PDA

View Full Version : Windows Xp Adverts?

pixelperfect
23rd July 2005, 07:14 PM
Why am i subjected to watching a million brain-washing TV adverts promoting "Microsoft Windows XP".

I start watching funnyest home video, only to find "Microsoft Windows XP" is "Sponsoring" a video competition. Get Real.

My point is, it would be not that bad if they were attualy promoting a new product. - No.

They are Promoting software that was released four years ago, 2001!... oh wait... service pack 2 is new, basicly a massive security fix, no added features, unless you call a dodgy firewall a feature.

Also, if we are getting so much of these ad's i am only wondering how much M$ is spending in advertising in america... afterall we are only 5% of everything right...

My 5c worth,

-Stephen Rose

Paxton
23rd July 2005, 07:28 PM
Moved to Software General because the Orange Sofa is for NON Technical Topics Only. I understand you are new, but the rules are rules.

-Andrew

snax
23rd July 2005, 07:38 PM
I know what you mean. It's a bit frustrating to witness them flogging their dead horse - especially when they're advertising nothing more than the name. No new features, no innovation, just keeping the brand alive until the next mac os knock off is ready.

I'm seeing the 'start something' ads everywhere, too. They even bought a 'review' of windows xp in the Herald's Sunday Life magazine.

PS The next version of Windows is scheduled for "Late 2006" and will be called Windows Vista.

iain
23rd July 2005, 09:17 PM
Since when was discussing an advert a technical topic

dangelovich
23rd July 2005, 09:22 PM
They want to get Microsoft at the front of your mind...
It's that simple.

Like the iPod ads... everyone knows what an iPod ad is now, but it doesn't stop Apple from publishing their non-descript ads every now and then... It's just brand/product awareness.

I do find it somewhat ironic that Microsoft is teaming up with Australia's Stupidest Home Videos when they're video editing software is rubbish...

Wally
23rd July 2005, 09:50 PM
WHat apple havent done really is showed the OS on the ads its all about the design of the machine. Thats what tees me off

MS dont either

dangelovich
23rd July 2005, 10:00 PM
But what could they possibly show you about the mac itself in a 30 second ad that would convince you to buy one?
Ideally, they'd have a whole series of them - each for a particular feature of OS X etc... but that costs a lot of money to produce.

Brand awareness is cheaper, and must work better, else they wouldn't do it...
Sell the brand, not the product. That's what they all do now... unless you believe that Origin Energy's power is somehow better than TRUEnergy's power.... :D
It's how you sell products, which on the surface appear to be pretty much the same as your competitor's products.

Phillip
23rd July 2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by wally4000@Jul 23 2005, 09:50 PM
WHat apple havent done really is showed the OS on the ads its all about the design of the machine. Thats what tees me off

MS dont either
Is there a specific feature in Mac OS X that can be shown in 30 secs, that's going to blow me away, more than the design, and without making the ad bloated by creating the feeling Apple is desperate? If there is, I would love to know what it is.

At the moment, iPod is the big ad for Mac sales. More people know the iPod and it's driving more people to recognise the Apple Brand - ('oh, they make computers too!'). Right now, if they keep up pimping the iPod, they will see more Mac sales. And if they ever put ads on TV about Macs, I doubt it would be on a specific feature of Mac OS X.

pipsqeek
23rd July 2005, 11:04 PM
I find it hilarious that they advertise their OS that lets you do all these great things like play with music, artwork, etc... It's as if they have their own version of iLife.

Thing is, you can't really send an email unless you install Outlook express. You can't really make a proper document, with decent formatting... something that resembles a business document. You can't play with music, although you can play it in Windows media player.

There isn't much you can do with Windows, on its own.. when you take it out of the box. Its essentially just an OS, with a few really basic apps dating back to Windows 3.1

Plus, as it has been mentioned, they are just flogging a dead horse.

pipsqeek

Hobart
24th July 2005, 06:11 AM
there aren't really any xp ads spefically but whenever there is a computer add of some sort they usually remind us that they use windows xp. the only other time i can think of is when i'm downloading off of a site like fileplanet or something and while im wating there's an advertisement of windows movie maker on windows xp. but they really don't advertise over here.

you can create a dozen of things with just XP, lie, a montage of shit with MS paint! and the most basic of word documents with note pad! and..... thats it! :D

geektechnu
24th July 2005, 09:31 AM
It's as if they have their own version of iLife.
I think that particular add is selling the concept of "Windows compatible software".

i.e. requires $5000 of additional software - not included

pipsqeek
24th July 2005, 12:09 PM
ROFLOL, I actually find that amusing.

pipsqeek

On-Site-Tec
24th July 2005, 12:44 PM
I have seen a great apple advert before that advertises a little more than JUST the iPod. BUT it advertises iTunes Music Store so its not really appropriate for Australia just yet.

I hope i dont get in trouble for hosting this file on my server, someone tell me if i can and i will remove it. But i cant remember where i got it from now... I cant find it anywhere.

It is only an advert after all and i havent edited it, It can only promote Apple :P hehe

Heres the clip...

http://www.on-site-tec.com.au/apple-advert.mov (23mb)

LCGuy
24th July 2005, 03:20 PM
Its nice, but they could've changed it a bit...it still features the 3G iPod!

On-Site-Tec
24th July 2005, 03:23 PM
It is an older ad. Look at the number of songs the music store had back then compared to today hehe.

Id love to see that style of advert to advertise the iMac and Mac Mini as well as the PowerBook's and iBooks.

Matt.