PDA

View Full Version : iMacs with Blu-ray?

macrob69
25th September 2009, 09:39 AM
Did a quick search for this and couldn't find it - apologies if a repost

Report: Apple ready to release new iMacs with Blu-ray | Apple - CNET News (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10361120-37.html)

Brains
25th September 2009, 10:18 AM
Chances of that actually happening: nil. Apple are still holding out against the MPAA over the whole DRM thing.

Ecto1
25th September 2009, 11:20 AM
Why? What can blu-ray do that DVD can't?

NORMANDY
25th September 2009, 11:24 AM
as a Video producer I can officially say " YAWN"!!

BLU RAY is a dead on arrival format, it offers nothing that DVD and downloads don't already for video material. The licensing fees for Blu ray are still way to high, AND REPLICATION costs are off the planet, I Havant had one Client ask for any deliverable in Blu Ray format. Its just one big Sony stuff up, that I wont enter into.

The future is downloads just like music has moved away from little discs, so is it with video.

dotnet
25th September 2009, 11:45 AM
as a Video producer I can officially say " YAWN"!!

I'm so glad that many producers of movies I enjoy watching disagree with you.

Newsflash: Not *everybody* is watching movies on their iPod screens...

Cheers
Steffen.

NORMANDY
25th September 2009, 12:11 PM
I am glad those MULTI million dollar studios can afford it. The independent producer can not afford the massive amounts that Sony want for their crap.

in any case most people can not even tell the difference between blu ray and dvd, its all so ho hum, and no ones going to upgrade their huge libraries of DVD for BLU Ray when Blu Ray from DVD offers so very little.

Bluray is a niche product. It will never be mainstream. 1080p needs too damn big a screen. Period. It may not survive due to low demand and exhorbandant production costs. There is precious little advantage of HD over SD for the typical end user. Bluray ( or actually "high definition" ) was dreamt up for two reasons. 1. To do something about flattening DVD sales. Taking a cue from the also dead "music industry" - everyone will have to re-buy the same old movies again in order to "enjoy" them in Bluray. Plus, purchase a new player with a larger profit margin due to increased sale price to play them on. DVD players margins are slim. 2. Introduce a more sophisticated, tougher to crack DRM, capable of delivering an enhanced "after the sale" revenue stream, by denying even more of a customers Fair Use Rights.

grfxninja
25th September 2009, 01:55 PM
in any case most people can not even tell the difference between blu ray and dvd

I have to agree here with most Blue-Ray movies that I have seen, except "The Incredibles" (animated)

I watched this on DVD at home with the kids and thought it looked great. Then I saw it at a friends place on Blue-Ray when we were there for a BBQ and was absolutely blown away at the clarity/colour difference between the two. EDIT: Just thought I would mention that we both had the same model TV at the time…

This of course is the only example that I have to go on, but it was almost enough to sway me into going Blue-Ray. This was a fair while ago of course, and the money involved did hamper the decision somewhat, but it was very tempting at the time.

I have since seen other titles in both formats, and it really isn't enough to sway me anymore.

dotnet
25th September 2009, 03:17 PM
in any case most people can not even tell the difference between blu ray and dvd, its all so ho hum, and no ones going to upgrade their huge libraries of DVD for BLU Ray when Blu Ray from DVD offers so very little.

This is where our personal experiences obviously differ a lot. I'm not going to try to sway you, but speaking in absolutes like that you do come across a tad silly.

Cheers
Steffen.

NORMANDY
25th September 2009, 03:58 PM
most is not an absolute last time I looked...

in any case I am re-stating what has been surveyed time and time again against many demographics and countries, that MOST people (not all) can not tell the difference, between DVD and BLU Ray.

I go with there is not enough feature sets as there was from VHS to DVD, as there is from DVD to BLU Ray to sway most people away from DVD. DVD from VHS has massive improvements from picture quality, sound, interactive features, random access, and the format never degrading no matter how many times you played it. Blu Ray offers..... slightly better picture.. and ummm thats about it.... sorry not enough to sway people....

bartron
25th September 2009, 05:11 PM
As a Mac user there is no benefit to blue ray.

Larger storage? USB drives are 32gb+ now and portable hard drives in 100's of GB are faster to write to and more convenient (you don't need a blu-ray drive at the other end).

Movies?...HD and extra content via iTunes. Expect movie booklets in a similar vein to iTunes LP's. Play it on your TV via AppleTV. If Apple had their way you'd be legally ripping all your DVD's to iTunes just like we do with CD's

As an aside, I have a 1080p tv and I have it hooked up to an AppleTV. My DVD collection is being ripped to my imac and shared across and the quality is perfectly fine. I do have HD content and while the differences are there initially, once the show is running the definition get's lost (i.e. you don't notice it).

I don't see Apple going to blu-ray because it simply doesn't fit into the Apple eco system....there is no benefit to Apple and no benefit to consumers bar the few that want to watch their blu-ray on their computer (DRM laden format it is you can't rip it and if you were to send the signal elsewhere it would probably get downsampled anyway)

lazydesi
25th September 2009, 05:28 PM
From Whirlpool:

26", refined to 25.5" LED backlit display – Correct
Up to 12Gb RAM, new CPU, likely to be Apple-first – Correct
Minor shape changes – Slightly bigger then "minor" BUT not totally different
Up to 2Tb HDD – Correct
New mouse design, backlit keyboard – Correct
9th October release – So far thats the word, but it may change to any date in October yet, I WILL know tomorrow afternoon.
20" replaced with 21.5" – Correct

Also, not specifically iMac-related:
Blu-Ray available for EVERY Mac, requiring 10.6.2. – Incorrect, I said the Mac OS 10.6.2 Update will introduce support for Blu-Ray, I did not say every Mac will have a Blu-ray option.......

Apple WILL use "Clarksfield" CPU's in the new iMac's, Apple will use the 1.6 GHz model "Clarksfield" in the base model 21.5" iMac, and the 1.73 GHz "Clarksfield" in the base Model 25.5" iMac, AND they will also have a second 25.5" iMac which will make use of the EXTREME 2.0 GHz "Clarksfield" CPU.

bartron
25th September 2009, 06:11 PM
[U]
Apple WILL use "Clarksfield" CPU's in the new iMac's, Apple will use the 1.6 GHz model "Clarksfield" in the base model 21.5" iMac, and the 1.73 GHz "Clarksfield" in the base Model 25.5" iMac, AND they will also have a second 25.5" iMac which will make use of the EXTREME 2.0 GHz "Clarksfield" CPU.

Those sound like shitty speeds.....my eeepc is 1.6 (granted it's an Atom...but joe blow may not make the distinction)

edit:
found this
http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1084/slide2.jpg

and

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1084/slide5.jpg

from Intel Core i7 Goes Mobile - Core i7-920XM 'Clarksfield' CPU Review - Introducing the Clarksfield Mobile Processor - Legit Reviews (http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1084/1/)

Phunky
25th September 2009, 07:54 PM
I cant believe what im reading
No difference between dvd and blu ray? Are you frakkin serious? Dvd is a blocky 576x720 vs 1920x1080 for blu-ray. Its like going from vhs to dvd
I just bought the complete BSG and LOST collection on blu ray, and let me tell you, it is far superior to the dvd collections
Of course the difference will depend on how the film or tv show was originally shot. Series shot on HD film (like the two above) are stunning
In addition, BR discs are more durable than DVDs against scratches, which is a nice extra for collectors. No more worrying about how you handle your discs

And for those who say downloads are the future, well that may very well be true, but:
a. given Australia's current braodband network, downloading full HD content can take a significant amount of time and eat up a large chunk of your monthly allowance. Also, the market for online downloads would be dwarfed by the market for physical discs
b. itunes HD is only 720p, not 1080p. Also does it come with the special features like commentaries, etc? In other words theres no additional value for collectors

NORMANDY
25th September 2009, 08:43 PM

And for those who say downloads are the future, well that may very well be true, but:
a. given Australia's current braodband network, downloading full HD content can take a significant amount of time and eat up a large chunk of your monthly allowance. Also, the market for online downloads would be dwarfed by the market for physical discs
b. itunes HD is only 720p, not 1080p. Also does it come with the special features like commentaries, etc? In other words theres no additional value for collectors

and Australia matters how to marketing decisions in the USA or Japan ?

and yes downloads are supporting all those commentaries etc that are on standard DVD's still if you want all those... you buy a 20 dollar dvd.. not a 40 dollar BLU Ray for the same thing...

xbox offers 1080P downloads.. and don't care if your in Aussie land blowing your limits....

cosmichobo
25th September 2009, 08:43 PM
Until I actually looked into upgrading my CRT tv to an LCD - and thus looked at HD - I didn't realise just how complicated it was... ultimately I went with a non-HD LCD, because at the size I could buy, and the distance from the screen, there was no point buying HD.

For most people, who are setting their tv up in an average lounge room, they are not going to actually gain anything from HD. Thus Bluray is pointless in those cases.

Geoff3DMN
25th September 2009, 09:05 PM
DVD from VHS has massive improvements from picture quality, sound, interactive features, random access, and the format never degrading no matter how many times you played it. Blu Ray offers..... slightly better picture..

The difference in picture quality difference between VHS and DVD is similar in percentage terms to the difference between DVD and Full HD and the on screen difference in image is easily as obvious.

As for people not being able to 'see the difference' most people said the same thing when DVD first arrived.

People are used to looking at what they currently look at, if it gets worse they notice very quickly if it gets better... not so quickly.

But as HD and full HD become more commonly available people WILL start to notice the relatively poorer picture from Analog and SD and DVD, when that happens I fully expect HD to become the expected quality.

Now whether or not that HD is delivered via blue-ray is a different matter, but it's not justified to say that blue-ray will fail ONLY because people can't tell the difference.

If it fails (and that's not at all certain yet) it will be because of factors other than the image quality and/or people ability or inability to detect that.

This is a analogous sitution to BETA/VHS, BETA didn't fail because people couldn't see it was better (they could and people knew it was), it failed because VHS was more available, better marketed and more importantly CHEAPER.

Phunky
25th September 2009, 09:22 PM

and yes downloads are supporting all those commentaries etc that are on standard DVD's still if you want all those... you buy a 20 dollar dvd.. not a 40 dollar BLU Ray for the same thing...

xbox offers 1080P downloads.. and don't care if your in Aussie land blowing your limits....

No matter where you live, downloading a 50gb disc is no small thing. It would be faster to walk down to the local JB and pickup the disc to be watched right away

What I dont get is why people are trying to bag out blu-ray as a format? Is it because the almighty Jobs in all his wisdom has deemed that it not be allowed to enter the garden of eden that is the Apple product line?
If they do end up pickup up blu-ray, no doubt the fanbois would be rejoicing over the decision and using as an argument to support their pro-Apple view
I think some people should stop drinking the Apple kool-aid

NORMANDY
25th September 2009, 09:26 PM
you hid the nail on the head.....it will will fail as downloads are more convenient that going out and getting little discs. the same happened with music, the same with video. People said CD's wont ever be replaced with downloads... well they have. Sony set BLU Ray up to fail with silly DRM, out of this world licensing fees for film producers, and very high duplication costs, next to the just as robust and flexible, but cheap as chips dvd format.

The people that argue that BLU Ray will be domain, are the same people I heard in the 80s' saying Betamax will dominate, and in the 70's that Quadraphonic stereo will dominate over stereo. That are audiophiles and videophiles that are a small percentage of the market, every main stream survey of the current market indicates that growth is slow in many demographics for BLU Ray adoption, its not doing anything like the growth of DVD did, or ever will, its a old technology that arrived too little , too late, all wrapped up with Sony's dependance on locking in the market.

I agree HD will come, but not because people will want it.. it will just be standard in the end, just like 16:9 is now for most things. Its delivery format will be in downloads, and transmission by downlink (pay TV) and FRee to Air. Only the elite audio/video people will keep going on about this quaint BLU Ray format, much in the way many audio nuts go on today about Valve amps and Vinyl being so much better than CD's and AAC formats etc... :p

bartron
25th September 2009, 09:36 PM
What I dont get is why people are trying to bag out blu-ray as a format? Is it because the almighty Jobs in all his wisdom has deemed that it not be allowed to enter the garden of eden that is the Apple product line?

No....Blue-ray as a format is all about content control. If blu-ray was just hi-def video with the fancy javascript menus then no-one would care. Fact is it is laden with DRM measures to only let you do with the content what the studio dictates.

It's not just a 12cm disc with a lot of storage....it has a whole lot of baggage that goes with it that you have to pay Sony for the privilege of using

entropy
25th September 2009, 09:47 PM
From Whirlpool:

26", refined to 25.5" LED backlit display – Correct
Up to 12Gb RAM, new CPU, likely to be Apple-first – Correct
Minor shape changes – Slightly bigger then "minor" BUT not totally different
Up to 2Tb HDD – Correct
New mouse design, backlit keyboard – Correct
9th October release – So far thats the word, but it may change to any date in October yet, I WILL know tomorrow afternoon.
20" replaced with 21.5" – Correct

Also, not specifically iMac-related:
Blu-Ray available for EVERY Mac, requiring 10.6.2. – Incorrect, I said the Mac OS 10.6.2 Update will introduce support for Blu-Ray, I did not say every Mac will have a Blu-ray option.......

So did they mention any possibility of USB3? Clarksfield and USB3 and I might actually buy one. Couldn't give a toss about blu-ray.

NORMANDY
25th September 2009, 09:53 PM
No matter where you live, downloading a 50gb disc is no small thing. It would be faster to walk down to the local JB and pickup the disc to be watched right away

If they do end up pickup up blu-ray, no doubt the fanbois would be rejoicing over the decision and using as an argument to support their pro-Apple view
I think some people should stop drinking the Apple kool-aid

I have never thought the BLU Ray format was a good idea, way before Jobs even said his bag of hurt statement! I , and many other film producers were put off as it was a Sony proprietary format, that had too much $$$$ attached to it for licensing, DRM , and very high duplication costs that Sony wanted to control every aspect. Its like only they want one film company in the world to exist. They even control all the duplication factories!

As it is, you don't need 50GB to watch a 2 hour move in 1080P. the compression technologies that exist today, give you that resolution in a 3-4 GB file, in 2 years that will be 2GB etc etc... so 50GB becomes irrelevant.

Again people don't care about all this tech crap.....in the same way some people go on about OLD VINYL RECORDS.. they say ".. here take this vinyl record it sounds so much better than that itunes crap you are downloading".. most people woulnt dream of carting around 100 records all the time just so they could listen the music at the BEST perceived quality..... people put convenance above quality (in general.. some wont) , but the Majority of the market wants 1000's songs on their iphone to listen where ever they want, and not have to find little black discs to play their music, the same for movies.... and TV shows... and short media content... no one want to find a little disc some where that has that TV show, or media that they want to watch, they just want to access it like they do a file on their computer, and play on their BIG screen TV, iphone etc... and NOT be tied to a physical disc format! Disc based video and audio will not be the mainstream way people consume their media.. it isn't even now... how many people BT their TV shows? how many people watch segments on hulu or iview etc.... apple tv's etc? the market in that area is growing as fast as DVD did in the early 2000's, thus the market trends are all point to downloadable content to being the future of market sales.. not BLU Ray discs.

As for BLU Ray on Macs.. I coulnt care less for data storage its already out of date.... when you can buy 1TB of hard drive for 98 bucks, thats cheaper than buying 2 BLU Ray discs only holding 100GB's, yes BLU Ray will get cheaper, but so is Flash and hard drive media... backing up your hard drive these days is done to other hard drives not CD's and DVD's anymore.

I cant find any compelling reason to think or see from research why Blu Ray will be nothing but a niche format that will become just like the mini disc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiniDisc) UMD for the PSP, Memory stick DUO, and their other so called better audio disc format that also died, Sony has a long history of making big mistakes in proprietary formats, that while look better on paper, in reality don't work, or come too late, and become relegated to tech history very fast!

