PDA

View Full Version : HD formating for use on Mac and PC

Owley
25th September 2009, 10:48 AM
I have a small 320 g HD that I wnt to use and share files on both my Mac and PC. Most of the files are music and pictures, and occasional word processing file. What formatting do I need to do to accomplish this?

O---O
<->

MissionMan
25th September 2009, 10:51 AM
You could get away with fat32 if the files sizes will be under 4GB. The alternative is to use NTFS and then buy a package like Paragon NTFS for your mac so you can write to NTFS. Its worth having in the long run because sooner or later you'll need to write NTFS anyway.

Chundermuffin
25th September 2009, 11:58 AM
If you do use FAT32, format the drive with the Mac, as it will get around the 32GB partition limit that modern Windows has. Use Disk Utility -> MS-DOS formatted.

KaighNyne
25th September 2009, 12:00 PM
You could get away with fat32 if the files sizes will be under 4GB. The alternative is to use NTFS and then buy a package like Paragon NTFS for your mac so you can write to NTFS. Its worth having in the long run because sooner or later you'll need to write NTFS anyway.

Why would you buy Paragon?

MacFUSE NTFS-3G is free.

rmac
25th September 2009, 12:01 PM
^ NTFS3g is unstable in Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard has NTFS support with a little hacking... really works! Guide: Enable native NTFS Read/Write in Snow Leopard - Mac Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=785376)

Remorhaz
25th September 2009, 02:50 PM
As an addition to the built in NTFS support in Snow Leopard - if you didn't feel comfortable with using the shell you might take a look at NTFS Mounter (http://ntfsmounter.com/)

~Coxy
25th September 2009, 04:34 PM
I still maintain there's no 100% guanarteed best solution for every person for this task.

Basic rule of thumb:
If you use an external hard disk and don't transfer large files, use FAT32.
If you use an external hard disk with many Macs and many PCs and do transfer large files, use NTFS 3G.
If you use an external hard disk with one Mac and many PCs and do transfer large files, use a Windows VM or Paragon.
If you use an external hard disk with many Macs and one PC and do transfer large files, use MacDrive.

glacierdave
25th September 2009, 04:41 PM
...or you could network the computers and share files that way...

Owley
25th September 2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks for everyone's input, I will try what is suggested here. Don't thing any file will be bigger then 4g so I will try the formatting suggested. Thanks, oh BTW I do have my hone Mac's and PC's networked together. This is to share files on a work computer, and they won'y allow me to do a remote access.

Thanks again

Cam
26th September 2009, 10:11 AM
Although, might not be the best solution in every case you can go the other way around too..

Format the drive in hfs+ and use macdrive on your windows computer. With macdrive you will be able to read every hfs mac formatted drive on your windows workstation.