PDA

View Full Version : Apple Powerbook EDU offer ?

silverduck
2nd July 2004, 09:47 AM
Hi,

I am just about to treat myself to a spanking new 12 Powerbook :D

I have been browsing a few Mac forums, and some people over in the US advises people that are going for a new powerbook to wait until start of semester when apple comes with a "education sale" with half price on iPods if u buy a new powerbook etc...

I was just wondering if any of you guys know if apple usually has something like this here in Australia ?

Is it worth it to wait a few weeks, or can I safely go oand grab one tomorrow and not be crying in two weeks over the half price iPod i missed out on....? :)

Thanks

Silverduck

sillydog701
2nd July 2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by silverduck@Jul 2 2004, 09:47 AM
I have been browsing a few Mac forums, and some people over in the US advises people that are going for a new powerbook to wait until start of semester when apple comes with a "education sale" with half price on iPods if u buy a new powerbook etc...

I was just wondering if any of you guys know if apple usually has something like this here in Australia ?
Well,
I have no idea if Apple Australia will have similar programme, but according to the economics (or accounting) I learnt in the past, even with the same amount, the later you pay, the better you are off. Something called "time value of money" I guess, can't remember clearly.

Recently, Apple has dropped prices on a few items. The price for PowerBook and iBook (for Edu) were dropped last month, later, they dropped the price tag of AirPort Extreme, and the AppleCare Protection Plan.

OziMac
2nd July 2004, 10:17 AM
Hmm, it's not really a 'sale' as it is getting rid of certain models. This time last year I think it was 'buy any Powerbook / iMac / Powermac and any iPod and save $300'. But at the start of this year it was 'buy the 14" iBook, 12" combo Powerbook, 15" combo Powerbook, 1.6GHz or 1.8GHz single G5 and a 20GB iPod and save $200'. I'm not 100% on the details, but I'm pretty sure that the later one was far less attractive.

So the deals are usually there, but they're not necessarily as great as they could be.

Ronin+Scissors
2nd July 2004, 11:23 AM
Heh, I still have a flyer from the Feb/Mar 'Back to Uni' offers.

12" iBook 800MHz 512MB 30GB APE + 20GB iPod: $2368 vs $2618 retail.

15" PowerBook 1GHz 512MB 80GB combo APE + 20GB iPod: $3758 vs 4228 retail.

15" iMac 1GHz 512MB 80GB combo + 20GB iPod: $2438 vs $2828 retail.

G5 PowerMac 1x1.6GHz 512MB 80GB super +20GB iPod: $3208 vs 3638 retail.

I was going to get the iBook deal but found out you couldn't CTO anything other than RAM, I would have been stuck with the 30GB HD and no internal bluetooth, so I just waited for the new revision which was faster and incidentally cheaper.

-Ronin with Scissors

EDIT: Note: those prices are Edu vs retail, so the savings aren't quite as marked as they appear.

sillydog701
9th July 2004, 11:22 PM
Cram. And jam. promotion for students

From 7th July 2004 until 25th Sept 2004, purchase an iPod and any PowerBook or iBook (excluding iPod mini and 12-inch iBook with CD-ROM), and you will get $200 rebate (USD).

http://www.apple.com/education/promos/bts/index.html

I have no idea if it will be in New Zealand and Australia.

Husq
10th July 2004, 10:06 AM
Most apple stores give 10% off all Apple products for students. From my observations, Apple tend to get generous to students, uni's and corporates at the end of their product lines.

Ronin+Scissors
11th July 2004, 12:24 PM
It seems we have a rather lacklustre version of the "Cram and Jam" promotion now. "Work to Your Own Beat" is a $150 discount for students when buying an iPod and an iBook or PowerBook.

http://www.apple.com.au/promo/worktoyourownbeat/

-Ronin with Scissors

EDIT: It is a rebate rather than a discount, even lamer.

OziMac
11th July 2004, 08:22 PM
Yeah, bit deceptive there isn't it Ronin, it's not a discount at all...

The EDU deals have always been rebates, and I'm sure it's the same in the US...

Still, not too shabby... if I hadn't had already bought my Powerbook (and if I was buying a non-Mini iPod) it would certainly help... not as good as $300 last year, but still something ;)

Hope it helps someone who's just buying a batch of Apples... let us know how it goes if anyone does...

sillydog701
12th July 2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Ronin+Scissors@Jul 11 2004, 12:24 PM
It seems we have a rather lacklustre version of the "Cram and Jam" promotion now. "Work to Your Own Beat" is a $150 discount for students when buying an iPod and an iBook or PowerBook.
Okay, less discount. But this deal is for non-educational as well.