PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista

gmask1
23rd July 2005, 02:06 AM
Windows Vista (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx)

Personally, it evokes an image of scenary that's a long, long way away...

kinda like the release :)

spilla
23rd July 2005, 02:29 AM
to me it doesn't really sound like a operating system name....also in the video of the name release...they're clapping? whats with that.....they're acting like its the release if the next Mac OS?

Al Aero
23rd July 2005, 07:23 AM
If you look at the picture on that link, the people are looking far off into the distance!!

as in its a long way away!!

and it will truly be another amazing o/s from Microsoft with various service packs that cause more trouble when installed..

al ;)

iSlayer
23rd July 2005, 10:28 AM
its worse then longhorn
do they pick names out of a hat or something

macjim23
23rd July 2005, 11:52 AM
oh dear... the Windows logo looks like it's got a 'spotlight' on it! top marks for originality.

LCGuy
23rd July 2005, 12:01 PM
oh crap.....

Ah well, its almost better than the name they were gonna use before...Windows eXPedition. :P

macdonald
23rd July 2005, 01:02 PM
Bare in mind that a definition of "vista" is: a mental view of a succession of remembered or anticipated events.

I'm sure the "anticipation" for MicroSofties will far exceed the payoff.

The video was very lame - let's all change our 10 gallon hat for a BB cap :wacko:

eyeLikeCarrots
24th July 2005, 09:10 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Utter, utter bollocks....

Theres already a product called Vista (a education content managenment system) and its utter shit... I can only assme that Vis-horn will follow it namesake....

dangelovich
24th July 2005, 09:31 PM
heheh...
Are you talking about WebCT Vista? That's really is a piece of crap...

I doubt that Windows Vista will make a dent in the universe...
I'd be surprised if many organizations even bother with an upgrade, given that they stripped out most of the "revolutionary" technology...

Graham
24th July 2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by LCGuy@Jul 23 2005, 12:01 PM
Ah well, its almost better than the name they were gonna use before...Windows eXPedition. :P
Whenever I read that name Gilligan's Island kept popping into my mind :)

the_OM
24th July 2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by dangelovich@Jul 24 2005, 09:31 PM
heheh...
Are you talking about WebCT Vista? That's really is a piece of crap...

I doubt that Windows Vista will make a dent in the universe...
I'd be surprised if many organizations even bother with an upgrade, given that they stripped out most of the "revolutionary" technology...
Your spot on there. I'd be excited about it if it was shipping with the graphics capabilities and the searching function, but as they are likely resigned to being included in service packs, it's not really that exciting.
Although, I am glad that security is Microsoft's first priority in this one.
But still, they will make a shitload of money off of it.

Phillip
25th July 2005, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by macjim23@Jul 23 2005, 11:52 AM
oh dear... the Windows logo looks like it's got a 'spotlight' on it! top marks for originality.
Oh dear. Looks like Apple copied the spotlight from Microsoft Office 2003's logo. Clicky (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/images/gallery/logos/web/officesystem2.jpg) :rolleyes:

pipsqeek
25th July 2005, 07:14 AM
Ah well, this type of thing has been going on for years, and will continue to do so.

We all know what the better OS is.

pipsqeek :thumbup:

mvjs
25th July 2005, 07:24 AM
The Name Windows Vista, sucks!

The whole audience must have been druged.

The Beta Release is coming August 3, pretty soon actually :)

iSlayer
25th July 2005, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by michaelvjsmyth@Jul 25 2005, 07:24 AM
The Beta Release is coming August 3, pretty soon actually :)
By August 3

Rumors suggest it may be before the end of July now

Buthidae
25th July 2005, 10:56 AM
ewww, Vista sounds like an old car, or gardening equipment.

It's just gunna be XP SP3 anyway... but you get to pay $499 for it! :)

The Fluffy Duck
25th July 2005, 11:09 AM
Just as long as long....er ....vista supporst dos game Ill be a happy little vegimite.

Is it just me or does windows vista scream windows me?
Never again let PC people complainabout mac 0S launches. That was auwfull.

theReasonableMan
25th July 2005, 11:21 AM
Here's a Windows Vista hint....Do NOT click the link at the bottom of the wikipedia entry on Windows Vista that reads..

"The Microsoft Windows Vista home page"

...I just did that at work and was mighty embarassed!

fallerg
25th July 2005, 11:22 AM
I thought Longhorn was a cool name (maybe abit too cool for Microsoft) but Vista is a blinds company :P! Oh well. The video was abit sad, people clapping for an operating system that is going to crash! WOO!

Everything on that video you can do with XP now, with abit of money, doesnt look like much new, hopefully its a pleasant surprise :ph34r:

iMick
25th July 2005, 11:29 AM
Names schmames.

They could call it "Windows Spyware Edition" and fools would still buy it.

FOOLS!!!

zillatron
25th July 2005, 11:30 AM
V=Viruses
I=Intrusions
S=Spyware
T=Trojans
A=Adware

Fits like a glove.

Z
:thumbup:

LCGuy
25th July 2005, 02:04 PM
Clever. :)

kit
2nd August 2005, 12:40 PM
I don't mind Vista at all. Longhorn was a codename (named for a mountain in Canada if I'm not mistaken).

People who say that many people won't upgrade are kidding themselves - people upgrade all the time, even if they don't know what's different.

Vista will sell at least a thousand times more copies than Tiger did.

It doesn't make it better, mind you. But wait until WinFS is released (apparently for XP too, incidentally) as an update.

mwot
2nd August 2005, 12:52 PM
Vista, eh? Looks like MS will finally be renaming the 'Alt-Ctrl-Del' function to 'asta-la-vista'.

Heh. :P

Disko
2nd August 2005, 12:54 PM
Yes, Vista will probably have some advantages and some very good features after SP1.

Keep in mind that on Vista's release, apple will have Leopard shipping, and on Vista SP1 will have MacOS X "Kitten" ready to compete. :P

marc
2nd August 2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Aug 2 2005, 12:54 PM
Keep in mind that on Vista's release, apple will have Leopard shipping, and on Vista SP1 will have MacOS X "Kitten" ready to compete. :P
Words of wisdom, and worth keeping in mind.

Apple have built themselves a really solid base (CoreStuff etc), and now everything will build on that. We're not going to see the results of that for a while...

Personally, I was actually hoping Longhorn would be good enough to keep Apple competitive. I think they'll push OS X forward no matter what, but I do think one or two worthy opponents wouldn't be a bad thing.

aaron_meredith
2nd August 2005, 03:35 PM
I have got back from a mates place who has the Beta Test of Vista, and i can say thank god i have Tiger!!!! I mean its only the Beta1, so theres heaps to go when working out everything but what what i have seen and played with its nothing speical.. more like a Dogs Breakfast!!!

spilla
2nd August 2005, 03:58 PM
i've played around with the previous beta (5043 i think it was)....and all i found that was different was a different graphic style and a few minor adjustments to the "Computer" dialog and the start menu.....so it was really just a waste of time playing around with it....