PDA

View Full Version : tiger and riaa

Hobart
2nd July 2004, 08:36 AM
acouple things i would like to ask here, does the riaa monitor iCaht like they do aim ect. and whoever has looked at os 10.4 tiger why is there a itunes remote that seems to be a pointless little thing to help use up ram and desktop space

decryption
2nd July 2004, 08:56 AM
Ummm, the RIAA monitors AIM?

Disko
2nd July 2004, 09:15 AM
It's an iTunes controller, for those of us who don't want to have itunes on screen all the time so we can skip tracks. - not that it is using much memory, all it is is a small html page.

And the day i find out about the RIAA monitoring my Instant Messaging is the day i take them to court for *something* along the lines of privacy invasion. We're in Australia, the RIAA have no juristiction here.

Hobart
2nd July 2004, 10:45 AM
Ummm, the RIAA monitors AIM? apperantly they did a while ago.

It's an iTunes controller, for those of us who don't want to have itunes on screen all the time so we can skip tracks. - not that it is using much memory, all it is is a small html page.
oh ok because i wasent to clear on that. thanks

finally im just intrested of what what you think of voice over like will it "miss read" your command and just be shitty or what

the_argon
2nd July 2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Jul 2 2004, 08:45 AM
We're in Australia, the RIAA have no juristiction here.
pfft, yeah. Until Johnny signs off on the free trade agreement. :angry:

/me grumbles about our totally useless government.

elvis
2nd July 2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by the_argon+Jul 2 2004, 06:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (the_argon @ Jul 2 2004, 06:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Disko@Jul 2 2004, 08:45 AM
We&#39;re in Australia, the RIAA have no juristiction here.
pfft, yeah. Until Johnny signs off on the free trade agreement. :angry:

/me grumbles about our totally useless government. [/b][/quote]
Johnny is so far up Dubya&#39;s sphincter he&#39;ll soon be nothing but a pair of shoes hanging out the back end. Here&#39;s hoping little Johnnie gets the boot before he can sign off on even more stupid ideas that will destroy perfectly good technology.

Hobart
3rd July 2004, 05:29 AM
excuse me for not being knowlagable but who is this jhonny
also could anyone tell me what langhorn is?

Ronin+Scissors
3rd July 2004, 08:05 AM
Johnny is our esteemed (LOL&#33;) prime minister, John Howard. Longhorn is the next Microsoft Windows release which is due in 2006 (?).

elvis
3rd July 2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Ronin+Scissors@Jul 3 2004, 08:05 AM
Johnny is our esteemed (LOL&#33;) prime minister, John Howard. Longhorn is the next Microsoft Windows release which is due in 2006 (?).
Longhorn has had unofficial release dates stipulated anywhere from 2006 to 2008 and beyond. Microsoft are giving it the "when it&#39;s done" treatment. Longhorn will be Microsoft&#39;s attempt at making a "Mac OS X Killer" OS. Although as Apple have already cheekily pointed out, they&#39;re already a few years too late as OSX 10.3 is beyond anything Microsoft have promised in Longhorn.

What&#39;s more is Longhorn will be the first of the TCPA-aware operating systems.

More info on the TCPA here: http://www.againsttcpa.com/

TCPA will be a make or break for Microsoft. Either it will guarantee their stonghold on desktop PC uers, or people will leave in droves when they realise they can&#39;t do anything that Microsoft doesn&#39;t want to let them on their own home PC. I&#39;m hoping that by 2006 people will be more aware of MacOSX, as well as other alternative OSes and realise exactly what is going on.

Anyways... sliding off topic here....

LCGuy
3rd July 2004, 10:46 PM
By 2006, i&#39;ll hopefully either:

a) Still be on Linux

B) Have, or be getting that PowerBook i&#39;ve been dreaming about

But yeah, Longhorn is Mordor&#036;oft&#39;s Copland. It was originally planned to ship in 2002 and now they reckon it&#39;ll be 2008 or so, rofl.

Hobart
4th July 2004, 01:05 AM
ok thanks

Currawong
4th July 2004, 08:38 AM
I haven&#39;t heard anything about the RIAA monitoring instant messaging systems. As far as I know, their entire interest was in file sharing networks. AIM is not a file sharing network.

It would help if you had a url link to such information. Vague suggestions of things can cause trouble. Someone almost started something unfounded about what Macs Tiger wouldn&#39;t support, for example.

Hobart
4th July 2004, 10:27 AM
no but shortly after 9/11 the american goterment were monitoring aim and such
i ment american govt. from the beggining sorry :P

Radar
4th July 2004, 11:20 AM
The governement monitor everything under a system called Echelon. Things like email, IM&#39;s, phone calls and faxes are all, and I do mean all, automatically scanned by a series of computers for keywords. Things like &#39;Bomb&#39; &#39;President&#39; and &#39;Praise Allah&#39; or &#39;comerade&#39; would trigger it off.

