PDA

View Full Version : Bento 3 Released

stomick
30th September 2009, 09:34 AM
As noted by benr in this thread (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/19/74395-apple-website-down-again-tuesday.html), Bento 3 appeared on the US Apple Store site last night.

Filemaker has now caught up with the release (http://www.filemaker.com.au/products/bento/)...

stomick
30th September 2009, 01:33 PM
If you are looking at upgrading from Bento 1 or 2, note that you can get $25 immediate reduction if you buy direct from FileMaker. Haven't seen anything about the upgrade offer on the Apple Store, although there did look like a cash back scheme available via form on the US Apple Store site.
Sorry MacTalk, might not be able to use your link to buy this!

Jaste
30th September 2009, 06:00 PM
If you are looking at upgrading from Bento 1 or 2, note that you can get $25 immediate reduction if you buy direct from FileMaker. Haven't seen anything about the upgrade offer on the Apple Store, although there did look like a cash back scheme available via form on the US Apple Store site.
Sorry MacTalk, might not be able to use your link to buy this!

Thanks for the upgrade tip. Is that a digital download version only?

stomick
30th September 2009, 07:07 PM
Yes, download version only for the instant reduction.

However, the US Online Apple Store has directions on how to apply for a rebate after either purchase, boxed or downloaded - first by downloading a flyer which directs you to this web page (http://www.filemaker.com/rebate/). The flyer states that the offer is available in the US only, BUT the page linked above provides numerous country options, including Australia. Follow the Oz link and you get to fill in a rebate form.

Be warned that this may not be official (at least not yet) as it doesn't seem to be advertised on any of the local sites (Filemaker or Apple) - anyone want to be a guinea pig?

chaosboi
30th September 2009, 07:24 PM
I'm using DVDPedia for my media cataloguing, how does Bento compare?

Anyone know of an easy way to merge my DVDPedia into Bento?

It's also cheaper to purchase from the US store than the au store by almost $20, I guess there is no difference for getting the digital download from the US store.

Jaste
1st October 2009, 08:48 PM
It hasn't appeared on the Apple AU store yet. Wondering if they are trying to clear Bento 2 first.

chaosboi
1st October 2009, 08:54 PM
You can get it from the Australian filemaker site:
Database Software | FileMaker (http://www.filemaker.com.au/)

Vaempyr
1st October 2009, 09:44 PM
Wonder if it's worth the upgrade from Bento 2 ...

I use Bento as a case-law database; very basic, simple text / URL input only.

stomick
2nd October 2009, 12:36 PM
It hasn't appeared on the Apple AU store yet. Wondering if they are trying to clear Bento 2 first.

Try looking under the 'Just Added' tab in Mac Software. It has been there for a couple of days now...

SRG
2nd October 2009, 02:25 PM
I got direct from Filemaker as download with the discount, so far can't say with how I use (track DVD series, shares etc) I have seen a huge difference. I suspect the integration with iPhoto is the main thing but I don't use iPhoto so not really sure how that works.

Japester
2nd October 2009, 02:29 PM
...Anyone know of an easy way to merge my DVDPedia into Bento?...

You'll have to export to XLS or CSV, then import into Bento.

Japester
2nd October 2009, 02:29 PM
Wonder if it's worth the upgrade from Bento 2 ...

I use Bento as a case-law database; very basic, simple text / URL input only.

If you are using it for mostly text, I would say not. I wouldn't have upgraded from 1 to 2 if it hadn't been for the fact that the iPhone app only syncs with 2.

Japester
2nd October 2009, 02:32 PM
They've added one feature that made me decide to buy it: a media column in list view. This is how I set up my old FileMaker Pro databases. I had a CD and a DVD database. I had a list view with the cover of each in the far left for instant identification.

Add to that, the grid view (borrowed from iTunes) and it's a must-have upgrade for me. The discount is welcome too. They didn't offer an upgrade path for version 1 to 2.

Vaempyr
2nd October 2009, 04:02 PM
If you are using it for mostly text, I would say not. I wouldn't have upgraded from 1 to 2 if it hadn't been for the fact that the iPhone app only syncs with 2.
Cheers.

The iPhone app was my 1 --> 2 upgrade reason, too.

Jaste
6th October 2009, 07:30 PM
Try looking under the 'Just Added' tab in Mac Software. It has been there for a couple of days now...

Funny how using search on their site for "bento" or "bento 3" brings no results but if you scroll through the software list you can find it. Bit of a fail there!

ozerus
6th October 2009, 09:31 PM
could you use this to log your gym workouts? I hate all the iphone apps I've been able to use and I want something to make for my demands..

Could hte desktop and iphone Bento suit do that sort of thing?