PDA

View Full Version : Ibook G4/933 Not Support By Tiger ?

andywon
23rd July 2005, 07:28 PM
Hi

I'm thinking of buying my friend's 14" ibook G4/933 MHz with 640MB RAM (with Airport Extreme) and asked him to install OS X.4 Tiger for me. He told me that he failed to install and called APPLE. APPLE also said ibook G4/933 does support X.4 Tiger. Is that true ?

Andy

P.S. I presume he was using a retail version of Tiger.

LCGuy
23rd July 2005, 07:47 PM
What the heck???? All factory G4 systems are supported!

Danamania
23rd July 2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by andywon@Jul 23 2005, 07:28 PM
APPLE also said ibook G4/933 does support X.4 Tiger. Is that true ?

Andy
That's true - there might be a few reasons why tiger won't install, but hardware support isn't one of them. All the white iBooks will take tiger.

Can you get any info from your friend on what happened with the install failure? Using a generic tiger install? not using tiger disks from a more recent mac? enough room on the ibook's HD?

dana

Byrd
23rd July 2005, 08:53 PM
If you are using Apple System Restore CDs that came with another Mac - that's not an iBook - it probably won't work. Also, it's piracy - so unless there is a legit reason for all this, this thread might well be closed :)

JB

pipsqeek
23rd July 2005, 10:38 PM
What Byrd says is probably on the money. You can't use any installation discs that came with a machine, because they are usually only for that machine.

I am 100% sure that if you buy a retail version of Tiger (only $199 RRP - cheaper then Windows) then it will work.

I had it running on a G4 450MHz tower. So it should most definitely work on the iBook as it has a better video card to begin with.

pipsqeek :thumbup: