PDA

View Full Version : Appletalk-ipx-tcp/ip

The Fluffy Duck
21st July 2005, 10:20 PM
This is just a random question.

I have a question as I know nothing about the appletalk proticol as I have only recently entered the mac domain. Is the Appletalk protocol the mac equivilant to IPX? Whats the diffrence between the protocols? The positives the negitives, is it still being used today or is it dying a slow painfull death.?

Thanks

Devski
21st July 2005, 10:36 PM
AppleTalk is zero configuration. You plug it in and it works.

A lot of administrators don't like it because it's extremely 'chatty', and devices constantly broadcast information about itself. What many Windows admins don't understand is that the packet sizes are very very small, so it doesn't really slow down the network despite it's chattiness.

Is it used any more?
For the most part, the only area it is still used is printing, and that should be very rare.
It has been heavily depricated since the introduction of OS X.

There are a number of issues with AppleTalk and modern day switches that have auto spanning tree detection. They don't play well together and you will see AppleTalk devices come and go as they please. If you are using modern switches then you should turn spanning tree off.

Like most things, if you don't need it, don't use it.
Certainly don't bother rolling it out any further and don't be surprised if it disappears from OS X all together in the future.

On the plus side, it's really easy to configure and just works in most circumstances.