The thing is, they can&#39;t pass this information on to the RIAA because they picked up the keywords &#39;MP3&#39; &#39;CD&#39; &#39;Copy&#39; and &#39;Britney Spears&#39; in an AIM convo. It would just get ignored by the scanning computers, otherwise there would be alot, lot more convictions, wouldn&#39;t there?

Quamen
4th July 2004, 03:32 PM
not to mention that it would probably would cause a lot of people to jump up and down complaining about invasion of privacy. And if they gave stuff to the RIAA then who&#39;s to say they won&#39;t be giving away trade secrets they heard over the phone to other business who fling the right money/political endoresments their way.

It would just be a whole big brother 1984 thing happening.

pipsqeek
4th July 2004, 10:34 PM
I might be leaving this country because of its Govt.

The governement monitor everything under a system called Echelon. Things like email, IM&#39;s, phone calls and faxes are all, and I do mean all, automatically scanned by a series of computers for keywords. Things like &#39;Bomb&#39; &#39;President&#39; and &#39;Praise Allah&#39; or &#39;comerade&#39; would trigger it off.

Sounds all Commi to me. Free country? They can watch a guy get his head blown off but Janet flashes her tits and they all go apeshit. Sorry to offend. But what kind of country is this?

Parts of it still prohibit gays...just let them be.

I can go on, I lived there long enough to justify...RANT RANT RANT&#33;&#33;&#33;

But I won&#39;t...might get me into trouble..the truth always hurts.

Steve

Lasha
7th July 2004, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by Radar@Jul 4 2004, 11:20 AM

The thing is, they can&#39;t pass this information on to the RIAA because they picked up the keywords &#39;MP3&#39; &#39;CD&#39; &#39;Copy&#39; and &#39;Britney Spears&#39; in an AIM convo. It would just get ignored by the scanning computers, otherwise there would be alot, lot more convictions, wouldn&#39;t there?
That deal with the computers monitoring phones calls, faxes, and email is no longer in existance. That used to happen about 20 to 30 years ago because of the Vietnam war and all that stuff...I strongly doubt it&#39;s in use today.

Hobart
7th July 2004, 11:06 AM
Sounds all Commi to me. Free country? They can watch a guy get his head blown off but Janet flashes her tits and they all go apeshit. Sorry to offend. But what kind of country is this?

i would just like to state that i strongly agree with you and thank you for pointing that out.

Radar
7th July 2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Lasha@Jul 7 2004, 05:49 AM

That deal with the computers monitoring phones calls, faxes, and email is no longer in existance. That used to happen about 20 to 30 years ago because of the Vietnam war and all that stuff...I strongly doubt it&#39;s in use today.

Not true. This is going on today, has been for years, and will continue for years, especially with the now greater threat of terrorism. Take that big US base in the middle of the Aus desert, near Alice Springs. That is an Echelon listening station. For example, witht he right equipment, which is quite cheap, you can grab emails, faxes and listen to phone calls, just by pointing a little dish at the same satellite Echelon uses.

elvis
11th July 2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Radar@Jul 4 2004, 11:20 AM
I knew a young fella a number of years ago who used to have all of those key words in his email signature. Every single email he made (including usenet posts - the thing we old farts did before we internet forums) would have obviously been picked up and processed.

I think more people should start doing the same. Lets give these bored information snoopers something to do with their day, shall we? :P

LCGuy
11th July 2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Jul 4 2004, 10:34 PM
I might be leaving this country because of its Govt.

Parts of it still prohibit gays...just let them be.

I can go on, I lived there long enough to justify...RANT RANT RANT&#33;&#33;&#33;

But I won&#39;t...might get me into trouble..the truth always hurts.

Steve
I agree 100%, and have been thinking the samem thing for quite a while. Like...people say that we have free speech here, but its bullshit&#33; And i know that for a fact because i had a bad run in with the law a few years ago for this. I reckon that as soon as i graduate from uni i&#39;m probably gonna move to a different country...like...say...Canada or somewhere else like that. (but still not the US)

kim jong il
11th July 2004, 11:35 PM
Just my 20 cents worth.

Both the US an Au governments have been monitoring all our communications for years. Echelon, which radar speaks of, is the name for a co-operative &#39;intelligence gathering&#39; venture that includes the US, NZ and Australia. ALL our communication is monitored for keywords; after 9/11 they just devoted more computing power to it. The US government has always intruded on the privacy of its citizens (and us) where able, most just are not aware of it (and they don&#39;t advertise it).

Most people would argue that there is little intelligence (if any) involved in any of these governments and their practices. Thankfully I can still download brittney spears with safety. No-one could possibly consider me dangerous if I did that...... Allah be praised