PDA

View Full Version : iTunes App Store not as bad as some say

marc
30th September 2009, 05:38 PM
The iTunes App Store has copped a lot of bad press over the past 12 months, but is it really that bad? Some info is below (mostly developer-centric, but some applies to customers too).

The iTunes App Store is also usually considered to be restrictive and locked down. In reality, all mobile OS makers seem to be aiming for the same business model* and it looks likely that most platforms won't allow for installation of apps via non-app store methods**.

- PlayStation Store has the toughest approval process, not iTunes App Store.

- BlackBerry App World gives developers 80% of revenue, almost all the others give 70%, including the iTunes App Store.

- The BlackBerry App World developer sign up fee is USD$200 for 10 submissions (updates count as a submission). That's a lot more than the iTunes App Store's USD$99 year.

- Google Android Marketplace is a USD$25 one off sign up and Apps can be listed without approval from Google.

- iTunes App Store and PlayStation Store are the only two that support one device screen size (a HUGE plus when trying to create high quality apps).

More info here: iTunes App Store, Android Marketplace, Palm App Catalog comparison (http://bjango.com/articles/appstores/)

*With the exception of Google.

**It's likely that you'll be able to sign up as a dev and install source code for any app, if it's distributed publicly or install apps via "ad hoc" methods, just like you can on the iPhone.

Currawong
1st October 2009, 09:05 AM
Interesting. However, the one bad thing about the App Store is that it's very like trying to find software for Windows, that is, there's an load of poorly-executed apps out there, many full of advertising or trying to up-sell you to their "pro" versions. I'm actually GLAD that Apple check apps before they go into the store.

If Android use became widespread, I'm willing to bet an influx of dodgy software will see their store locked down.

mitty
1st October 2009, 10:05 AM
The main problem with the appstore is sorting the wheat from the chaff. In nearly all cases, it's word of mouth that tells you about the good stuff, because finding it yourself is virtually impossible and getting worse every day the more apps that go on there. We're obviously going to hit 100,000 apps soon, I'd wager maybe 2% are actually worthwhile.

The other issue is Apple's steadfast resolve to not allow certain types of apps in that improve core functionality, eg a Lockscreen type app. Let's face it, they are purely being stubborn because they can do no wrong. The teflon like attitude is just a tad annoying. Lockscreen is still the number one reason I jailbreak, and I'm not updating to 3.1 until it's been jailbroken (on the 3GS) for that very reason. 3.0.1 works fine at the moment.

marc
3rd October 2009, 04:22 PM
the one bad thing about the App Store is that it's very like trying to find software for Windows, that is, there's an load of poorly-executed apps out there, many full of advertising or trying to up-sell you to their "pro" versions.
Absolutely. You have to choose though... do you want to block lots of good apps and only allow things you want on the store (Sony's Playstation Store, Wiiware, Xbox Live Arcade), allow absolutely everything, including malware (Google Android Marketplace) or try to strike a balance (iTunes App Store, Palm's App Catalog and everyone else).

If Android use became widespread, I'm willing to bet an influx of dodgy software will see their store locked down.
Couldn't agree more.

It's nice to don a tie dye shirt, light up a doobie and pretend you love everyone equally, but Google are going to have to get their evil on if they don't want their store to be a complete brothel. And I imagine it will... all those apps we hate on the App Store will get ported or cloned the second there's money in it. Fart apps here we come.

The teflon like attitude is just a tad annoying. Lockscreen is still the number one reason I jailbreak, and I'm not updating to 3.1 until it's been jailbroken (on the 3GS) for that very reason.
I guess the issue is that Apple need to provide an API for everything developers (and users) might want. This means that they need to specifically support things like lock screen info, if that's what's needed.

So it's not really a matter of blocking or allowing, but a matter of spending the time to create new APIs. I think over time more will become possible.

gumby08
3rd October 2009, 06:01 PM
The main problem with the appstore is sorting the wheat from the chaff...

I don't have this problem. I just wait for MacTalk to tell me an app's worthwhile, and I happily fork out for it :p

bennyling
3rd October 2009, 06:12 PM
The main problem with the appstore is sorting the wheat from the chaff. In nearly all cases, it's word of mouth that tells you about the good stuff, because finding it yourself is virtually impossible and getting worse every day the more apps that go on there. We're obviously going to hit 100,000 apps soon, I'd wager maybe 2% are actually worthwhile.

The other issue is Apple's steadfast resolve to not allow certain types of apps in that improve core functionality, eg a Lockscreen type app. Let's face it, they are purely being stubborn because they can do no wrong. The teflon like attitude is just a tad annoying. Lockscreen is still the number one reason I jailbreak, and I'm not updating to 3.1 until it's been jailbroken (on the 3GS) for that very reason. 3.0.1 works fine at the moment.

1. iTunes App Store Genius goes a long way to solving your first problem. Like Genius for music, it does get things wrong occasionally, but progess is good.

2. Dev-team just released PwnageTool 3.1.3 today - works on 3GS as well as Touch 2009. Worth a look into, IMHO.

mitty
3rd October 2009, 06:21 PM
I don't have this problem. I just wait for MacTalk to tell me an app's worthwhile, and I happily fork out for it :p

Yep, Mactalk is almost exclusively where I find out about the cool apps. Remember everyone, listen to Can Touch This, invaluable.

At the moment the thing that's stopping me jailbreak using pwnagetool is having to resync all my stuff, just a pain. Hopefully redsn0w or this new "greenpoison" will be out shortly to avoid that.

marc
3rd October 2009, 06:43 PM
1. iTunes App Store Genius goes a long way to solving your first problem. Like Genius for music, it does get things wrong occasionally, but progess is good.
That's actually a great point. 100,000 apps might sound like a lot, but there's several million songs on iTunes. That might just mean finding good music is as hard as finding good apps will be.

Remember everyone, listen to Can Touch This, invaluable.
+1 :)