PDA

View Full Version : So... Quicktime X....

mechcon
22nd September 2009, 09:30 PM
Okay.. it's been almost a month since we had Snow Leopard right folks? give or take.. and I have a few questions/queries regarding this new program..

a) I was wondering if there's a way to go File Save as on movies from a website i.e. Safari. There doesn't seem to be a way to do it like my copy (legit mind you) of QuickTime Pro...

b) No preferences? Wait wut?

c) do you miss being able to autoplay a movie from double clicking on it? put this into Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGPlayMovieOnOpen 1

Okay.. that's all for now :P

woody993
22nd September 2009, 09:41 PM
a) I was wondering if there's a way to go File Save as on movies from a website i.e. Safari. There doesn't seem to be a way to do it like my copy (legit mind you) of QuickTime Pro...

Not from Safari, but if you use Window>Activity and copy the file's url and then goto QuickTime X and choose Open Url... once it loads choose Save As...
It's not the easiest way, but it works

iFanboy
22nd September 2009, 09:45 PM
Do you know what QuickTime Pro is the best for. Chopping up video quickly. Take a file, crop, copy and paste in a new window. X has YouTube upload. Video Chopping + QuickTime YouTube upload= win. Get to it Apple

marc
22nd September 2009, 09:51 PM
Do you know what QuickTime Pro is the best for. Chopping up video quickly.
Yeah. Was great for that. Luckily QuickTime Player 7 is still available in Applications/Utilities/.

KaighNyne
23rd September 2009, 09:11 AM
Personally, I much prefer VideoLAN Client (a.k.a. "VLC") to QuickTime Player.

decryption
23rd September 2009, 09:15 AM
Yeah. Was great for that. Luckily QuickTime Player 7 is still available in Applications/Utilities/.

Quicktime X still does that fine - in fact, it's better with the trim options. The only problem is the limited export feature. I want to export using all my QuickTime components, not gimped presets!

banjo
23rd September 2009, 09:22 AM
Do you know what QuickTime Pro is the best for. Chopping up video quickly. Take a file, crop, copy and paste in a new window. X has YouTube upload. Video Chopping + QuickTime YouTube upload= win. Get to it Apple

You can easily crop files in Quicktime X by going to Edit > Trim and then dragging the edges of the yellow bar. If you need to get more than one section out of the same move, trim the first bit, save as, then undo and trim to the second bit.

[edit] I have a feeling that it would possible to add presets by playing around in the package contents because the information is in there preference files, but I personally don't have a need for it. The lack of options is really disappointing, but I suppose they knew this by keeping Quicktime 7 available.

bennettnz
23rd September 2009, 10:33 AM
I love the new quicktime especially the trimming feature, its ridiculously simple and fast.

marc
23rd September 2009, 11:21 AM
Sure, X trims, but it doesn't copy, paste, merge, crop, add black areas, merge audio over the top of video etc. I actually used QuickTime Pro as a video editor for a lot of small things. Was good!

simonm
29th December 2009, 08:37 PM
I get the feeling Apple will slowly add the lost features of QuickTime 7 to QT X. They've completely rewritten QT X from the ground up and so possibly didn't have time to code all of the features of QT 7 in time for a SL release. But then, knowing Apple, they may also have something else up their sleeves. The editing features of QT 7 sure were handy.

Now if only they could do the same to iTunes, which is bloated and slow and full of legacy code. Not counting my chickens...how long did it take for us to get a Cocoa Finder!! :(

marc
29th December 2009, 08:50 PM
simonm: From what i've heard, you're on the money there... QuickTime X should have most of the features QuickTime 7 has and iTunes X is rumoured to be a cocoa rewrite.