Ecto1
26th September 2009, 08:32 AM
No difference between dvd and blu ray? Are you frakkin serious? Dvd is a blocky 576x720 vs 1920x1080 for blu-ray.

True, but The only mac with that screen resolution are the iMac and the high end 15" and 17" MBP and the 24" cinema displays. All the other macs are no where near HD. So watching a blu-ray movie on a 13" or 15" MBP or mac mini is useless. It be like watching 10, all the shows are recorded in HD but due to 10 HD being no longer we have to watch downgraded HD tv.

KaighNyne
26th September 2009, 08:36 AM
What an interesting thread.

Some people in here clearly need to do some more research before making the comments they have.

Anyone who says Bluray (or, heck, even the dead HD-DVD format) aren't noticeably better, resolution-wise, than DVD clearly have never really looked at high-def media.

I fully agree with the comments about Bluray being DRM'd and not wanting to support it on that basis. Also, I don't personally own a tv, so it's not like I've got anything to watch movies on *besides* my computers.

Also, I don't believe in (necessarily) buying a movie before deciding whether it's any good. You wouldn't buy a CD that way, so why should I have to buy a movie that way?

There's a certain movie which I acquired, watched, loved a bunch, went to the theater several times with friends, bought the DVD, and the soundtrack, and the game.

Actually, there's a few movies I've watched in the theater and bought the DVD. If it's good enough, I want to show my support for it. Otherwise, why should I be out the money?

NORMANDY
26th September 2009, 09:49 AM
What an interesting thread.

Anyone who says Bluray (or, heck, even the dead HD-DVD format) aren't noticeably better, resolution-wise, than DVD clearly have never really looked at high-def media.
?

its the perceived difference.. and thats all that matters, and market research many times over says 3/4 of us cant tell... or dont care.... nuff said...

Lutze
26th September 2009, 10:00 AM
its the perceived difference.. and thats all that matters, and market research many times over says 3/4 of us cant tell... or dont care.... nuff said...

I'd agree with most of this.

You need a 50+ inch screen to see any real difference. 720p is fine for everything below that. This push for HD is going on because they want something to last until 3d tv comes in.

Another 5 years or so and we'll all be told to upgrade to that.

The BBC have already tested out live broadcasts of 3D tv, to a limited number of people. The feedback they got was extremely positive. See here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7286852.stm). And the UK part of Foxtel (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7788582.stm) is looking at this as well.

theforceunleashed
26th September 2009, 10:46 AM
Here is my 2cents worth....
I have a sony XRB40 - 1080P LCD TV, have the PS3 which I got free with it.
I have decent sound system, klipsch speakers, harman kardon amp.
Some of the blu ray disks I have, I also have on dvd. Example A Knights Tale. I can tell you now, I can see a major difference in how it looks, it is an amazing comparison... you can't compare them, the blu-ray is so so much better. One of the other best comparisons is the movie 300. It is simply amazing. So to say you can't see any difference... well I don't know what you've been watching. There are some blu-ray disks, like Rocky, Superman 1 & 2, which the transfer is ok, not fantastic, so you'd probably not notice any difference.
If you walk into any jb hi store, what is playing on their TVs? If you go to the dvd section, the amount of blu-ray disks have almost tripled.
And to show you how popular blu-ray is getting....

A recent report from the Digital Entertainment Group (DEG) shows that sales of Blu-ray titles during the first six months of the year are up 91% - to $407M - compared to the first half of 2008. The increase in title sales has also affected sales of Blu-ray players, which are up 25% from the same period last year to 2M units.

When DVD took over from VHS, it took a while for dvd to be come mainstream, so I'd expect blu-ray to be the same.

So....Thats my 2 cents worth :)

NORMANDY
26th September 2009, 11:20 AM
rather than this anecdotal of blu ray is good, as I say it is... or its not going anywhere cause I say it is...

lets back up some facts...

light reading for you all of why I take the position I have.

