PDA

View Full Version : EyeTV for iPhone released

benb
29th September 2009, 03:42 PM
G'Day!

Elgato have now released EyeTV for the iPhone/iPod Touch: iTunes Store (http://itunes.com/app/EyeTV)

They have also released EyeTV 3.2 which is needed to use the app and also includes Snow Leopard fixes.

What's new in this release?

Snow Leopard Compatibility
EyeTV 3.2 is fully compatible with Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Your EyeTV on your iPhone

Bug Fixes

Turbo.264 HD users can now access the Turbo custom options when exporting from EyeTV.
Fixed a crash when using the digital audio output.
Fixed missing commands in AppleScript dictionary.
Improved H.264 playback with certain channels.
Improved tuning for both DVB-S and DVB-S2 with EyeTV Sat and Terratec S7
Fix default sort order and improved channel assignments on several different channels.
Fix a problem where EyeTV Sat could not manually add DVB-S2 channels.
Reception improvements with the EyeTV DTT.
Improved localizations.

ourfoz
29th September 2009, 04:11 PM
Doesn't look like the live streaming will work over 3G. DAMN!

Beau
29th September 2009, 04:14 PM
Jailbreak and 3GUnrestrictor = live streaming over 3G. ;)

mitty
29th September 2009, 04:16 PM
Jailbreak and 3GUnrestrictor = live streaming over 3G. ;)

Plus a massive bill from your carrier if you go over your limit lol.

Lutze
29th September 2009, 04:27 PM
This looks like it might be the killer app for those who currently use IceTV.

bok
29th September 2009, 04:42 PM
Holy crap@!#$ Can't wait until I get home!

Devil rolla
29th September 2009, 05:01 PM
Instant buy, very cool. I convert all my stuff to apple tv format, but to watch a show I taped last night over wifi during the day /work.. That's very cool

kyte
29th September 2009, 05:02 PM
Love the idea, giving it a miss because I still can't get eyeTV and IceTV playing nicely beyond eyetv 3.0.3. Can NOT get a guide. At all.

bok
29th September 2009, 05:08 PM
Woot!

You can watch Live TV remotely! Your iPhone needs to be connected to wifi, but not necessarily the same network as your EyeTV ;)

Currently watching MASH on my iPhone via SSH Tunnel to home :D

Edit: Now watching the news. You know I had thought that all the iPhone app excitement had burnt out of me already, but hell no!

will
29th September 2009, 05:12 PM
just dl both! opened the phone app and zoom! Live TV across my wifi at home! No more books in the toilet for me!

I won't miss a beat!

cjuiz
29th September 2009, 05:31 PM
Very cool! Love the new iPhone app, it just took over IceTV's home screen spot.

bok
29th September 2009, 05:34 PM
Some screenshots:

http://tyrande.odynia.org/dump/eyetv/eyetv1.pnghttp://tyrande.odynia.org/dump/eyetv/eyetv2.pnghttp://tyrande.odynia.org/dump/eyetv/eyetv3.png

http://tyrande.odynia.org/dump/eyetv/eyetv4.png

(and all of this from work)

MrJesseRoss
29th September 2009, 05:41 PM
I was fairly unimpressed by the previous ability to stream recorded shows, it was a good idea but all that converting was just a pain to deal with. Being able to stream live TV is way cooler.

tcn33
29th September 2009, 05:42 PM
Holy shit that's awesome. Bought.

Phillo
29th September 2009, 05:50 PM
Fuck.... I think i am going to have to buy an eyetv now.

MrJesseRoss
29th September 2009, 06:10 PM
I just tried it. Had a bit of difficulty before realising that my firewall was on, but when I disabled it, EyeTV streaming worked perfectly.

I allowed EyeTV to have access through the firewall but it didn't want to work. EyeTV on the iPod could see my Macbook but couldn't connect. Any idea on how to make it work through the firewall?

ajbeardy
29th September 2009, 06:16 PM
I have the same problem. I had this with Chrono Sync Agent as well. There is a bug in SL they believe in that the authorise screen (firewall) you used to see disappears very quickly before you can hit the accept.

Sounds weird, but if you add it in manually it does not accept either...I deleted it from my firewall list but I have not got it working yet..I have just turned of the firewall as well at present.

rickyd
29th September 2009, 06:19 PM
Does anyone know why my iMac's firewall blocks my iPhone from connecting?

Ricky.

spuds_imac
29th September 2009, 06:25 PM
Have you got the latest version of EyeTv 3.2 (56111)

rickyd
29th September 2009, 06:28 PM
Have you got the latest version of EyeTv 3.2 (56111)

Yeah. And my firewall is set to allow EyeTV's incoming connections.

vargz
29th September 2009, 07:45 PM
Just tried it, works surprisingly well. There is a slight delay with live TV, which is to be expected given the time it takes to compress and stream the video. But first impressions are good. Setup was a no brainer, picture quality and ease of use are excellent. Nice innovation by elgato! :)

PS - has this made the IceTV app redundant (for those with eyeTV + iceTV account), considering the eyeTV app has schedules and recordings?

benb
29th September 2009, 07:49 PM
Love the idea, giving it a miss because I still can't get eyeTV and IceTV playing nicely beyond eyetv 3.0.3. Can NOT get a guide. At all.
I don't have IceTV but I found out in early August that the over the air DVB guide provided by all the free to air channels now goes out 7 days and is pretty good (I have not used my xmltv script for any channel since August 12th). I have been using 3.1.2 with no problems with the guide. Perhaps give the DVB EPG a try?

kyte
29th September 2009, 07:55 PM
I don't have IceTV but I found out in early August that the over the air DVB guide provided by all the free to air channels now goes out 7 days and is pretty good (I have not used my xmltv script for any channel since August 12th). I have been using 3.1.2 with no problems with the guide. Perhaps give the DVB EPG a try?

here comes the "yes but.." and its... "ive already paid for icetv til january 2011.."

However if the DVB guide has improved that much, ok, I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for the headsup. Might just have to do icetv on the PVR in the loungeroom

[edit] Falling over!! IceTV is working for me on 3.2!! yaaayayayaya!!

marc
29th September 2009, 09:09 PM
This looks damn cool. Buying!

[edit] Falling over!! IceTV is working for me on 3.2!! yaaayayayaya!!
GREAT to hear!!!

DaveOZ
29th September 2009, 09:20 PM
What an awesome app. Got it working here with ease. If this doesn't impress you Nokia owning mates nothing will!!

RustySpanner
29th September 2009, 09:29 PM
thats great but... does it let you use your ipod/iphone as a remote for when you want to watch tv on a proper screen?

ZeMule
29th September 2009, 09:37 PM
Anyone else having an issue seeing the guide remotely for each channel? I don't us icetv, just what is broadcast for the 7 day guide. But when I go to guide in the app it only has the shows for ABC1. Thoughts?

ajbeardy
29th September 2009, 10:29 PM
If you go to eyetv > preferences > iPhone you can setup an My EyeTV account that you can then access from anywhere as long as you have a wireless connection.

Chage
29th September 2009, 10:53 PM
I'm getting an error message telling me to update my EyeTV on the mac, even though I already have and it tells me I am at the latest version when checking for updates :(

wolfie
29th September 2009, 11:22 PM
i wish this could stream over 3g, comes in handy on train trips.
too bad.

bok
29th September 2009, 11:28 PM
What an awesome app. Got it working here with ease. If this doesn't impress you Nokia owning mates nothing will!!

Can you do this on your Blackberry? Oh, you can't? Your all-powerful email device doesn't care about TV? Bummer..

canonafficionado
30th September 2009, 12:05 AM
But it's TV! Does anyone even really watch it anymore, much less plan to watch any?

kyte
30th September 2009, 04:43 AM
But it's TV! Does anyone even really watch it anymore, much less plan to watch any?

yup :)

MrJesseRoss
30th September 2009, 06:46 AM

Considering this is an EyeTV app for people who own an EyeTV device and software, which lets you watch (yep, you guessed it) TV, I'd say yes, those who use EyeTV do watch TV.

ajbeardy
30th September 2009, 08:18 AM
I was able to record a TV show last night, have eye TV export to iPhone format and then from my iPhone this morning using the My Eye TV account view that recorded TV on the bus.

You can view recorded TV shows but you cannot stream live TV.

johnq
30th September 2009, 11:13 AM
I cannot get past the damn "you are plugged into a usb 1.1 port" error on my Mac Mini (that doesn't have usb 1.1 ports). I've been up and down the web and tried many of the "fixes" to no avail. I downloaded the 3.2 release in the hope that this bug would now be squashed. NOPE. Any bright ideas because I would love to be able to stream to my iPhone!

canonafficionado
30th September 2009, 01:51 PM
Considering this is an EyeTV app for people who own an EyeTV device and software, which lets you watch (yep, you guessed it) TV, I'd say yes, those who use EyeTV do watch TV.

Fair point! I think I was speaking only for my minority of one ;)

Ecto1
30th September 2009, 01:59 PM
I'll be interested to see if I was in Melbourne in a wifi spot if I could stream live tv from my eye tv to my location.

bok
30th September 2009, 02:47 PM
I'll be interested to see if I was in Melbourne in a wifi spot if I could stream live tv from my eye tv to my location.

Assuming the connection was good enough there would be no reason why not.

DaveOZ
30th September 2009, 03:35 PM
The quality will adjust to suit the speed of your connection. It's more likely that you upload speed at home will be the controlling factor.

I'm very impressed with this program. Well done Elgato!! Just wish they would add 3G live streaming, I have a fast connect and a huge datapack.

bok
30th September 2009, 03:51 PM
The quality will adjust to suit the speed of your connection. It's more likely that you upload speed at home will be the controlling factor.

According to the docs and the app itself you need a Turbo.264 HD attached to your EyeTV box before the adaptive streaming quality is enabled. You use the settings button in the top right to change the bitrate otherwise.

zorro116
30th September 2009, 05:40 PM
I know it states for use with eyetv 3.??.

Has anyone tried it with eyetv lite? (version 1.1). All I want it for is to watch tv.

nighteyes
30th September 2009, 07:39 PM
I cannot get past the damn "you are plugged into a usb 1.1 port" error on my Mac Mini (that doesn't have usb 1.1 ports). I've been up and down the web and tried many of the "fixes" to no avail. I downloaded the 3.2 release in the hope that this bug would now be squashed. NOPE. Any bright ideas because I would love to be able to stream to my iPhone!

I have been getting that on and off too. I restart the mini and if that didn't work I swapped the usb port the tuner was on.

laughingbird
1st October 2009, 04:58 PM
PS - has this made the IceTV app redundant (for those with eyeTV + iceTV account), considering the eyeTV app has schedules and recordings?

Good question, considering my iceTV subscription will be due for renewal in the next couple of months.

At first glance, it seems that the one iceTV feature missing from the EyeTV app is the ability to schedule the recording of a whole series instead of just an individual program. On iceTV you can set it to record either just the episode, or the whole series, and in the latter case it will then search the program guides and record episodes whenever they come on, even if they are not in the same time slot each week. It also includes the option to set it to only record first run episodes so that if they are running both a new series and repeats of an old series at the same time, you can choose to get only the new ones.

Anyone else spotted features that would cause one to stick with iceTV?

Lutze
1st October 2009, 06:21 PM
Good question, considering my iceTV subscription will be due for renewal in the next couple of months.

At first glance, it seems that the one iceTV feature missing from the EyeTV app is the ability to schedule the recording of a whole series instead of just an individual program. On iceTV you can set it to record either just the episode, or the whole series, and in the latter case it will then search the program guides and record episodes whenever they come on, even if they are not in the same time slot each week. It also includes the option to set it to only record first run episodes so that if they are running both a new series and repeats of an old series at the same time, you can choose to get only the new ones.

Anyone else spotted features that would cause one to stick with iceTV?

While I agree that the series link recording would be good to have - I find that I used icetv to record stuff at the last minute - so setting a series record can be done at any point.... in front of the machine.

As the dvb guide seems to be much better these days I will not be buying IceTV when it's due for renewal.

wolfie
1st October 2009, 08:10 PM
i cant seem to view the tv guide, it shows no data?
ive created a account on eyetv and is a green light in the preference pane, and i added a eyetv account on iphone, yet still cant view a tv guide?

wolfie
1st October 2009, 10:30 PM
ive done all i can and still cant find a way to view the tv guide:(

i get a timeout when i enter it on iphone

it says could not get guide data
bad request ( 400 )

laughingbird
2nd October 2009, 12:44 AM
As the dvb guide seems to be much better these days I will not be buying IceTV when it's due for renewal.

I'm hoping that proves to be true, because I agree, since I can set series recording at home, I don't need to be able to do it on the run.

However, when I turned of iceTV tonight and refreshed the dvb guide to see what it would look like, I immediately spotted an error. On channel 10 it showed that Masterchef would be on at 7:30 on Friday night. It should have shown the Simpsons; Masterchef was on on Wednesday night. Having not used it before, I don't know how common such errors are. Maybe it is a complete fluke that a single glance turned up an error, but given that scheduling of recordings relies on the accuracy of the program guide, it didn't fill me with confidence.

What have been other people's experiences with it?

Lutze
2nd October 2009, 12:55 AM
I'm hoping that proves to be true, because I agree, since I can set series recording at home, I don't need to be able to do it on the run.

However, when I turned of iceTV tonight and refreshed the dvb guide to see what it would look like, I immediately spotted an error. On channel 10 it showed that Masterchef would be on at 7:30 on Friday night. It should have shown the Simpsons; Masterchef was on on Wednesday night. Having not used it before, I don't know how common such errors are. Maybe it is a complete fluke that a single glance turned up an error, but given that scheduling of recordings relies on the accuracy of the program guide, it didn't fill me with confidence.

What have been other people's experiences with it?

I'd double check that - they are showing repeats on friday. NCIS is on again as well.

MrJesseRoss
2nd October 2009, 07:08 AM

Celebrity Masterchef is being repeated on Friday night. It's not an error, it's an updated listing.

laughingbird
2nd October 2009, 10:17 AM
Celebrity Masterchef is being repeated on Friday night. It's not an error, it's an updated listing.

If that's right, they are the only listing to have it. The Age Green Guide, ourguide.com.au, and Ice TV all show the Simpsons at that time. Guess i'll have to tune in tonight and see who's right.

UPDATE (a few hours later) Maybe the DVB were in fact the first up to date, because I see that the iceTV listing has now changed 9n line with it. If it proves to be the DVB that is vindicated here, I'll need a lot of persuading to keep my iceTV subscription.

2nd UPDATE: Yes, Masterchef it was. Not looking good for iceTV retaining this customer!

banjo
2nd October 2009, 04:11 PM
DVB is set by the channels themselves, so it's no wonder they were first to have it.

I ditched my IceTV subscription months ago when I discovered you can still get program info from the IceTV app using a lapsed subscription. That and the fact that clearly the TV stations have woken up to the fact that the way to really get rid of IceTV, instead of suing them, is to have their built-in guides work properly in the first place.

MrJesseRoss
2nd October 2009, 04:34 PM
If that's right, they are the only listing to have it. The Age Green Guide, ourguide.com.au, and Ice TV all show the Simpsons at that time. Guess i'll have to tune in tonight and see who's right.

UPDATE (a few hours later) Maybe the DVB were in fact the first up to date, because I see that the iceTV listing has now changed 9n line with it. If it proves to be the DVB that is vindicated here, I'll need a lot of persuading to keep my iceTV subscription.

I saw the ad last night. They're playing repeats. Not The Simpsons.

Of course the DVB is the first to have updated listings, it's provided by the networks themselves. IceTV and the other guides have to go off the information they're given.

dawson1138
2nd October 2009, 04:35 PM
yep, thats it. i was using my expired ice tv cause it still worked for just the guide on the app.
But now il just use this (now that i got it working)

banjo
3rd October 2009, 12:49 PM
Damn, the streaming TV only works on Core 2 Duo Macs, not Core Solos. What a waste :( Well, that's $6 down the drain.

Anthonyw
4th October 2009, 09:16 AM
Well you guys convinced me to pull the trigger on a Eye TV Diversity and boy was it worth it. It is awesome being able to watch TV on the iPhone and was simple to setup. It gives a crisp picture.

The app is easy to use and looks great too. I am loving it!

Devil rolla
5th October 2009, 07:09 AM
Stream eyetv over 3g ?

EyeTV Can Stream Live TV Over 3G With This Simple Trick | Apple iPhone App Reviews | iFones.com (http://tinyurl.com/ye776tg)

dawson1138
5th October 2009, 07:25 AM
ha, it works!!

Just tap the area around the ok button and wait for it

Ecto1
5th October 2009, 08:51 AM
Stream eyetv over 3g ?

It will eat your data limit quickly. I think it's good it's only over wifi.

bok
5th October 2009, 12:01 PM
Stream eyetv over 3g ?

EyeTV Can Stream Live TV Over 3G With This Simple Trick | Apple iPhone App Reviews | iFones.com (http://tinyurl.com/ye776tg)

Apple won't be happy. All easter eggs such as this need to be disclosed to Apple (they have a policy question on it). Smackdown imminent methinks!

-bok

dawson1138
5th October 2009, 01:22 PM
either way, its even more awsome than it allready was now.
Gives me a chance to use up alot of my 700 meg useage a month.

Anthonyw
5th October 2009, 03:13 PM
Thats awesome about working over 3g. I wont use it regularly, but would be great just for a quick check of sporting scores occasionally. Surely if you set the quality low enough( say at 200kbps) it wont chew through data too quickly (maybe 100Mb an hour?). I dont think i'll be upgrading this app anytime soon!

