that have internet on their planes yet, but if they did... I'd think it be on 1st class and business class first, or just those two alone, and economy class would get something akin to the amount of leg room they provide.

pipsqeek

applecollector
24th July 2005, 12:19 PM
i remeber internet being avaliable but i just wanted to make sure i think it was like 5.95US per minute!

mac_man_luke
24th July 2005, 02:09 PM
Its available in airports in aus, and on international flights if i remember correctly

applecollector
24th July 2005, 03:06 PM
oh ok thanks now i need very urgently to buy an Airport Card so please if anyone has one i'm will willing to pay $140 for it!
Well thats is an Airport Card that will workin my clamshell!

pipsqeek
24th July 2005, 03:45 PM
Well, if that's the case, then by all means. Get yourself an Airport card.

I don't know if anyone is selling them in the trading forum. But I have seen heaps on ebay for as little as $90.

Good Luck.

pipsqeek

Alessiman
24th July 2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by applecollector@Jul 24 2005, 03:06 PM
oh ok thanks now i need very urgently to buy an Airport Card so please if anyone has one i'm will willing to pay $140 for it!
Well thats is an Airport Card that will workin my clamshell!
No Australia based airline has WiFi equipped planes yet.

AFAIK Lufthansa in Germany are the only ones trialling this service with perhaps BA, Singapore and JAL next

Its about $US30 per flight

The ONLY wifi you will get groundside is the Telstra hotspots. Which are about $20 per 15mins of thereabouts.

Obviously lots of people using that service at Airports as you can see.

Save the money and get prepaid dialup cards. Thats how i get net access on the move

spilla
24th July 2005, 06:16 PM
does anyone know if United Airlines have WiFi on its international flights?

dracomjb
25th July 2005, 12:30 PM
As has already been said, only a limited number of airlines are testing internet access using WiFi. Some airlines have as part of their inflight entertainment systems some form of internet access.

The only way of knowing if the airline you are travelling with and more importantly the flight that you are scheduled on having that service is by contacting the airline just before you fly. An airline may only have 1 or 2 aircraft that are testing or have these systems on, it may only be available to business and first classes. Your flight may be codeshared and being run by a partner airline and that airline doesn't have the same systems.

Finally, in Australia the only areas I've ever seen with WiFi is the Qantas Club. If you sit close to the Qantas club you may find you can get access but it is only a Telstra pay as you go hotspot. $5 an hour unless you have an existing agreement.

Outside of Australia you may find other airports have better WiFi. Singapore Airport has WiFi, but it requires payment or an account already setup. I have never been that desperate to actually go further into what was required when in Singapore.

spargo
25th July 2005, 04:47 PM
Here's a previous thread where a few of us discussed in-flight access (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=8481)..

Also, this one (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=9351) has extra info about access in airports while on the road.. And here's an old Apple article where they brag about iChatting on a Luthansa flight - click here (http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2004/06/ichat_at_35k/)

One thing to remember in all of this, while you may be able to get wireless access on some airlines, hardly any airlines offer at-seat power points in Economy class yet.. so even with all the wireless access a 12 hour flight can offer, you'll need a bag full of batteries to make the distance, and thats if you can afford to pay for the access..

Oh, and that's my 500th post - when do I get my Gold Labeled AppleTalk boots like ooh ahh Glenn McGrath?

Paxton
25th July 2005, 05:22 PM
Shane - All you get is the ability to have an avatar, like one other major Mac Forum :P .

Collector - as has already been said, there is no Australian based Airlines, be it domestic or International that offer WI-FI onboard the plane. Business Class on Qantas has Deat Chargerd for your LapTop, but that is the extent so far, due mainly to price. The Qantas Club has free WI-FI and terminals for computer access, however it is slow, and because it is Bigpond, unreliable. Just wait until you land before going online.

-Andrew

applecollector
25th July 2005, 06:50 PM
Hello,

I wasn't taking about Australian Airlines i was taking about Austrian Airlines,
I'm traveling to Europe and that why i asked either way the day after tomorrow i will find out.
if the wireless thing dosen't work then i still have my dial up connection!
i remember it was 5.95 US per Min to use the telephone so i could be able to log on to my Dial Up connection and at least be on for a few mins just to check out Appletalk.
yep i'll be taking 2 batteries with me both last about 2 1/2 hours without major dimming so i should be ok, i'll also take my newton with me so it will be fun.

PS; thanks for all the info!

applecollector
25th July 2005, 07:39 PM
Well you do have a point!
The airline were going with offers telephone service with credit card payment only!
anyways thanks for the info!

spargo
26th July 2005, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by applecollector@Jul 25 2005, 10:39 AM
Well you do have a point!
The airline were going with offers telephone service with credit card payment only!
anyways thanks for the info!
'dial-up' via a phone handset on a plane..?? good luck with that buddy! :blink: I'm sure the AA hosties will be real chuffed when you start pulling plugs out of the phone handset and plugging them into your clamshell modem!!! :lol: :lol:

after all this, did you ever actually check their website (http://www.aua.com/au/eng/about_flight/onboard/)? - i did, it took me 2 minutes, and there's no mention of internet or wireless access on board their aircraft from Australia.

just sit back, relax, and have a pleasant flight collector - you can be without your AppleTalk for at least a day i'm sure!

did you read my post where I provided a link to another thread where wi-fi access in asian hub airports was discussed?? - you can access the web from there while in transit..