Blu-ray Is Killing Itself - Blu-ray players - Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/5256285/blu+ray-is-killing-itself)

Is Blu-ray destined to become a "videophile niche?" (http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/10/28/is-blu-ray-destined-to-become-a-videophile-niche/)

Surprise, Surprise: Blu-Ray Still Not Catching On | Techdirt (http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090623/1829175336.shtml)

Blu-ray Enthusiasts Alone Can't Save the Format - Dave's Download (usnews.com) (http://www.usnews.com/money/blogs/daves-download/2008/11/14/blu-ray-enthusiasts-alone-cant-save-the-format.html)

Blu-ray will be dead by 2012. Here's why... | News | TechRadar UK (http://www.techradar.com/news/video/blu-ray/blu-ray-will-be-dead-by-2012-here-s-why--464705)

Blu-Ray is dead in three years (http://deanesmay.com/2009/03/04/blu-ray-is-dead-in-three-years/)

Blu-ray stalls in the PC market - News - PC Authority (http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/154139,blu-ray-stalls-in-the-pc-market.aspx)

enjoy....

warren21
26th September 2009, 12:02 PM
Blu-ray may or may not muster some market share, but whatever the outcome it's days are numbered as are most physical formats of media. There has been a major shift from physical to downloadable and viewable content along with newspapers, magazines etc will 'all' eventually be digitized resulting in their physical counterpart obsolete. Companies seeking to reduce costs that want to remain competitive in future markets will be forced to change or will simply go out of business. Physical format only adds operational cost to the product and affects the end user. Digitized content costs virtually nothing to reproduce and distribute and with technology progressing at such a fast rate, quality and file sizes will not be an issue. As an example, my 72 year old father no longer buys physical music he downloads everything and listens to it all through iTunes or his ipod. Personally Blu-ray in my opinion won't have any real market longevity. You may or may not agree with me.

Phunky
26th September 2009, 02:41 PM
True, but The only mac with that screen resolution are the iMac and the high end 15" and 17" MBP and the 24" cinema displays. All the other macs are no where near HD. So watching a blu-ray movie on a 13" or 15" MBP or mac mini is useless. It be like watching 10, all the shows are recorded in HD but due to 10 HD being no longer we have to watch downgraded HD tv.

I agree with that, but many people use their mac minis as a HTPC, and having a BD player built in would be great rather than using a PS3 or something

Ecto1
26th September 2009, 10:22 PM
I agree with that, but many people use their mac minis as a HTPC, and having a BD player built in would be great rather than using a PS3 or something

I love blu-ray as a movie format and I'm all for it, but not as a every day drive. I have no doubt that blu-ray dose look good on a 1280 x 800 15" MBP screen, in fact most laptops screen resolutions are a tad better then your everyday 720p HD lcd screen TV. I just think that with digital stores like iTunes and steam, it wont be long till games are no longer sold as disks. Though the same can not be said about the quality of HD movie downloads.

I think blu-ray still has a good 5 years before downloaded HD movies take over.

KaighNyne
26th September 2009, 11:18 PM

<---SNIP--->

Dude, you do realize you're on an Australian message board talking to a mostly Australian user base, don't you?

So, when you get a little older and move out of your parents' house and actually see high-def video, maybe you won't be reliant on whatever it is you think you've heard.

NORMANDY
27th September 2009, 09:44 AM
Dude, you do realize you're on an Australian message board talking to a mostly Australian user base, don't you?

So, when you get a little older and move out of your parents' house and actually see high-def video, maybe you won't be reliant on whatever it is you think you've heard.

thanks for backing up everything you believe in with surveys, market research, and analysis of the tech MARKET. Amazing rebuttal .. LULZ! :D

iCameron
3rd October 2009, 09:19 PM
I can firmly say that I can see very little difference to Blu-Ray then a PROPERLY up-scaled DVD.

Sure, Blu-Ray is nice and great to have. but on my 1080p 52" Plasma, sitting about 2m away I see NO defects in any of the DVD's / downloaded content I watch. I simply cannot tell the difference when it is PROPERLY up-scaled. If it's not up-scaled at all? Very noticeable.

At the moment, I have a blu-ray player (PS3).. but see blu-ray as nothing more then a fractional better looking video, a luxury when Netflix has the title I want in blu-ray but nothing else.