VALANDI
6th October 2009, 03:31 PM
hi guys some advice please...

i have an EyeTV Diversity (2 antenne) and i set it up last night on my mac mini...

i created a MyEyeTv account and a IceTV account and at home my iphone synced perfectly...

i organised recordings to start during the night and woke up today and were all there and wroked...

but i am t work now, all i want to do is access the app and select a show to record tonight since i wont be home... it wont connect to the macmini

any1 know what i can do?

dawson1138
6th October 2009, 03:59 PM
is the mac mini going to sleep?

i had my computer set to sleep after 15 minutes and then i could not use the app away from home.

i have now set it us so that just the screen goes to sleep and not the mac.

Dont know if thats any help

VALANDI
6th October 2009, 04:29 PM
ahhhhhhhhh

yes thats what it would be!... thanks for that mate!

so wait does this mena that the programs it receorded would not be complete becasue it went to sleep?

laughingbird
6th October 2009, 04:54 PM
any1 know what i can do?

It might be the sleep issue, or it might be that the EyeTV app is not able to reach your Mac from outside your home network. If it is the latter, you might be able to use the IceTV app instead. They work differently. The EyeTV app works by contacting your home computer through a Back-to-my-Mac type process, but it depends on having a compatible router and all being set up right. The IceTV one works the other way around. When you use the iPhone app to schedule a program to record it stores that request on the IceTV server, and, by default, your Mac will log into your IceTV account every hour and see if you've scheduled anything. Unless you've changed the default settings, your Mac should wake itself up every hour to do that.

So, it may be worth a try for your problem tonight. If you don't have the IceTV app, download it to your phone, and so long as you know your IceTV user name and password, you should be right.

dawson1138
7th October 2009, 07:39 AM
id say the recordings sound still happen when its asleep.

Before i had the app i would set a recording and let it go to sleep and it will have recorded still becouse it was allready set up on the computer.

Its just the access to the mac from the phone away from home that needs it to stay awake for.

Thats from my experienace

Brewster
9th October 2009, 08:27 AM

Have a look at this thread (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/14/56890-eye-tv-says-im-connected-1-1-hub-when-im-not.html) for the really strange "warming up the elgato stick" fix I found (if you haven't seen it already).

BowieNIN
17th October 2009, 09:13 PM
Eyetv app pulled from app store!!! Well it isn't there now and macrumors broke story on access via 3g only hours ago.... Coincedence???

And I was just gonna buy it.

stairy
18th October 2009, 06:24 PM
its still available as 1.0 on the australian itunes store

ourfoz
20th October 2009, 08:37 AM
1.0.1 is out in the Australian store. Who wants to test and see if the ability to stream over 3G is gone?

ajbeardy
20th October 2009, 08:49 AM
Loaded 1.0.1, no longer able to stream. Tested before update and after. Was no issue for me anyway.

dawson1138
20th October 2009, 11:56 AM
its a bit of a bummer, i think i might delete and put back on with the non-updated one at home so that i can still stream over 3g

evmorg
20th October 2009, 04:38 PM
My EyeTV stopped streaming a few days ago. Haven't tried a re-boot, though, so maybe I'll have to do that first. According to the iTunes page for the EyeTV app it should still stream live and pre-recorded TV.

macaholic
20th October 2009, 09:55 PM
Loaded 1.0.1, no longer able to stream. Tested before update and after. Was no issue for me anyway.

The loss of 3G streaming is huge.
Are there any real improvements in this latest version?

dawson1138
21st October 2009, 09:47 AM
i tried putting on the non-updated one back on, that worked fine but the 3g streaming was not working anyway, it would try and start but just say the station is not avalible at this stage.

Weather you update or not, it no longer works

bennyling
21st October 2009, 10:11 AM
The loss of 3G streaming is huge.
Are there any real improvements in this latest version?

Errr... that was never supposed to be a feature in the first place.

Prepare yourself for disappointment if you think this was a "selling point" of the EyeTV app.

dawson1138
21st October 2009, 10:16 AM
yeah. it was a nice little easter egg while it lasted...

macaholic
21st October 2009, 09:09 PM
Errr... that was never supposed to be a feature in the first place.

Prepare yourself for disappointment if you think this was a "selling point" of the EyeTV app.

It was the reason I bought the app.
I won't be updating - v1.0 still works over 3G.