P.S. a quick Google came up with this article (http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,120817,00.asp), which gives info on in-flight Wi-Fi access, the airlines who are taking it up, cost, etc etc.. enjoy!

dracomjb
26th July 2005, 01:03 PM
I'm not even sure the inflight phones even have data ports, so you would have to have an acoustic coupler, reducing the line speed. Even with data ports the phone service is some kind of satellite phone system or even radio phone system, so I expect you to struggle to get anywhere close to 9600 or 2400 if you were lucky.

the_OM
26th July 2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by paxtonandrew@Jul 25 2005, 05:22 PM
Shane - All you get is the ability to have an avatar, like one other major Mac Forum :P .

Collector - as has already been said, there is no Australian based Airlines, be it domestic or International that offer WI-FI onboard the plane. Business Class on Qantas has Deat Chargerd for your LapTop, but that is the extent so far, due mainly to price. The Qantas Club has free WI-FI and terminals for computer access, however it is slow, and because it is Bigpond, unreliable. I suggest that you have a few movies handy for the flight, because there is nothing better than watching your own computer in the sky. As I know, because on my recent flight to Cairns, I had Despearte Housewives on my PowerBook. About 1/2 way into the flight, the purser came down to do the small talk to the Business Class travellers, and saw the computer. He mentioned that he Liked Apple, and Saw what I was watching and on sight of one of the actors, mentioned how ugly she was (for the fans, Gabrielle Solis) and then kept walking. Whats better, being a Platnum Frequent Flyer, or having your favorite TV shows on your computer?

-Andrew
fuck you love talking yourself up don't you?

Disko
26th July 2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by the_OM@Jul 26 2005, 01:40 PM
fuck you love talking yourself up don't you?
is that neccesary? There's no need for that here at all, om. :thumbdn:

the_OM
26th July 2005, 03:13 PM
Sorry. I won't do it again.

D_J_M
26th July 2005, 04:49 PM
Sorry. I won't do it again.

Hold on. I think it was a fair call. If that's his opinion then he should be able to voice it.

The post he was criticising was a complete public wank-off and mostly not relevant.

there is nothing better than watching your own computer in the sky

You have to be joking? Desperate fucking Housewives. Are you for real?

I am not actually sure if this post is a wind up or not... please tell me it's not real.

Disko
26th July 2005, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by D_J_M@Jul 26 2005, 04:19 PM
Hold on. I think it was a fair call. If that's his opinion then he should be able to voice it.
at the risk of dragging this further off topic: He is allowed to voice it. But in saying that, there is a difference between "isn't that completely off topic? Start a new thread." and "fuck you love talking yourself up don't you?". OM is an intellegent person - i'm sure he can string together constructive sentences to express his opinion. Its not about what he said, its how he said it.

applecollector
26th July 2005, 05:18 PM
Hello,

I just realized how stupid i was on the title i wrote Australian Airlines when it should have been Austrian!
God I'm stupid!
Anyways tomorrow night i'll find out and then i'll write back to tell everyone what happened!
And i hope my cousin well at least let me use his broadband connection for a few mins to make a post here at Appletalk!
He has 512kb Broadband at about 5c per minute according to him thats expensive!
Thank god we live in a country where internet is cheap! :-)
So thats all from me!
Bye

Paxton
26th July 2005, 06:07 PM
The o_m, I do watch that show, however when people like you vilify it, I wonder why I bother at all to make conversation. I would have thought better from a senior member of AppleTalk. I have edited the post, and hope that it will not be picked to shreds again.

D_J_M, it is not a send up. I do watch that show, and enjoy it. I just hope you don't turn around and call me gay for liking Kath and Kim. A Flame is a flame, and I don't particularly like being on the receiving end of them. Please keep it to private messages from now on.

Collector, either I need new glasses, or the title has changed from Australian to Austrian, meaining my responses were null and void. Please disregard them, and enjoy your holiday.

-Andrew

Disko
26th July 2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by paxtonandrew@Jul 26 2005, 05:37 PM
Collector, either I need new glasses, or the title has changed from Australian to Austrian, meaining my responses were null and void.
I edited the topic after applecollector's last post. :)

LCGuy
26th July 2005, 07:47 PM
Slightly OT:

Enjoy your trip, applecollector. :) Going overseas is always fun. :)

Btw, Paxton, Kath & Kim is a great show, i love it. :)

D_J_M
26th July 2005, 08:18 PM
Btw, Paxton, Kath & Kim is a great show, i love it.

Indeed...but mentioning it in the same sentence as desperate housewives is similar to blasphemy

mmurray
1st August 2005, 07:31 PM
If you want to use the telstra wifi in the Qantas Club or Macdonalds or elsewhere around various cities get a PhoneAway card from a Post Office

http://www.telstra.com.au/wirelesshotspots/pricing.htm

that brings the cost down to 20c a minute. Better than $5 on your credit card for 10 minutes. Also its charged by the second so you can get in and grab your email and quit.

Michael

PS. Does anyone know if you can plug in a Powerbook and recharge it in Economy class on Qantas ?