That said, if I had a 65" plasma (*drools*) blu-ray would be a REQUIREMENT as you can only upscale so much. But at the moment the current up-scaling of my DVD's provides more then ample viewing experience.

El Guardo
3rd October 2009, 11:42 PM
For the record, The Gruber has stated he believes Blu-ray equipped iMacs to be arriving shortly (http://daringfireball.net/linked/2009/10/02/engadget-keyboards-mice). His last effort (http://daringfireball.net/2009/09/rock_and_roll_prelude) are the prediction game wasn't dead on accurate (http://www.businessinsider.com/gruber-goofs-2009-9) but he seems to have better information than most when he releases it.

tsuk
11th October 2009, 04:58 PM
Just do the math;

1920*1080=2073600pixels.

WOW. a *WHOLE* two megapixels. Are we frothing at the mouth yet...?

If you want a cinema experience, just go to a freaking cinema and stop wasting money on cheap Chinese LCD panels and overpriced discs (that you probably already have on DVD).

hengen
11th October 2009, 05:04 PM
Second last post- cant beat the cinema

dotnet
11th October 2009, 06:13 PM
Just do the math;

1920*1080=2073600pixels.

WOW. a *WHOLE* two megapixels. Are we frothing at the mouth yet...?

Hell yeah! Considering that DVD resolution is a measly 414720 pixels. Yes, 400 kilopixels ;)

If you want a cinema experience, just go to a freaking cinema and stop wasting money on cheap Chinese LCD panels and overpriced discs (that you probably already have on DVD).

Have you checked the price of movie tickets lately? And yes, they make you pay for every mate or family member you bring along. If you want to watch the movie again you have to pay all over! Also, have you wished for a movie at the cinema? Hint: they'll ignore you.

Cinema makes BluRay discs seem like a downright bargain. I used to love going to the cinema, I just can afford it more often than once a month anymore...

Cheers
Steffen.

Phunky
11th October 2009, 06:58 PM
I dont think cinemas show television series? Could be wrong tho...

Also, whilst a cinema screen is certainly (usually) larger than a home theatre setup, the quality/detail depends largely on how the 35mm film they use has been processed

From a personal POV, I would prefer to sit at home than in a cinema. Its just more confortable

Ecto1
11th October 2009, 07:02 PM

Ummm ok lets see, for me to go to say village cinema it will cost me $14.00 add an extra $10 for popcorn and a drink that's $24 all ready. Of course you have more then 2 people with you that's $14 a pop. A blu-ray movie is like $35-$40. You do the math

tsuk
12th October 2009, 03:11 PM
Cheapskates and dilettantes, the lot of you:)

Go and watch your measly two megapixel McScreens. You have no taste :)

(OMG - to bring up television in such a context, back to the feeding trough for you!!!)

gareth
8th December 2009, 12:18 AM
Are we any closer to seeing blu ray? next updates maybe ?

entropy
8th December 2009, 06:06 AM
Ummm ok lets see, for me to go to say village cinema it will cost me $14.00 add an extra $10 for popcorn and a drink that's $24 all ready. Of course you have more then 2 people with you that's $14 a pop. A blu-ray movie is like $35-$40. You do the math

I sort of understand what you are trying to say, but you haven't amortised the cost of the frigging huge LED wide screen TV, home theatre system and home theatre room into the equation.

You have also forgotten the 'magical sense of wonder' of going to the cinema that my eight year old reminded me of when he made me take him to "Aliens in the Attic." You just can't beat that experience. Honestly.

Ecto1
8th December 2009, 07:19 AM
I sort of understand what you are trying to say, but you haven't amortised the cost of the frigging huge LED wide screen TV, home theatre system and home theatre room into the equation.

You have also forgotten the 'magical sense of wonder' of going to the cinema that my eight year old reminded me of when he made me take him to "Aliens in the Attic."

It's true, to set up Blu-Ray it's not cheep. Going to the movies you have to pay $14.00 per person for each visit. Now say you and a friend go to the movies 4 times a month not including buying food that's $28 right there. over the 4 visits thats $110 a month over a year that's $1,344. You can have a basic Blu-ray set up for less then that.

woofy
8th December 2009, 04:50 PM
1344 would be an extremely crappy blue ray setup, ie cheap amp, cheap speakers etc, a decent LCD still costs more than that.

