PDA

View Full Version : Ping! iPhone to iPhone messenger. Anyone tried it?

The Loyal
2nd October 2009, 12:26 PM
Ping! brings iPhone-to-iPhone messaging to the App Store | AppTapper (http://appstore.gearlive.com/apptapper/article/q309-ping-iphone-to-iphone-messaging/)

Looks like it's basically Blackberry Messenger for the iPhone platform. Could be very, very cool!

Has anyone tried it yet?

DeanCorp
2nd October 2009, 12:41 PM
Yep, been using it for a few days. Works really well and is good because many of my friends aren't on unlimited plans like me. So communication on the iPhone was relatively low but since we all use ping we can chat more and for free. There is another app called "whatsapp" which is meant to be a little better but I have yet to try it.

mitty
2nd October 2009, 12:41 PM
Does it have push notifications?

Problem with all these apps like Ping and Cahoots is that they are all separate little systems. Apple really should implement a version of ichat for the iphone so everyone is running off the same system.

tcn33
2nd October 2009, 01:27 PM
It's a buggy POS. Used it for ten minutes and deleted it.

Cahoots FTW.

Phillo
2nd October 2009, 01:42 PM
Does it have push notifications?

It sure does!

To be honest.... the push notifications are probably the best thing about the app.

I agree that the interface seems to be a bit buggy at the moment & it would be good to have something that integrates into exisiting IM frameworks.

mitty
2nd October 2009, 01:48 PM
I'm wishing with Cahoots there was a way to wipe out the history for a particular group that you create. It seems every time you go into it and select one of your groups that it reloads all the history of the "Chat". I'm wondering if there will be an update later.

mallo
2nd October 2009, 02:16 PM
I've been using it since monday, have maybe 15-20 friends also using it, i find it to be great, push seems to go through straight away, only downside to date is that you can't add a contact without sending them a message, but other than that, loveit

dawson1138
2nd October 2009, 04:36 PM
its a bit of fun. Its making my unlimited sms useless though

marc
2nd October 2009, 04:57 PM
It's a buggy POS. Used it for ten minutes and deleted it.
+1

Couldn't get it to work, so I trashed it. Not sure it'd replace Twitter/SMS for me.

wmyeoh
2nd October 2009, 04:58 PM
I think it's brilliant and much faster than AIM. Did have an issue with a few messages not being delivered though.

Beau
2nd October 2009, 06:00 PM
Bleh, buggy, crashy, timezones are out and I get duplicate messages. That and I have no iPhone using friends.

BeejiveIM's 7 day login timeout is fine for me.

marc
2nd October 2009, 07:10 PM
Didn't work for me. Deleted!

luztra
3rd October 2009, 04:09 PM
Been using it since Monday. It's not too bad but have been getting alot of duplicate messages and a lot or failed sent messages.

kristian
3rd October 2009, 04:13 PM
Works fine for my wife and me. It's staying on my iPhone for the time being.

mattmac
4th October 2009, 11:46 AM
I said a lot of sms' a month, mainly to a friend who also has an iphone, i assume this will save me a lot of $ :)

eggs
4th October 2009, 07:43 PM
I've been using it with the Mrs for the past few days, seems pretty good to me, she sometimes gets double messages, but i've not had any issues, also the push is very quick.

Steeley
4th October 2009, 08:17 PM
It's not free anymore :(

Thanks for sharing though, I'm going to try it out now.

Mil098
8th October 2009, 01:18 PM
works well.

I have about 10 friends on board and we all use it a lot.

Hoping for newer revisions though.

mil.

xtreme2k
8th October 2009, 10:06 PM
Not bad I got it while it was free now its 1.19

How does this work? Does it go thru 3G/GRPS data?

jusrus
12th October 2009, 11:39 AM
I've got 10 or so friends and we've been using it for a week or so.

Noticed so far :
- couple of messages not being sent
- time zone out
- if you get someones name wrong, it stays in the history and is impossible to delete
- duplicate messages being sent (up to 4)

It's a good proof of concept, but as most of us are on decent sized plans, its not really anything more than that.

I give it a week before it gets trashed.

My 2c.

griffmiester
12th October 2009, 01:08 PM
It's interesting, people are saying that Ping! is a Buggy POS.

It's worked fine on my iPhone 3GS, BUT when I tried installing it on my brother's iPhone 3G it wouldn't get past the "Registering" screen.

:/

Exocet
12th October 2009, 01:39 PM
People in my twitter feed keep talking about it and asking me what my username is. I don't understand the point of twitter friends keeping in touch by something like this, its exactly the same as Twitter DMs with Push.

At this point in time, its completely redundant for me.

wmyeoh
12th October 2009, 01:39 PM

It's worked fine on my iPhone 3GS, BUT when I tried installing it on my brother's iPhone 3G it wouldn't get past the "Registering" screen.

Not sure if this help, but is your brother's phone jailbroken? I had a similar issue with setting up Tweetie 2, until I found out that apparently some of the themes mess with the authorisation process.

Skywalker
12th October 2009, 09:16 PM

Not a heavy user but with myself and other half using it had no problems with it of consequence. It didn't seem to connect (whirring wheel) when installing it was because I had notifications off for the app (no problem on the Mrs one). Since I turned on notifications its been fine.

On the bus today it said couldn't send message which was due to not being able to get a clear signal I think. Once I held the phone near the window it went thro straight away.

For us this gives us "free" SMSing from our data pack rather than phone costs. We are on a minimum Telstra pack and have not been using anywhere near our $10 data allowance - do all downloads etc at home on Wi Fi.

Hope that helps

tintinaujapon
16th October 2009, 11:27 AM
I can't receive although what I send seems to go through.

EDIT: have to turn notifications on. Works well now.