PDA

View Full Version : Porting Apps to Widgets?

The_Hawk
24th September 2009, 06:20 PM
The more I use my shiny new MBP, the more I want some of the apps I have on my iPhone as widgets. In most cases it's the usage things...
For example having iiQuota or Phone Usage as widgets showing me my mobile usage would be damn handy when using a tethered iPhone. Sure I can just hit hte button on the phone and check these things, but still would be nice if I could see it on the dashboard.

So does anyone know what it takes? I would be more than happy to pay a few $$ for the widgets I want (would be nice if Apple put them in the App store for ease of use) but I suppose it comes down to how hard it is for developers to port their hard work to what could be a much smaller audience.

Comment?

woody993
24th September 2009, 08:21 PM
Funny you should mention this, just today I was thinking about porting my app over to mac. Haven't decided whether a widget or an application, but I don't think that this idea is ideal. Apple already offers the widget download section on their website, and dashboard widgets are written in JavaScript not Objective-C.

Anthonyw
24th September 2009, 08:44 PM
Very curious of this too. I am using my own tax app at work quite a bit, and would be a bit easier to have it as a widget (or app, however i assume this would be a bit harder). From my initial reading i got the impression you would be re-writing it in another language, but didn't really find anything conclusive either way.

Hopefully someone with some experience writing widgets from here can chime in with some experience.

The_Hawk
24th September 2009, 09:17 PM
Hopefully someone with some experience writing widgets from here can chime in with some experience.

Thats what I'm hoping. In my case I'm hoping someone who ahs already worked out how to scrape/read the various carriers websites can [relatively] easily transfer that to a widget.

On a side note it would be a nice move on Apple's part if they moved all the widgets and all the other software downloads into iTunes. We all have it, it's easy to use and could catalog all those little apps/widgets/updates nicely for those of that want to keep them. Wishful thinking, but hey, I can dream ;)

woody993
24th September 2009, 10:55 PM
Dashboard uses WebKit so already there are limitations in what in can do, but not too many. The main restriction is that the UI elements are not similar. A UITableView can be found in almost every app, but nothing as simple exists for dashboard or mac.

I absolutely love Byline and wish there was a desktop version because I cannot find a good enough google reader client that doesn't use Air. I'll probably start writing my desktop version tonight, so I'll let you know how it goes, I won't be using Dashcode either.

marc
24th September 2009, 11:20 PM
Widgets can use Objective-C plugins, so that means not all of the code would need to be written from scratch (depending on how things needed to be set up). Still, they are quite different platforms, especially UI wise. A lot of time and code is UI code in modern apps, so getting something looking nice on a different platform can be a lot of work.

woody993
25th September 2009, 02:03 AM
I said I would post updates, so here's one. It took me a while to construct this simple UI and it's not completely finished. I was probably working on it for an hour, but doing other stuff in between.
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2646/screenshot20090925at120.png

southfreo
25th September 2009, 11:30 AM
I've been considering porting iiQuota to the Mac, mostly so I can use it myself :)

The code itself is structured heavily to MVC design MVC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model–view–controller) so the UI portion would need a alternate view (HTML renderer, rather than the current iPhone one)

The codebase now is fairly stable at V9.1, ideally would like to allow the new providers to be plug-ins so other people could add smaller ISP's themselves.

The_Hawk
27th September 2009, 07:39 PM
I've been considering porting iiQuota to the Mac, mostly so I can use it myself :)

The code itself is structured heavily to MVC design MVC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model%E2%80%93view%E2%80%93controller) so the UI portion would need a alternate view (HTML renderer, rather than the current iPhone one)

The codebase now is fairly stable at V9.1, ideally would like to allow the new providers to be plug-ins so other people could add smaller ISP's themselves.

YAY! Would love to see iiQuota as a widget :)