I've been looking into buying an HD LCD TV, and still cannot find any reason to move from our WS 76cm CRT. It still has better pics, DVD looks fine on it. For a massive 60" screen bluray and 1080p was necessary to get it back to what we had with 32" and 40" tvs.....seriously, why do you need a TV that big, our 76cm is already oversize in our large loungeroom.

Steeley
8th December 2009, 05:08 PM
Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I buy a Bluray player and it's not because of the small step-up in quality from DVD, it's because they come housed in blue cases. It's completely feral.

Yes that makes me silly, but I just can't stand ugly things in my house.

Edit: Oh, and I don't know anyone who goes to the movies 4 times a month. For most it'd probably average 1.5...pushing the cost of an average home theatre setup over quite a few years.

Meh 626
16th December 2009, 11:17 AM
Blu-ray comes to the iMac... via an Apogee HDMI-to-Mini DisplayPort adapter -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/15/blu-ray-comes-to-the-imac-via-an-apogee-hdmi-to-mini-displayp/)

Bluray for 27" iMac's with a HDMI to MiniDP adapter.

AnJellyCue
16th December 2009, 03:30 PM
Gee, lets talk about disappointing I was all hyped reading the title thinking that the mac has blu-ray support but NO I got a beautiful LG BE06 and I can't play it, I can not tell how how sad that makes me, I have to use my PC or boot camp :(

for the post that said they don't know anyone who goes to the movies 4 times a month, I go at least once a week, try to go twice if I have time

davidw89
17th December 2009, 09:06 AM
Prediction: End of 2010

grfxninja
17th December 2009, 10:00 AM
I'd be lucky to take my kids to the movies once a year, let alone once a week…
It costs far too much for 3 kids, the wife and myself :(

Mind you, when I do take them, I make sure they get the full experience so it does end up costing me a bomb :D
The way I look at it, because it's not something we do often, I will go all out to make sure they have a great time

AnJellyCue
17th December 2009, 02:08 PM
I'd be lucky to take my kids to the movies once a year, let alone once a week…
It costs far too much for 3 kids, the wife and myself :(

you got that right, it costs me $30.00 + for one person - get a ticket, pop corn and Drink and lollies

It is very expensive, I justify the cost easy, I love cinema, and there is good Eye Candy at the movies, The guys are good looking, but anyways I digress.

Apple should release a app or patch or whatever for native BluRay Support on the OSX platform

Japester
17th December 2009, 02:46 PM
...it costs me $30.00 + for one person - get a ticket, pop corn and Drink and lollies....

It costs me $20 because I only buy the ticket, but that's not why I'm turned off cinema. You have to go somewhere, deal with people, wait, often with people, and it costs $20. If it's something like Pixar's Up, then I consider it money thrown away because that's an automatic buy when it comes out on Blu-ray. I'd rather spend the $20 toward the Blu-ray.

On the other side of the equation, the alternative to cinema, I've got a kick-ass TV, sound system and DVD and Blu-ray capabilities that have totally spoiled my appetite for the theatre. My experience is in a lot of ways much better. I've got so much content that I'm behind, so a six-month wait for a particular release to come out on Blu-ray is acceptable to me.

Mychael
20th December 2009, 10:57 AM
We went from a good sized CRT TV to HD LCD. Noticed big difference. I reckon I can see a difference in quality between watching a SD TV channel and a HD one. Don't have a blu-ray player but DVD's look pretty good.
Love the cinema for screen size/sound.. Hate it for all the rude inconsiderate types you get there now that talk/text and generally spoil the experience.. If there is a movie I really want to see I'll go to Gold class.
ISP's will need to get a whole lot better/faster/cheaper before downloading becomes the main media format, be a long time before all of Australia gets a high speed network.

gareth
20th December 2009, 12:06 PM
i will buy a new imac when they have a blu ray superdrive HDMI port and USB 3.0