PDA

View Full Version : Navigation apps - what covers Tassie the best?

billenya
25th September 2009, 09:09 PM
Can any Tasmanian users suggest which of the navigation apps (Tom Tom, Sygic, yada yada...) seem to give the best (ie. relatively up to date, comprehensive) cover for Tassie?

Or do they generally use the same map info anyway?

Thanks!

Al Aero
25th September 2009, 09:44 PM
the mapping data is owned by Sensis (Telstra) so its much of a muchness..

Having said that, my Tomtom never let me down in Tassie

billenya
25th September 2009, 09:48 PM
ok, thanks. Thought that might be the case.

kyte
26th September 2009, 06:46 AM
ok, thanks. Thought that might be the case.

So then you need to decide which features are important to you. also read all the posts relating to the current three apps, because there's a lot of opinion about which is the best, depending on peoples' individual preferences and needs.

Good luck!

shiny
26th September 2009, 09:17 AM
Just an extra thing to think about when deciding which GPS app to get, Sygic is on sale for 59.99 at the moment and Dick Smiths have 15% off iTunes until October.

So you an get Sygic for $51.60! Sure it is not the prettiest or have the best interface, but at half the price it is a great deal, tested it out last night on a drive to the local Indian take away and it was spot on. :)

billenya
26th September 2009, 11:26 AM
Yeah, saw that DS itunes discount this morning... very tempting.

I've been following the main GPS apps for a while, mostly on here to see what people think of them, pros/cons etc and just reading reviews about features and all. Quite easy to confuse oneself!

I have no experience with GPSs at all, so any of them would be helpful for me!

I'm not that bothered by things like fixed speed cameras, as in Tassie we've got more mobile cameras anyway, so they're always changing location. Plus I'm careful about my driving, so I've never had a speeding ticket or even a warning before - and touch wood that continues...

I guess as long as it looks good and is clear, then that's the main thing. Does the forthcoming Tomtom cradle work with any of the GPS apps?... maybe a stupid question, but I see conflicting reports on here...

Thanks too for responding to me :)

kyte
26th September 2009, 01:49 PM
I guess as long as it looks good and is clear, then that's the main thing. Does the forthcoming Tomtom cradle work with any of the GPS apps?... maybe a stupid question, but I see conflicting reports on here...

Thanks too for responding to me :)

I use Sygic all the time (got refunds for Tomtom and Navigon although their dedicated devices are good). Sygic has the stuff that the others have, and then some. What it doesnt have is an iphone interface... but hey.. its a GPS.

Its been reliable for me *most* of the time, but I'd say its no more or less reliable than the others. It just has more features, and more flexibility.

re the cradle: many of us are hoping so. But we won't know until someone who owns all the apps is able to get one and try. In the meantime rumour has it that when its sold in Australia, it will be cradle plus app or forget it. So it might just be worth waiting to see what happens.